Thread: out of luck

Spyder Garage

Default out of luck

spydie broke showing vss fault check dps going into limp home mode. had it to the dealer twice thinks he has it fixed, & whammy it happens again also the brakes are being applied nothing bad has happened yet. Ihope not.
    48 down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BMW View Post
    spydie broke showing vss fault check dps going into limp home mode. had it to the dealer twice thinks he has it fixed, & whammy it happens again also the brakes are being applied nothing bad has happened yet. Ihope not.
    pardon my dumbassness if you tried this right away but have you shut your spyder off taken the top of the fuse box off made sure the DPS relay is pushed all the way in? Had this issue and had to tape a pennie on top of the fuse box cover to keep them from coming lose, especially on bumpy roads like you seem to be hitting. It would be great if this was the fix, you have to shut the spyder down to do this of course I mean the key in the off position with the parking brake on.
    or switch out your headlight relay with the dps relay.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, those relays have a way of working themselves loose. I've had to push on mine more times than I can count.

Oh, and get a spare or two to keep with you.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

My spouse and I were with BMW when his latest problems were occuring. It is very scary to have a machine break down 4 or 5 times on a 125 mile ride. I have mostly posted positive things about the Spyder, but I am also becoming a bit less confident in the machine. My RTS started doing "funny" computer things such as engine light came on and bike went into limp mode for no apparant reason. I have my RTS in the shop today for the clutch recall and to find out what is going on with the computer. The scarry part is, this is taking place in Alaska where repair shops are few and far between. BMW still has a 5000 mile ride home to deal with. Both of us were out on the Alcan Highway last week and were fortunate not to have had problems out there. BMW was riding alone on his trip. The reliability issues on Spyders need to be addressed by BRP, or they are going to lose their touring market very fast. I for one, do not wish to be stranded by a machine with a cranky computer or some of the other quirks that I have been reading about. UPDATE: The Spyder is back from the shop today and runs very smooth with the updated clutch fix. It appears that the light I was getting, was caused by the clutch acting up before the fix. I also went back to two wheels because I got a really good deal on a left over 2009 that fits me. After 300 miles on my first ride, I realize I missed the two wheel style of riding. I guess you can say that I am once again a happy camper.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-26-2010 at 01:50 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    . I am thinking about going back to two wheels so that I have a back-up machine when my RTS is down. I wont be opting for any new or improved version in the near future. I guess that BRP will have to wait and see if I buy Spyder #4.
    while my GS was in the shop i bought a back up two wheeler.
    I put 83 miles on the Spyder since getting it back, And 300+ miles on the new two wheeler in a week. BRP has to do something about parts [slow] delivery.

Spyder Garage

That sequence of failures usualy indicates a problem with the yaw sensor or steering angle sensor, but if the brakes are coming on, you could even have a bad VCM. Not likely that a bad sensor would put on the brakes, although a bad steering angle sensor could conceivably trigger it, when the SAS did not agree with the steering torque sensor. Very difficult position to be in, that far from home. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your input. I think the problem is solved. Had a cable front brake installed last year. aperently the cable got cloged with mud or sand from the road construction up here. anyway the break is disconnected & I took it for a 75 mi ride no problems. the hand break was holding the brakes on and causeing the engine to work harder & throwing up the faults. Dum me I'll go with the hyd. slave hand brake when I get home. cable causes to many problems. I have to give a big hand to the people at TEAM CC Hal, Chuck & Jay they are a great bunch of guys went out of there way to help me out. Will know for sure tomorrow as akspyderman & II are going for another ride. If anyone get to this neck of the woods stop in and say hello to this group. In wasilla & eagle river. If they can help you they will.
    48 down.

Spyder Garage

Wow, that's off the wall. Incredible troubleshooting. Kudos to the tech!

Godspeed!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    My spouse and I were with BMW when his latest problems were occuring. It is very scary to have a machine break down 4 or 5 times on a 125 mile ride. I have mostly posted positive things about the Spyder, but I am also becoming a bit less confident in the machine. My RTS started doing "funny" computer things such as engine light came on and bike went into limp mode for no apparant reason. I have my RTS in the shop today for the clutch recall and to find out what is going on with the computer. The scarry part is, this is taking place in Alaska where repair shops are few and far between. BMW still has a 5000 mile ride home to deal with. Both of us were out on the Alcan Highway last week and were fortunate not to have had problems out there. BMW was riding alone on his trip. The reliability issues on Spyders need to be addressed by BRP, or they are going to lose their touring market very fast. I for one, do not wish to be stranded by a machine with a cranky computer or some of the other quirks that I have been reading about. I am thinking about going back to two wheels so that I have a back-up machine when my RTS is down. I wont be opting for any new or improved version in the near future. I guess that BRP will have to wait and see if I buy Spyder #4.
    Some friends of mine were on the alcan last week and saw some spyders, be funny if it was you.
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Black RT and Red RS driving together. We were on the Alcan Hwy between the 17th and 19th of July, between Tok AK, Whitehorse Yukon, and Skagway, AK (Klondike Hwy leg). Saw only one other Spyder on the trip, an RT orbital blue, driving with some two wheelers down around Tok, AK.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-25-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Glad to know there are good mechs in Alaska.

Hope the rest of your travels go smoothly.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

I have updated my previous post about the RT-S problems earlier. I am once again a happy camper with the RT-S
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My 2009 SE5 went into the Limp Mode in Topeka KS. Reseated the relays (which have been a problem) with no correction.

Had it towed to Topeka Powersports...solution was simple. I had blown the fuse that controls the brake lights. Computer decides that's a safety issue and shuts down

I had a full set of fuses and could have resolved the problem in 5 minutes had i known that's what it was. If i ever go into the Limp Mode again, first thing I'll check are the fuses
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5