Thread: Crotch Rocket

Spyder Garage

Default Crotch Rocket

OK....somebody out there has go to have found a "FIX" for the Crotch Rocket blast (heat coming from under the front edge of the RT seat).

Please share your ideas

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure who was first, but I mentioned in a VERY recent thread that I do experience heat coming up from the right side of the seat toward the forward area of the seat. Again, I wear shorts most of the time so I feel heat all over.

As far as a fix? I'm clueless.

Chris PE # 0004

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

WILL BE APPLYING HEAT WRAP TO BOTH EXHAUST PIPES THIS WINTER.

Spyder Garage

As I posted in the other seat heat thread- I take a small towel , like a hand towel , about 14 inches long , fold it in thirds or quarters, and as I close the seat I let it form a seal between the very front of the seat and the glovebox / cowling, pinching the towel in between the space being careful to make sure it fully seals all the way to the outside of the seat, especially on the right. This basically forms a seal , blocking the hot air that is eminating beneath the seat from blowing up through that gap at the very front of the seat , thus cooking your inner thighs and umm privates. A more permament solution would be a self adhesive piece of weather stripping from an auto parts store stuck on the glove box - cowling so that when the seat closed it squished up against it and made a perfect seal and would look better. I was going to do this but the towel solution worked so well I havent got around to it. I will when the season is over and have more time.
    Feel free to try my solution
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have not noticed a heat problem on my RT........ but then we seldom have a heat problem in the NW!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    As I posted in the other seat heat thread- I take a small towel , like a hand towel , about 14 inches long , fold it in thirds or quarters, and as I close the seat I let it form a seal between the very front of the seat and the glovebox / cowling, pinching the towel in between the space being careful to make sure it fully seals all the way to the outside of the seat, especially on the right. .

Tried this simple fix, and while it did stop the rocket blast shooting up from the riight front corner of the seat...both side knee pads are now a "HOT PLATE". Not sure if this is a good trade-off

I'm thinking if I can just get more air flow across this area the problem will be solved. Thought I saw a post where someone had installed a GoldWing vent in their RT windshield ...that sounds promising

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by John G View Post
    Tried this simple fix, and while it did stop the rocket blast shooting up from the riight front corner of the seat...both side knee pads are now a "HOT PLATE". Not sure if this is a good trade-off

I'm thinking if I can just get more air flow across this area the problem will be solved. Thought I saw a post where someone had installed a GoldWing vent in their RT windshield ...that sounds promising
    I experience the same problem when I put on my (homemade) seat rain cover. It closed the gap at the top, which then heated the seat side pads like a hotplate. Necessary evil in that case, but uncomfortable just the same.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I too have the heat problem and hope I still have that problem come winter. But right now it's not too nice. If you block it up with a towell or something , wouldn't that make the engine hotter?

Spyder Garage

My fix was a Corbin seat. Much tighter fit.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

I contacted my dealer complaining to him about the heat I mentioned to him the many similar complaints with the heat coming out from the front edge of the seat. He is calling Can Am on Monday to see if there is a fix that can be done...he gave me the number to also call maybe if we all get together and flood their lines with calls about this they will come up with a fix...The number is 715-848-4957. Lets team together call them and hope for a resolution to this problem.

Spyder Garage

Lamont,

Does the Corbin seat get hot around the knee pads?

Also, You entioned in another post awhile back something like "you left off the splash guard when you changed he oil"..does that help?
    Last edited by 2Gunns; 07-19-2010 at 10:04 AM.