Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Warranty Question

Here's a question for all of you out there. How many have run out of their factory warranty and didn't buy the BEST extended warranty. Have you had any regrets for not buying it? The reason I'm asking is my factory warrany is up in August and am considering not purchasing the extended warranty. I know alot of you will think I'm nuts, but, after listening to all what some have had to go thru, not sure if it's worth it. I think BRP was blindsided by the immense interest in the Spyder and were not ready for the aftermath of the parts backorders, incompetent dealers and techs that have had only a few hours of instruction. Don't think I like paying upwards of 90 bucks an hour for his on the job training and then getting it back and can't trust the work. I've been doing all my own maintenance on mine and am looking at a class at the local community college to gain more knowledge. After 42 years of working on Harley's, I think I can figure out this little beast better than some tech with limited knowledge. Go ahead and tell me how crazy I am, I can take the bad with the good.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The only reason I purchased the BEST to extend for 3 more years, free parts. One month after my factory died, my ECM went out. It has almost already paid for itself. There is no doubt another part will fail at one point and I don't have to worry about it. The other problem is, yes, I could have changed it out myself but then the BUDS brings up another problem which is often required after fixing something so unless you are the very few that have the hacked version of Buds floating around on the internet and you did get it to work right, your options are limited regardless how many wrenches you have turned in a life time. It sucks, I know.

Very Happy Owner

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First, BEST is not free: enrolment + $50/ incident. However, if DPS failed, only the part is up to $970. My advice: BEST.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

do they send out info on the best warranty when your factory is up? I have not got anything and mine is up at the end of the month

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gjco View Post
    do they send out info on the best warranty when your factory is up? I have not got anything and mine is up at the end of the month
    Nothing is sent out. You need to purchase it before your warranty expires! Contact your dealer ASAP if you are interested, or contact Bert's Mega Mall from the SpyderLovers home page.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I delayed purchasing the extended BEST warranty as long as I could - but in the end I caved ! My husband is very handy and can fix anything under the sun - but I would still have to shell out $$$ for parts. The extended warranty I am sure will pay for itself in the end for the cost of parts alone (sad as this may be). My cost with taxes was $1073 for an additional 3 years - that's only $357-ish per year. I already replaced DPS, 2 oil pressure switches, 2 batteries ...so I'm justifying this expense as an investment .

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly !

Spyder Garage

B.E.S.T. I think is a good investment and i gives you up to 3 extra years of coverage for 50 bucks a pop.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Wink

Just my $.02...... I am not much of a fan of extended warranties. Mainly because they are shoved down our throats now at seems any time we spend $30 or more on an item in an electrics store. I am a techy guy and am always getting the new stuff. So I am sure that is where I have built my resentment from. Just tired of being "Pitched" all the darn time.

However, I do have a simple rule.

If there are not thousands of the same item/vehicle already on the market (This means I can go to several places for parts in stock and cheaper than when a specialty item) or it is the first year of this item on the market, and I plan to keep the item for five years or more. I buy the extended warranty every single time. I know this going in, and negotiate a "Fare" price that the dealer makes $$ and I feel I saved $$...

IMHO... Buying a Spyder without an extra 3 year warranty is a gamble. There are to many other things in my life that need time and attention. So the $750-$1050 folks pay for the warranty sounds like a reasonable deal to me.

I leave you with this final thought. Any time a dealer has to remove all of the body panel on an RT... It takes time. I would rather the extended warranty take the brunt of the cost overruns (They do happen), not me...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

do you have to have the money up front or will they bill you for the best warranty?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

do you have to have the money up front or will they bill you for the best warranty?
    Upfront, sorry to say..

Spyder Garage

There's always a credit card ... as long as you'll pay it off quickly.

(former banker)
    Dan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Must have if it is a keeper,also it is good when you go to sell.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gonna do it.

Quote Originally Posted by canam9 View Post
    Must have if it is a keeper,also it is good when you go to sell.
    Good point. Guess I'll bite the bullet and get the 3 year warranty. Talked to my dealer today and they're going to waive the $75.00 per yr surcharge for me, so that is a help there. Saves me $225.00 off the top. And they don't care if I do my own maintenance. If I do it, I'll know it's done right. Figured it's good insurance if a ECM, DPS, or something like that goes out, I'm covered. If I'm one of the lucky ones that it doesn't, at least I'll have some peace of mind that at least I had it. Thanks to all that responded to my thread.

Spyder Garage

Why I caved and got BEST.....

The Spyder is so freakin computerized, it has to be hooked up to the Mother Ship to be fixed in many cases. Dealers are the only ones with BUDS. So you gotta take it there.

HDX's warranty ran out on his Harley. He had a bad bearing in the primary - it would have been a costly job if it were in the shop but he knows how to fix anything if it DOESN'T have to be hooked up to the Mother Ship. If we had the Mother Ship at home, he could fix it no problem. He fixed his HD himself for under $100. If he had to bring it in, it probably would have cost him $500 - $600. But it didn't have to be hooked up to a BUDS type computer program.

Now if we had BUDS at home, there would be no need to bring it into the dealer.

That is where they get you - not saying in a mean way but really - BUDS - dealers only. It will cost you lots of money once your warranty runs out if you break down. This machine isn't exactly run of the mill when it comes to upkeep - seems more like a pedigree dog. But I ryde it, I'm enjoying it. I just don't like the whole BUDS and computerization thing. But can't change it so gotta accept it.

