Thread: Refueling RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Refueling RT

When refueling the last gallon or so on machine has to be trickle poured to allow the tank to vent. With some of the pump out there this is almost impossible due to the vollume of gas from the pump. Is this common on the RT or is this unique to my machine? Takes me forever to fuel-up.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Typical of all Spyders. Keep the nozzle end near the fill baffle if you can, and pump as slowly as possible. Stop when fuel starts to back up out the baffle vents. If you overfill you can overlow to the evap canister. There has to be some head space left empty. Hope this helps.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default McCuff

Try this...http://www.mccuff.com

I did and no longer have any problems getting a full tank every time.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ryder View Post

Interesting.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just ordered mine. I had seen these when I was on two wheels but had forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder. Fueling the RT-S is a PITA.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Scotty....

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Typical of all Spyders. Keep the nozzle end near the fill baffle if you can, and pump as slowly as possible. Stop when fuel starts to back up out the baffle vents. If you overfill you can overlow to the evap canister. There has to be some head space left empty. Hope this helps.
    I was wondering if you would recommend the "McCuff" as mentioned in this thread? I know the Spyder has to have some empty space, and not sure it the McCuff would over fill the tank as per BRP's advise etc.

John
    Last edited by jrbloise; 07-26-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jrbloise View Post
    I was wondering if you would recommend the "McCuff" as mentioned in this tread? I know the Spyder has to have some empty space, and not sure it the McCuff would over fill the tank as per BRP's advise etc.

John
    I have no experience with such a thing. I also know nobody who has ever used or spoken of one. Not sure how it would work, so I couldn't say either way. I do know that the way the nozzles are built in some states, like Indiana, it is hard to get a decent fill without excess splashing out of the baffle. Seems like a pain to carry around that smelly gasoline funnel, however. I think I would rather just adjust to the conditions at hand.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Not as inconvenient as one might think...

I have no experience with such a thing. I also know nobody who has ever used or spoken of one. Not sure how it would work, so I couldn't say either way. I do know that the way the nozzles are built in some states, like Indiana, it is hard to get a decent fill without excess splashing out of the baffle. Seems like a pain to carry around that smelly gasoline funnel, however. I think I would rather just adjust to the conditions at hand.
    The McCuff is made out of a hard rubber that doesn't seem to absorb fuel odor nor does it actually come in contact with fuel when used properly. Comes in a small black ballistic nylon bag and doesn't take more space than a baseball.

It slides onto the nozzle and raises the nozzle and pressure sensor high enough to allow a smooth, complete fill. One benefit was more predictability to the fuel range as the tank always seemed to fill to roughly the same level. (Of course, other factors also affect mileage.)

Hey, I'm not pushing it, just relaying my experience.

Spyder Garage

When filling up after riding and having a hot engine and hot gasoline in the tank, the vapors in the tank will cause the nozzle to shut off if I try and fill it fast. I just go slowly until the gas going in cools of the gas in tank and the hot vapors are gone. Then I can proceed with a steady stream going in the tank.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I have it. and it %&% sucks. I wish I never bought the $20 thing. It does not work with the Spyder and its hose during fillup.
    Last edited by Sopher; 08-01-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Looks like we have one pro and one con.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    I have it. and it %&% sucks. I wish I never bought the $20 thing. It does not work with the Spyder and its whoes during fillup.

I'll give you 5 bucks for it-then you'll only be out $15

Seriously, you can get them on ebay for $8.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tank-...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by SC_DOC; 07-28-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added information

Spyder Garage

Default Here's another Con!!!

I have the McCuff.. and I echo.. is sucks... well to be more precise...it blows....fuel all over my RT. Here where we live, they don't have vapor sniffers, so I can't address how they perform with that "THING"... Thank goodness!!! Every single fuel pump nozzle I've tried with McCuff was smaller than the opening in the McCuff...so when I was filling my tank, instead of fuel blowing out of the vent holes in the tank baffle, it just blew out the top of the McCuff with the same result. A freaking mess!! Anyone out there can have mine for $5 + postage.. I will fore-go the handling charges.. Len

Quote Originally Posted by canam9 View Post
    Looks like we have one pro and one con.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting...

I thought all fuel nozzles were of the same outer diameter, and the only difference state-to-state was the use of the vapor collectors. How much larger is the McCuff inner diameter than the nozzles in Florida? Please don't get mad - but I assume you are sliding it on with the small cone facing the tank?

Just trying to understand what's happening. Sorry it has been a bust for you.

Spyder Garage

Default It doesn't fit...

