Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Changed the oil on FB's SE5....

Wow..... had to pretty much strip down the left side to do that....quite a difference from all the bikes I have worked on. We bought the bike with 1700 miles, and it had the oil changed at least once.... The dealer must have had a GORILLA put the drain plugs back in. I couldn't budge 'em.... put a torque wrench on the allen head... 100ft/lbs..... NO BUDGE..... They must have put them back in with a hammer wrench......
    Was skeeered I would round out the allen head.... so put a vise gripe on the head of the plug and gave it a tap with a hammer. Came right loose....same with the crank drain.....Geez.... they must have run it up with an impact ......but, all is good ...oil and tranny filters changed....fresh oil.... life is good....FB has 3000 miles in a month!!!!!!!! I need to build a lift the will pick up my bike and FB's Spyder..... It is built in my mind!!!!....gotta have a vision! I'm WAY too old to lay on the ground working on bikes...LOL

Spyder Garage

Those plugs can be a real booger. If you leave the splash pans off you only have to pull the oil tank cover.

Spyder Garage

Default Before he asks...

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Those plugs can be a real booger. If you leave the splash pans off you only have to pull the oil tank cover.
    These are the splash pans that you recommended me to remove about a year ago, to ride cooler in torrid Maracaibo... Thanks Lamont.
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Spyder Garage

I wish I could use my mityvac for oil changes but I dont think it'll work with the dry sump.
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Okay-- one question---- What' and FB?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    flamingobabe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    Wow..... had to pretty much strip down the left side to do that....quite a difference from all the bikes I have worked on...
    It's about time you did something constructive!

How does FB like her ride? How is yours?

I think I'm about ready to sell the Valk and ride the T-bird exclusively for a while.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    It's about time you did something constructive!

How does FB like her ride? How is yours?

I think I'm about ready to sell the Valk and ride the T-bird exclusively for a while.

LOL.... yep... just been lazzin around since I retired....NOT....
    FB LOVES the Spyder!!!!! She put 3000 miles on it last month
    I put some risers on it, and left stubs on the old handlebars and have mounted clamps to them that will cinnect to a black 7/8" dragbar that will run from one side to the other. This will give FB to put things like: drinkholder, iPod, GPS, whatever she needs....Looks good sofar.... the dragber is on backorder, but will cut and weld it to brackets that attach to the clamps....then powdercoat black. Next will be more lights.... as big as the Spyder is, kinda hard ta see....Mudflap lights that work as running, turn, and brake would be cool.... may need to run extra wire to make it work with brakes.
    I'm still liking my bike... people always ask me " What kinda Harley is that".....even at the Harley shop....It doesn't look like yer grandpa's electraglide...LOL
    The BBQ (Gatherin' 'O' the Fools) is coming the 1st weekend in April!!!!!! hope ya can make it this year....put it on yer calander!!!!!!
    Hard ta believe ya would sell the valk....are ya still riding it?
    hg
    Last edited by hotglue; 07-22-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    FB (Flamingobabe) is the one that causes me say....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    These are the splash pans that you recommended me to remove about a year ago, to ride cooler in torrid Maracaibo... Thanks Lamont.
    Does pulling the splash pans help cool things down on the left side when riding? the ex pipe on that side sure builds up some heat....been thinking about wrapping the pipe....
    I only pulled the rear pan to change the oil.....plus all the upper left had side panels..LOL
    Last edited by hotglue; 07-22-2010 at 09:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Can't tell...

Does pulling the splash pans help cool things down on the left side when riding? the ex pipe on that side sure builds up some heat....been thinking about wrapping the pipe....
    I only pulled the rear pan to change the oil.....plus all the upper left had side panels..LOL
    I sometimes ride my SE5 with my prosthetic left leg, sometimes without it, so I can't tell...

But overall it has helped cool things down a little, especially when riding in stop and go traffic in Maracaibo...

And it makes the oil changes easier to do.

Saludos, Pilo

Spyder Garage

...Hard ta believe ya would sell the valk....are ya still riding it?
    hg
    Not much at all. It sat for more than a year (after getting the Spyder and now the T-Bird) and de-gunking the six carbs was a real bugger.

Finally got it running right and need to sell it before it gunks up again. The T-Bird, with ABS and FI, is much better for me.

Last edited by ataDude; 07-23-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Maricabo, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    It's been a long time but I spent mucho tiempo in Maricaibo & Caracas. Not certain which is more beautiful, your country or your women?? OK, the woman. Via con Dios
    Lo Gringo
    Last edited by bruceofthebronx; 07-23-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default El gringo del Bronx

Quote Originally Posted by bruceofthebronx View Post
    It's been a long time but I spent mucho tiempo in Maricaibo & Caracas. Not certain which is more beautiful, your country or your women?? OK, the woman. Via con Dios
    Lo Gringo
    Bruce:

I am an Argentinean transplanted to Venezuela some 30+ years ago...

Unfortunately the country (not the women) is slowly but surely deteriorating politically, economically, and socially due to the threat of communism...

I am in the very early stages of my Plan B: going back to Argentina with my family (all 3 are Venezuelans). Sad situation...

I will be taking my Spyder with me, of course...

Regards, Pilo

Spyder Garage

Smile Good luck to you.

Venezuela is a sad story but my memories of the country and the people will always shine. Sure hope your relocation goes smooth. Via con Dios.

Spyder Garage

Default Cracked off drain plug when Changing Oil today- HELP

I did the unthinkable, I cracked off the head of my Engine drain plug. I used a torque wrench, set at 15 ft/lbs but the *&$%ing head just cracked off. Anyone know of any freat extraction tools? Any input would be appreciated.