Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Goldplugs

on order with extra washers. Thanks folks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Found on their FAQ.

Should I order extra washers for future replacements?

We suggest replacing your drain plug washer at every oil change. The washer is meant to crush with every use to seal from oil leaks. Replacing your washer every time is cheap insurance. All drain plugs come with one washer.
    I just changed my oil today, 17,000 miles and several oil changes.

This is the first time I put new washers and filter O-Ring on (if you don't count the new case washer I put on after Lamont changed my oil and left the case washer off and I rode a few thousand miles with no washer at all and not a drop of oil leaked out).

Lamont has run many more miles and many more oil changes without changing out any of his copper washers or O-Ring. All with no problems.

All I'm saying is the O-Ring and copper washers will last several oil changes, no problem. The copper washers are NOT Crush Washers!

Crush washers are designed to deform (crush) like the washer on a spark plug. They are good only one time. But the copper washers we use are solid metal and do not 'Crush' or deform so they can be used several times without a problem unless they are damaged.

It is a good idea to have spare washers and a filter O-Ring so that if you find one of them damaged you can complete your oil change without waiting for parts.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have been using antiseize on all kinds of cars, bikes, trucks with aluminum heads on the sparkplugs. If you dont the plugs will seize up and tear the htrwads up the next time you remove them. I have never had any dissimilar metals corrode from any anti seize compound at all. Most owners manulas and workshop manuals even state to use it on aluminum parts using ferrous bolts. About the only place its not recomended is on wheel lug nuts/bolts or other bolts that get vibrated a lot or have a chance of backing out.