Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation seat heat up problem

Does anyone have a problem with heat blaring out from the top edge of the seat, where the limited edition & # is stitched??? If so can it be fixed? and how???

Spyder Garage

I can't say that I have. With that said though, I have what I felt was hot air coming from up underneath the seat toward the forward area. Perhaps this is the same thing that you're referring to?

I wear shorts most of the time that I'm riding my spyder so I can tell ya right now that it does get hot on mine.

Hope I answered your question.

Chris PE # 0004

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

I have this same problem on a long ride in hot weather. I fell confident that most of it comes from the uninsulated front cylinder exhaust pipe which runs from the front of the engine, up and along the left side, just under the gas tanks left edge. This winter, I plan to wrap both of my exhaust pipes back to the "Y". I think this will help a lot.

Spyder Garage

Default HEAT~~~

Living in S.W. Florida, I too ride in shorts nearly all the time. I get excessive heat on my right lower leg and ankle, ajacent to the cooling fan vent. Nothing excessive from under the seat. We're are leaving on a two month Spyder trip early Aug. and I'm thinking that long pants will be in order, to stay cooler rather than warmer. ... Len

Quote Originally Posted by blackwidow1 View Post
    Does anyone have a problem with heat blaring out from the top edge of the seat, where the limited edition & # is stitched??? If so can it be fixed? and how???
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

Yes, it's true. Not sure if the glovebox insulation they are using now helps remedy the situation. Gets pretty warm on a hot day, though. Not sure whether I prefer to cook my leg or my thigh (well, you know the correct portion of the anatomy).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I get the same thing. It comes out the right side on mine.
    Lets Ride!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Yes, it's true. Not sure if the glovebox insulation they are using now helps remedy the situation. Gets pretty warm on a hot day, though. Not sure whether I prefer to cook my leg or my thigh (well, you know the correct portion of the anatomy).
    What part is that?

Spyder Garage

Did a ride the other day here in AZ when it was 110 degrees out and my right foot felt like it was on fire! I read about the heat problem here on the forum then finally experienced it. Even with my riding boots on my foot was cooking and I was dying to pull over and cool my foot down. As I was getting closer to home I noticed the crotch area of my pants cooking. Not to sound like a wuss, but it was actually getting painful!
    I never experienced the dual heat problem before. Maybe it was intensified by the 110 degree weather? Now I'll ride either early in the AM or late at night during the summer and wait in anticipation for fall and winter here in the desert!

Spyder Garage

I take a small towel , like a hand towel , about 14 inches long , fold it in thirds or quarters, and as I close the seat I let it form a seal between the very front of the seat and the glovebox / cowling, pinching the towel in between the space being careful to make sure it fully seals all the way to the outside of the seat, especially on the right. This basically forms a seal , blocking the hot air that is eminating beneath the seat from blowing up through that gap at the very front of the seat , thus cooking your inner thighs and umm privates. A more permament solution would be a self adhesive piece of weather stripping from an auto parts store stuck on the glove box - cowling so that when the seat closed it squished up against it and made a perfect seal and would look better. I was going to do this but the towel solution worked so well I havent got around to it. I will when the season is over and have more time.
    Feel free to try my solution
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Default left thigh heat here

On my RT the heat comes out on my left thigh up from under the seat.
    La1SheSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    I take a small towel , like a hand towel , about 14 inches long , fold it in thirds or quarters, and as I close the seat I let it form a seal between the very front of the seat and the glovebox / cowling, pinching the towel in between the space being careful to make sure it fully seals all the way to the outside of the seat, especially on the right. This basically forms a seal , blocking the hot air that is eminating beneath the seat from blowing up through that gap at the very front of the seat , thus cooking your inner thighs and umm privates. A more permament solution would be a self adhesive piece of weather stripping from an auto parts store stuck on the glove box - cowling so that when the seat closed it squished up against it and made a perfect seal and would look better. I was going to do this but the towel solution worked so well I havent got around to it. I will when the season is over and have more time.
    Feel free to try my solution
    Awesome! Will definitely try that!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Previous owned RS model burned my left leg so bad I wrapped the pipes from the cylinder till they went downward and away from me. When I had problems with the pipes running white and running hot out west a dealer said it was because I wrapped the pipes, next dealer said it was the extra alcohol amounts the gas companies add to fuels out there. After looking over the bike and checking to see if the computer update was entered right he said run a tank of hightest through it and that solved the problem. The header wrap worked great for keeping myself from being fried in 104 degree heat in Kansas and was still on the bike when I traded it in for the new RT-S. Only heat that I feel now is on the right side from the fan ducting and if I keep my foot out of the air and close to the bodywork I am fine. I find that in warm weather I run the wind sheild all the way down and let more air hit me. I am toying with removing a couple of the deflectors for summer running as they are only screwed in place. I was going to very close church picnic last weekend and had shorts and something I never wear on the trike, sandals. Boy was that a mistake! Less than a mile away from home and I almost had fried footsy for the main course. Bill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the seat heat problem, I built a deflector from aluminum roof flashing. I manipulated it to fit pretty good and drilled holes and at top left side I cut a larger hole to allow heat to escape. As I had to adjust as I tested I just attached by ind Velcro so I could remove. I just rode 700miles and with my feet on the hwy pegs with both adjusters on laid just above the black trim the heat was deflected enough to a very Standable amount. The temps according to the gauge on bike was up to 111. I just don't know how to control the heat in tank box it will melt what ever u put in I mean I'm scared to put cell phone in it. I thought about seeing if it will come off so I can put heat shield around it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    Previous owned RS model burned my left leg so bad I wrapped the pipes from the cylinder till they went downward and away from me. When I had problems with the pipes running white and running hot out west a dealer said it was because I wrapped the pipes, next dealer said it was the extra alcohol amounts the gas companies add to fuels out there. After looking over the bike and checking to see if the computer update was entered right he said run a tank of hightest through it and that solved the problem. The header wrap worked great for keeping myself from being fried in 104 degree heat in Kansas and was still on the bike when I traded it in for the new RT-S. Only heat that I feel now is on the right side from the fan ducting and if I keep my foot out of the air and close to the bodywork I am fine. I find that in warm weather I run the wind sheild all the way down and let more air hit me. I am toying with removing a couple of the deflectors for summer running as they are only screwed in place. I was going to very close church picnic last weekend and had shorts and something I never wear on the trike, sandals. Boy was that a mistake! Less than a mile away from home and I almost had fried footsy for the main course. Bill
    Just a suggestion...next time throw the sandals in the trunk and wear your boots until you get to the picnic. Throw a pair of mesh overpants on over the shorts, and you should be OK there. They come off quickly at your destination.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

I contacted my dealer complaining to him about the heat I mentioned to him the many similar complaints with the heat coming out from the front edge of the seat. He is calling Can Am (BRP) on Monday to see if there is a fix that can be done...he gave me the number to also call maybe if we all get together and flood their lines with calls about this they will come up with a fix...The number is 715-848-4957. Lets team together call them and hope for a resolution to this problem.