The McCuff just doesn't fit the nozzles. Spray comes out the nozzle hole and all over my Spyder... Can't address nozzle size all over the country.. Just want rid of the thing... Price is now down to $3 plus shipping... Len

I thought all fuel nozzles were of the same outer diameter, and the only difference state-to-state was the use of the vapor collectors. How much larger is the McCuff inner diameter than the nozzles in Florida? Please don't get mad - but I assume you are sliding it on with the small cone facing the tank?

Just trying to understand what's happening. Sorry it has been a bust for you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I would feel the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    The McCuff just doesn't fit the nozzles. Spray comes out the nozzle hole and all over my Spyder... Can't address nozzle size all over the country.. Just want rid of the thing... Price is now down to $3 plus shipping... Len
    I would react the same as you. Sorry. What I just learned from this thread is that the nozzles across states may be sized differently. I always thought they had been standardized. I expect to have the same problem as you some day. So far, I haven't wandered from the west coast and southwest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting forum. I just bought my ride and was on Goog's looking for forums so i can socialize :-) This one is awesome.

Anyhow, this thread caught my eye because i actually have one of these things.
    Even a toothbrush wont work if you don't use it correctly
    I have a mccuff thingy too. Yeah, here's my truth.... I LOVE IT.

It's simple and works. You'll love it. I recommend it 5 Stars.

There is one CAVEAT though.... You MUST KNOW HOW TO READ. (Spelling is optional LOL, as in "SOPHERS" post up there where he spells HOSE as "WHOES". Maybe HO's would'a been better. HEH )

That's right you need to know how to read, see the instructions come with it and even something this simple can be misused. I know because I misused it once.

So I called in and spoke to a customer service person.

The nozzle is SUPPOSED to fit loosely to allow the air pressure being expelled from the tank to easily be released.

There is NOT supposed to be a tight seal.

Having said this, there is usually a hole at the very tip of the nozzle that activates the auto-shut off sensor in the pump.

This hole MUST be inside your tank beyond the metal baffle.

Repeat, it MUST be inside your tank beyond and inside your actual tank.

This is how the auto shutoff knows where to stop and click off.

My experience with the Mccuff thing is awesome because you place it on your tank FIRST and then fill up at medium or slow stream and you can even let the auto lever on and it will click off when your tank is perfectly filled without any spills or problems whatsoever.

Geeeees, maybe we shouldn't trust some of ya's with a toaster.

Just kiddin, I'm new here so let me have it!

Oh and btw, you can't get it on EBAY for $8.99, get real. I clicked on that link and that was an expired listing. The owner of the listing has a new listing where it is $10 + $8 for shipping. ($8 for shipping???) sheesh. Whate'va. Looks like a popular item for him though.

Be nice....

Tim da Man
    Last edited by Questions; 07-30-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: data change

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydermann View Post
    Interesting forum. I just bought my ride and was on Goog's looking for forums so i can socialize :-) This one is awesome.

There is one CAVEAT though.... You MUST KNOW HOW TO READ. (Spelling is optional LOL, as in "SOPHERS" post up there where he spells HOSE as "WHOES". Maybe HO's would'a been better. HEH )

That's right you need to know how to read, see the instructions come with it and even something this simple can be misused. I know because I misused it once.

The nozzle is SUPPOSED to fit loosely to allow the air pressure being expelled from the tank to easily be released.

Having said this, there is usually a hole at the very tip of the nozzle that activates the auto-shut off sensor in the pump.

My experience with the Mccuff thing is awesome because you place it on your tank FIRST and then fill up at medium or slow stream and you can even let the auto lever on and it will click off when your tank is perfectly filled without any spills or problems whatsoever.

Oh and btw, you can't get it on EBAY for $8.99, get real. I clicked on that link and that was an expired listing. The owner of the listing has a new listing where it is $10 + $8 for shipping. ($8 for shipping???) sheesh. Whate'va. Looks like a popular item for him though.

Be nice....

Tim da Man
    I don't think there is a need to be insulting here. You raise some good points, but this isn't a forum for fire and flames. Let's keep it civil...and not personal!

