Spyder Garage

Default A thought about the trailer

Just picked up my trailer and like everyone else, I love it. But I do have a question.

When I disconnected the electrical connection the bike knew the trailer was no longer attached so it automatically went to No Trailer mode. Cool. Why when I hook the trailer to the bike do I have to manually put it in Trailer mode, shouldn't it just do this automatically since the manual says to never ride in No Trailer mode with the trailer attached.

Just curious....

Mike

Spyder Garage

The RT does not "know when the trailer is hooked or unhooked automatically.

However, the RT will return to "NO TRAILER MODE" everytime it is turned off and restarted. (somewhat of a pain when you pull a trailer all the time)

Therefore you must remember to put it back into 'TRAILER MODE" everytime you restart the RT.

The "TRAILER MODE" changes the upshift RPM points and down shift RPM points to better keep the RT in the proper power band with the extra load of a trailer behind.

If you do a search, you will find several post about this topic from awhile ago.

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yupper the RT-S doesn't know when the trailer is there or not and yes thus far I have to put the darn thing into trailer mode everytime I stop for fuel or anything. That sure is an oversight on their part in the programming. Today because I noticed the gas guage doesn't bounce all over the place when the RT is in trailer mode I drove awhile without the trailer on but in trailer mode. I am not 100% sure just yet but the trailer mode seems to solve the bouncing of the gas guage, further testing will be necessary. Wonder why that is?
    I drove home from the dealer with the trailer on without being in trailer mode and nothing wild transpired and indeed the trailer and whole unit drove and handled just fine. Now of course this was before the dealer or I knew that everytime it was turned off it went out of trailer mode. Matter of fact later the dealer told me he didn't even know there was a trailer mode. I will have to tell him that it goes out of trailer mode everytime it is turned off the next time I visit there. They are fast tracking into knowing what they sell of the RT-S's and other Can Am products too. This is a learning experience for me too even after 2 years on the old SE-5 2008 model. Bill

Spyder Garage

I see. I thought that it dropped trailer mode because I disconnected the electrical hookup, instead it was simply because I turned the bike off. Seems like a design flaw.

However, now that I understand that, I find that the screen with the two pictures of trailers, one with an X through it for No Trailer, and the other without the X for Trailer Mode, no longer appears. I can go to the options mode, scroll down to trailer and select it that way (haven't tried it with the trailer yet), but the picture screen is gone. I did a search and didn't find this problem listed.

Thinking back on the screens, I recall only seeing the picture screen occasionally. Must be something else that I'm missing...

Mike

Spyder Garage

As far as dropping out of trailer mode when the ignition is turned off, every truck I've had with trailer mode does the same thing, just something else to remember when towing.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I believe the screen with the two pictures only appears when you want to change while running the trike. If you are trying to find it when turned off I believe it is not available. Not trying to be critical but it would seem you need to read the owners manual and if it is possible (which at my age I find hard to do) remember what you have read and apply it. There is indeed way to much for my simple old body and mind to assimilate in one or many trips through the owners manual and I find mine is getting dog eared already. Bill

Spyder Garage

To get it into trailer mode while driving hit the mode button 4 times and then the left select button once. It will not show if you're not moving.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, appreciate your help. I am guilty of not checking the Owner's Manual. It's so easy to be sitting at the computer when something comes to mind and just fire off a question without doing my homework.

I did check the manual, and sure enough it's right there in black and white.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Manual shift.........no issues..

Spyder Garage

Now you tell me Dave

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Images on RECC...

It's been my observation that when you're stopped (0-2 mph or so), the menu at the end of the mode scroll is in full view, but once you get above 3 mph or so, the ONLY thing that is then displayed on that page are the two trailer images (one with and one without the X).

You can try it by scrolling to that page and then accelerating from a stop, and you'll see the screen flip to the trailer images.

I'd like to think that the lack of "auto-recognition" of the trailer could be an update that might be coming...... wouldn't that be validation that the Can-Am engineers are monitoring these posts?!

Nonetheless, my wife and I love our RTS and can't get enough time to ride it!