Also I am sure HD and other bikes have computer chips in them as well. And I am sure they gotta go to the dealer too but not for every little thing, right?

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rider2554 View Post
    Here's a question for all of you out there. How many have run out of their factory warranty and didn't buy the BEST extended warranty. Have you had any regrets for not buying it? The reason I'm asking is my factory warrany is up in August and am considering not purchasing the extended warranty. I know alot of you will think I'm nuts, but, after listening to all what some have had to go thru, not sure if it's worth it. I think BRP was blindsided by the immense interest in the Spyder and were not ready for the aftermath of the parts backorders, incompetent dealers and techs that have had only a few hours of instruction. Don't think I like paying upwards of 90 bucks an hour for his on the job training and then getting it back and can't trust the work. I've been doing all my own maintenance on mine and am looking at a class at the local community college to gain more knowledge. After 42 years of working on Harley's, I think I can figure out this little beast better than some tech with limited knowledge. Go ahead and tell me how crazy I am, I can take the bad with the good.
    I added it to mine. Mostly for the cost of replacement 'puter parts. THe roadside assistance is also a bonus, although I have CAA (AAA, Canadian Style). Cost is more here, but I STILL think it is worth the $$. Having your dealer waive the $75 /year fee is a bonus. Take it!

Spyder Garage

I did not get the extended warranty. My warranty expired last January.

First, I hate extended warranties because they are almost always a rip-off.

Second, I am a tightwad.

Third, I take chances (which doesn't necessarily fit with the tightwad charistic, but I'm just listing the realities with no logical explination, which may not exist anyway!)

Forth, I procrastinate (hence the "Always Late" label Lamont gave me).

So, as a result of these 4 (possibly less than ideal) chacter traits, coupled with the fact that I was strapped for money at the time, I did not get the extended warranty.

So what would I recommend? Well, contrary to my possibly being a 'Fan Boy', I think there is enough potential for some very expensive things to go wrong with the Spyder that I would recommend getting the extended warranty.

I have a nagging feeling (that I ignore most of the time) that those who have gotten the warranty may well prove smarter than yours truely.

In my case it's been a great decision since I have had no warranty issues since my warranty expired.

Still, I look at it this way. I didn't get the warranty extension so I hope nothing goes wrong and it pays off.

Those that get the warranty must be hoping that something expensive does go wrong so they can justify the expense. I'm just happier with the 1st prospect....until something breaks, that is.

You pays your money (and you takes your chances)!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-19-2010 at 12:13 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Extended Warranty

I for one purchased the BEST extended warranty. It is called "insurance" not an investment....I will be a really happy camper if I never have to use it...I would much rather be ryding...BUT just in case...I'm "prepared"!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I for one purchased the BEST extended warranty. It is called "insurance" not an investment....I will be a really happy camper if I never have to use it...I would much rather be ryding...BUT just in case...I'm "prepared"!!!!
    You're right, of course.

But it still boils down to you're betting it will break and the insurance company betting it doesn't. With both of you hoping the insurance company is right.

It's just the nature of insurance.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

For those of you who either bought a bike with an expired warranty or you chose not to get the BEST... Check out this option.
    I bought my bike AFTER the warranty has expired. My dealer offered this SERVICE CONTRACT that sounded pretty good to me and quite frankly was my only option.
    I have not had to use it yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if I ever have to, it will come through for me.
    Check it out here:
    http://www.protective.com/PDF/APD/atvmotorbrochure.pdf
    I would be curious to hear your opinions on this policy.!
    Thanks all

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default want to know more

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    For those of you who either bought a bike with an expired warranty or you chose not to get the BEST... Check out this option.
    I bought my bike AFTER the warranty has expired. My dealer offered this SERVICE CONTRACT that sounded pretty good to me and quite frankly was my only option.
    I have not had to use it yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if I ever have to, it will come through for me.
    Check it out here:
    http://www.protective.com/PDF/APD/atvmotorbrochure.pdf
    I would be curious to hear your opinions on this policy.!
    Thanks all
    If you don't mind me asking, how much was this policy, length of term that you got.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    The cost of the BEST coverage is about $300/yr. Liability and collision insuarnce is a bigger expense. In both cases, I hope I don't need it, but if I do, I'll be gald to have it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rider2554 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how much was this policy, length of term that you got.
    I paid $880 for a 3 year term. I had about 1750 miles on the bike when I purchased it. It does have a $25 per incident deductible.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    I paid $880 for a 3 year term. I had about 1750 miles on the bike when I purchased it. It does have a $25 per incident deductible.
    Depend what is in the fine print (what is and not covered)...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Depend what is in the fine print (what is and not covered)...
    Roger that.. I hope that I don't have to find out. Time will tell.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I did not get the extended warranty. My warranty expired last January.
    <SNIP>

I have a nagging feeling (that I ignore most of the time) that those who have gotten the warranty may well prove smarter than yours truely.
    <SNIP>
    I am by far not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I bought the extended warranty. I thought the maintenance (oil changes, etc.) would be worth it. I no longer wrench as I can no longer kneel. It's a pretty good deal for old timers like me.