The information about the auto shutoff sensor hole in the nozzle is correct. It is supposed to be in the tank, with the baffle (and cuff) above that. Trouble is this reduces the tank capacity even more, and fuel may still shoot forcibly out the baffle vents on a Spyder as the tank nears full. In some cases, the cuff would prevent this from splashing out. Some states around Michigan have vastly different nozzles, probably prescribed by law. Several near here have an additional row of four large vent holes in the nozzle, about two inches above the shut-off sensor hole and nozzle end. These splash out gas no matter how carefully you fill. If they are not inside the tank baffle, they will invariably spew fuel when shut-off occurs. No cuff will help here! Vapor recovery nozzles impose yet another problem. They are designed to be fully inserted, and must be held back to fill a motorcycle. I doubt the cuff would help much, unless it is stiff enough to hold these up instead of using your hand. Finally, there seems to be a real big difference from station to station, state to state, and brand to brand, as to the speed that the fuel is discharged from the nozzle, and the amount of control just off "stop". A fast flowing nozzle will pose a challenge in filling a motorcycle. The faster the fuel goes in, the harder it shoots from the tank baffle vents, when near full. In short, the McCuff may work some places, and not in others. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydermann View Post

Be nice....

Tim da Man
    welcome

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Good summary...

I don't think there is a need to be insulting here. You raise some good points, but this isn't a forum for fire and flames. Let's keep it civil...and not personal!

The information about the auto shutoff sensor hole in the nozzle is correct. It is supposed to be in the tank, with the baffle (and cuff) above that. Trouble is this reduces the tank capacity even more, and fuel may still shoot forcibly out the baffle vents on a Spyder as the tank nears full. In some cases, the cuff would prevent this from splashing out. Some states around Michigan have vastly different nozzles, probably prescribed by law. Several near here have an additional row of four large vent holes in the nozzle, about two inches above the shut-off sensor hole and nozzle end. These splash out gas no matter how carefully you fill. If they are not inside the tank baffle, they will invariably spew fuel when shut-off occurs. No cuff will help here! Vapor recovery nozzles impose yet another problem. They are designed to be fully inserted, and must be held back to fill a motorcycle. I doubt the cuff would help much, unless it is stiff enough to hold these up instead of using your hand. Finally, there seems to be a real big difference from station to station, state to state, and brand to brand, as to the speed that the fuel is discharged from the nozzle, and the amount of control just off "stop". A fast flowing nozzle will pose a challenge in filling a motorcycle. The faster the fuel goes in, the harder it shoots from the tank baffle vents, when near full. In short, the McCuff may work some places, and not in others. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
    Scotty - I think you've summarized the problems nicely. I haven't had any problems, but I've only filled in CA and NV. Again, the interesting part of this thread is the state by state variations in nozzles. I did know that some states had different kinds of vapor recovery designs, but I was unaware of the differences in size and sensor hole placements. BTW - I had the best performance of the cuff in CA, a little less efficient in NV.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Apologies if i seemed insulting.

True, a forum is for good exchanges mostly.

I think the negative responses to the product were somewhat insulting and unfounded to the initial forum poster AND the product itself, while he was trying to offer some helpful tips based on his own experience.

Scotty, yes, but the malfunction shouldn't be atributed to the product. But instead to the pump that has a malfunctioning or NON-functioning autoshutoff system altogether.

The capacity of the tank will be fully utilized with the device in that you can set the distance of the hole from the top off point whereever you feel comfortable.

Additionally, the mccuff is solid rubber or something that feels like rubber. It seems designed to do, just what you said it wouldnt which is "hold up" the nozzle vapor recovery to the right level so as to obtain a steady stream of fuel. You can see videos of it somewhere online. Including their website.

But yes, I'll go with your suggestion. I'm a newbie here.

Oh, I wanted to say when i bought mine from their website I entered in a "promo code" that my Spyder Dealer gave me, it saved me 10%. I don't know if it still works but it was: OHU

Gotta lay low

Last edited by Questions; 07-31-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I have not seen the McCuff, but it did look to me as it was designed to hold up the vapor recovery sleeve. For that purpose, it would sure beat getting your hands gassy smelling. In Michigan, we have neither vapor recovery nozzles, nor extra vents in the nozzle snout, as the surrounding states do. Because of that, it is easy to place the nozzle barely into the no-lead baffle, with the shutoff port outside. This allows maximum fill, but will not auto shut off. You have to stop when the fuel begins to back up out the nozzle vents. Even at this, the fuel will be down about 1/2" from the baffle. In other states I have visited, especially those with vents a couple of inches above the shutoff port, the vents have to be below the baffle. This forces auto shut off, but makes it very difficult to get a decent fill. Some of these nozzles fill really fast, and will blow fuel out the baffle vents almost continuously. It is too bad there is not a device like the McCuff to help with those.

Spyder Garage

And in Texas, the nozzles are different from station to station. I usually get my car gas at Sam's, but the nozzle system there (vapor recovery sleeve has to be pulled back about 2 inches) won't work on the Spyder. So I go to the Valero station that has just a bare nozzle, no vapor recovery sleeve. And fill up as Scotty describes.... the trickle method.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715