Thread: RT Clearance

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Clearance

On my trip a week ago coming out of a small town, following a pickup at 50mph. I was about 2 car lengths behind. He straddled an object in the road but due to the speed and reation time I was unable to do so. The object was an altenator with double pulley. Since it stuck up about 6" to 7" the Syder was no able to straddle. Result was a hole the size of the altenator in my skid plate and front storage bin. Both are on backorder.

I was curious if anyone here has had a similiar incident and also what thoughts might come out if I were to put a 1/8th inch piece of alumium in instead of the plastic skid plate?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW, as I slowed down to pull over to see if the damage was diasabling the altenator fell out of the storage bin and rolled off to the side of the road.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the damage yet. I'm planning on getting some when the parts are removed to be replaced.
    Gaylord "Norm"
    Nebraska

Spyder Garage

Its tough to straddle with 3 wheels as you found out the hard way. I think your plate idea is good ! Still hitting an alternator at 50 you might cause damage some where else.
    Last edited by fastfraser; 07-22-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I am sorry for your misfortune, but the thought (and mental picture) of that alternator falling out of your trunk after you stopped, cracked me up! A good story makes hard luck easier to bear.

Hey, how about some nerf bars? Maybe that would have pushed the junk out of the way, like a railroad engine cowcatcher. Seriously, the aluminum skid plate sounds like a winner.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Something to think about

I nevervthought about growing clearance prior to your post. I will now!

Out of curiosity, is there anything not on backorder at BRP?

Spyder Garage

Wink

Just an FYI... It is actually much better you have plastic than Aluminum...

1. Plastic absorbs more of the "Impact" blow than Aluminum. Aluminum takes the impact of course, but transfers the "Energy" of the impact to the next object.. Plastic takes it all unless the object still has enough energy to keep going.
    2. Aluminum bends... stays that way, and many times actually causes more damage, where plastic "Kind of" goes back towards it's original position.
    3. Removing damaged plastic items is far easier than aluminum items that have had significant impacts...

Just ask any off road person. The plastic ones normally only take one blow, where the aluminum can take many... But once we get to a certain point... the gains in the use of aluminum are lost.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Imagine what would have happened if the plastic hadn't taken the hit:

The alternator would have gone under the front end, launching it up in the air. While you were fighting that wild ride, the rear wheel would have hit it, probably destroying the tire & wheel and possibly causing you to totally lose control or even fall off.

I personally would would be happy the skidplate sacrificed itself.

Think about what would have happened if you'd have been on two wheels and hit it with the front wheel.....on second thought maybe you don't want to think about that one too hard.
    John

2010 Spyder RT-S
    2010 Yamaha vMax
    2009 Yamaha vMax Dragbike, 284 RWHP 171# RWTQ
    2004 Yamaha vMax Supercharged
    1993 Yamaha GTS1000
    1999 Shelby Series 1 Supercharged
    1969 Camaro 502/T56
    1967 Shelby TransAm Mustang
    1966 427 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 289 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 427 Shelby Comp Cobra
    1964 289 Shelby Comp Cobra
    Way Too Many Others

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The three wheeled concept is apparently hard for me to grasp? The very first day I had the bike I went down the drive on it after trailering it home. I live in the country so I am quite used to seeing roadkill from bear to deer and every creature in between. My driveway is gravel and quite steep and going down it I noticed a freshly killed possum at the bottom in the road. The right side is right next to a blind curve which people love to speed around not knowing what is ahead of them so I was concerned with that and just using my normal reaction I staddled the possum with the front two wheels and looked hard to the right. I dang near was the first person to be lifted into earth orbit using a possum for a liftoff vehicle! Not to mention the blood and guts I had now implanted all over the rear of my brand new trike. When I landed back down on the seat I had to pull over to check the damage and to get over the laughing fit I was suffering through. Next stop was the car wash to try and remove the fresh blood and guts and regain my composure a bit. Laugh about it then and now and there was nothing but cosmetic damage so all was well. Great start huh? Bill

Spyder Garage

I was headed on I-4 going to court in Orlando. I'd say I was going about 60 and probably was a bit too close to the traffic in front. Low and behold I saw an armadillo coming from underneath the car in front of me. That sucker was on his back with his feet just a moving.
    I sure tried to avoid, but to no avail. My back wheel caught that critter slap dab in the middle. I'd say I must have put him out of his misery. It didn't do all that much to my spyder though.

Chris PE # 0004

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Okay, good news, the parts are in, came in tuesday. I'm getting the repairs done Saturday, 31st. I'll try to get some pictures. Not sure how to post them but I'll figure it out.

Thanks to all for the comments on my thoughts of the alternate skid plate.

Depending on the cost to repair, I may still keep open my options.
    Gaylord "Norm"
    Nebraska

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Repairs completed. $703.00 Other damage noticed at the shop once they had the front clip off was a bent frame at the right sway bar. Dealer straightened it as best he could. Doesn't appear to affect the way it handles. The alternative to straightening the frame was replacement . 35 hrs to tear it down to the frame. I just hope I don't encounter some problems down the road.

I don't have a website to post pictures from so can't post the pictures I took.
    Gaylord "Norm"
    Nebraska

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Repairs completed. $703.00 Other damage noticed at the shop once they had the front clip off was a bent frame at the right sway bar. Dealer straightened it as best he could. Doesn't appear to affect the way it handles. The alternative to straightening the frame was replacement . 35 hrs to tear it down to the frame. I just hope I don't encounter some problems down the road.

I don't have a website to post pictures from so can't post the pictures I took.
    photobucket is your friend