Spyder Garage

Default Why don't my Spyder beep

Xpeschon and myself have rode many miles together and today he was working on his bike and when he shut it off it went to beeping. I ask him what that was and he said it was warning him the park brake was not set. Maybe this is a feature only on the SE models since mine is SM. Needless to say we were both surprised, me that his beeped and him that mine did not beep. The beeper would make a good back up alarm.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Yah I would like to know that to,, I almost bet him a pay check ( about $1.23 ) that his would beep if he shut his down in "N",, I'm a witness that it didn't beep, Maybe you are correct Mo Lee in saying that the SE is the only model that does this and not the SM BUT---I find that strange simply cause "N" is "N" on both models and either one of them could role... I'm interested in what people say about this..

X-Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xpeschon View Post
    Yah I would like to know that to,, I almost bet him a pay check ( about $1.23 ) that his would beep if he shut his down in "N",, I'm a witness that it didn't beep, Maybe you are correct Mo Lee in saying that the SE is the only model that does this and not the SM BUT---I find that strange simply cause "N" is "N" on both models and either one of them could role... I'm interested in what people say about this..

X-Joe
    It is a FACT that only SE models will beep if the parking brake is not set when you turn it off.

The SM models do not do have this feature.

Sometimes it's a good thing the 'beeping" to remind you to set it.

Sometimes it's a PIA that it beeps when you want to turn it off and push it a bit to park.

MM

MM

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

SE has the beeper cause it'll roll even if left in gear.

Spyder Garage

The beeper does time out after 10-20 seconds so you can set the parking brake and then release it after the time lapses. I park mine in N against a block in the corner of my garage all the time without beeps.

Spyder Garage

I guess this is a day I learned something new.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    SE has the beeper cause it'll roll even if left in gear.

It will??

Joe

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

It will??

Joe
    Yes, there is nothing to hold it in gear, since the centrifugal clutch disengages.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It will??

Joe
    Yup...I always leave mine go whenever I don't apply the parking break. By the time I get my auld decrepit a** off the Spyder, it's off

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Do you always set your parking break?

Do you always set your parking break? I have not - for I always leave it in gear & now wondering if I should set it everytime.

I am loving my spyder. Thinking of doing a trip to Austin without the husband - for he is heading to NY for a class reunion. Worried about doing it alone - if something was to happen.

Thanks, Carolyn

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mistycrest View Post
    Do you always set your parking break? I have not - for I always leave it in gear & now wondering if I should set it everytime.

I am loving my spyder. Thinking of doing a trip to Austin without the husband - for he is heading to NY for a class reunion. Worried about doing it alone - if something was to happen.

Thanks, Carolyn
    If you have an SE5, then you want to set the parking brake every time. As stated above, this model will still roll even when shut down in gear.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have an RTS. Should I set the parking brake?

Thanks - Spyderwolf.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Red face Beeping spyders

I have the Beep undercontrol!!! Dadgum thing drives me nuts but if you just click it once it shuts up( the brake that is) What bugs me is it DOES NOT BEEP IF YOU LEAVE IT ON!!!!! Very frustrating!!! When in Wi asked the guy there at BRP WHY they couldn't turn that beeping around and have it let me know I still have the park brake ON!!! BUT I guess it's aTHING with se5's. Sooo Who doesn't have a beeper? ( formerly Mackey Mouse)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks - Spyderwolf.
    I would expect the SE5 model of the RT to act the same way, although I do not have one nor have seen one yet. If you have to pull in the clutch and shift gears with your foot, then you are most likely fine just leaving it in gear when you shut it off.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    I have the Beep undercontrol!!! Dadgum thing drives me nuts but if you just click it once it shuts up( the brake that is) What bugs me is it DOES NOT BEEP IF YOU LEAVE IT ON!!!!! Very frustrating!!! When in Wi asked the guy there at BRP WHY they couldn't turn that beeping around and have it let me know I still have the park brake ON!!! BUT I guess it's aTHING with se5's. Sooo Who doesn't have a beeper? ( formerly Mackey Mouse)
    It only shows the little warning light on the dash panel, and I actually rode for several miles one time with mine still on. Fortunately it didn't hurt anything, but I did need to adjust it after that mistake. Now I always make sure to double check that it is completely off before I take off.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Beeping Brake

OH Yeah been there done THAT!!!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Thanks - Spyderwolf.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I would expect the SE5 model of the RT to act the same way, although I do not have one nor have seen one yet. If you have to pull in the clutch and shift gears with your foot, then you are most likely fine just leaving it in gear when you shut it off.
    The SE5 model works the same for either an RS or RT/RTS. The centrifugal clutch disengages, so it will not hold on a slope or if pushed/leaned on...even in gear. Set the brake! You may also want to lock the steering so it can't go far.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks NancysToys & SpyderWolf. I will start setting the parking brake.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why don't my Spyder beep

It is not cursing?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    My dash displays a flashing red symbol if the parking brake is on. I have the SM model.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Default Feeble cable

Cars with auto transmission have a mechanical lock in the Park position so that they can't roll even if the park brake is off.

On a couple of occasions I have caught Lola rolling a minute or two after I dismounted. The brake wasn't holding because the cable was stretching.

This seems to have been remedied with a new cable, but I am surprised that there isn't a mechanical lock instead of this unreliable brake.

Yes it would have cost extra, but I notice that the park brake on the new models is a different design, so the money went somewhere.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    My dash displays a flashing red symbol if the parking brake is on. I have the SM model.
    same with the se5's