Thread: Front Tires

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Tires

Don't ever get your tires changed at the Spyder dealer (unless they are more reasonable than most). My dealer wanted to charge me 118.oo plus tax. Local tire dealer mounted and balanced both front tires for a $20 dollar bill. That's a heap of savings!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, from my experience at the dealer I bought mine from in North Kansas City and from many accounts I've read on here, a disturbing number of dealers are more concerned with bringing in a dollar than doing quality work or providing a fair service to the customer. I understand that a business owner has to be concerned with their bottom line, but BRP's network of dealers needs some serious work in my opinion. If you want proof as to why I've come to this conclusion, just do a search about dealers. Luckily, I found one, Reno's, in south KC that is pretty good. However, I'm fortunate that I'm in a city with multiple dealers. Few are this lucky and have no option but go to a crooked dealer. Until a diagnostic tool is released to the public to negate the need to go to a dealer for the BUDs hookup, we are held hostage going to these turds. Hopefully from monitoring this forum and watching the thread that Lamonster started about rediculous wait times, BRP can influence their dealers to do a better job. I'm skeptical.

Spyder Garage

Dealers are like bulk fruit, there's always some bad ones in the basket, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some good ones as well.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Bulk fruit? Does that mean if one goes rotten and soon the rest will too?
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A stealership near me quoted me one price to swap my tires, and then when they found that I did not buy the tires from them they wanted a different price. And when I asked what difference it made, the lame excuse "if we damage your wheel or tire and you bought it from us, you are covered". Well I advised him that it didn't matter WHERE I bought the tires from, if they damage my stuff, they will replace it anyway and it doesn't matter if I bought it from a junkyard, they are still going to replace it. Wankers! Point is, they want their money at ANY cost, even if it means driving away customers. And now, I have a friend that has tools to break down wheels, and balance. No need to go to the stealerships any more

Spyder Garage

Cool

I was reading my Dealer's web page last night...they had an advertisement on there that if you buy the tire from them (inflated $ ?) they would mount-balance-and replace-all labor for just $20.00 I thought that was a great deal until I saw that Spyders were excluded.

I read on another post that some dealers are refusing to replace tires that are not OEM, that you purchase and bring in. Some said.....just find another dealer that will. That is fine if you have multiple Spyder Dealers in your area.

Question: Can a regular tire store mount and balance our tires with their equipment without damaging our wheels ? Front wheels (smaller, fir machines ?) ? Rear wheel ?

Any opinions ?
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryffvt View Post
    A stealership near me quoted me one price to swap my tires, and then when they found that I did not buy the tires from them they wanted a different price. And when I asked what difference it made, the lame excuse "if we damage your wheel or tire and you bought it from us, you are covered". Well I advised him that it didn't matter WHERE I bought the tires from, if they damage my stuff, they will replace it anyway and it doesn't matter if I bought it from a junkyard, they are still going to replace it. Wankers! Point is, they want their money at ANY cost, even if it means driving away customers. And now, I have a friend that has tools to break down wheels, and balance. No need to go to the stealerships any more
    I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't pretty much the norm, really. The local Honda dealer, when I had my Goldwing, charged 1 hr to change a tire you brought in whereas if you bought it from them they charged 1/2 hr. Anyway, the end cost was smilar whichever way you went. The money you save buying online is spent on labor for the change.

The harsh reality, from the business owner aspect, is they aren't so much driving away customers as it is driving away customers they don't make money off of. It is a balancing act for them and the wise business operator will figure out what works best for him. And face it, for him guys like you may not be worth dealing with. And of course, we as customers, have to make the same kind of decisions balancing between saving money vs. having a relationship with a dealer who will really come through for us when we really them to.

Go ask a local appliance dealer to come do warranty repair your washer. "Did you buy it from us?" "No. I bought it from Lowes." "Well go back to Lowes or Maytag then."

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Tire replacement issues are all across the board. I have one of the dealers that will only deal with OEM tires--purchased at their store.

I could for sure have the fronts done with aftermarket tires because its pretty much a no brainer to take the front tires off the .
    I have always had good mileage from the fronts, so, not an issue for me.

It the rear tire that causes the issues for me. $350 my last go around. Arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default A Cynical Perspective

​It's all in the name. ​Bombardier RECREATIONAL Products -- you have the dough, you are RECREATING, not busting your butt to put beans and weenies on the table, ergo the stealership can hose you for all they can get!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

find a "non selling bike" bike shop ... they make their money thru service work... its your best bet for quality work and best prices...

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    I was reading my Dealer's web page last night...they had an advertisement on there that if you buy the tire from them (inflated $ ?) they would mount-balance-and replace-all labor for just $20.00 I thought that was a great deal until I saw that Spyders were excluded.

I read on another post that some dealers are refusing to replace tires that are not OEM, that you purchase and bring in. Some said.....just find another dealer that will. That is fine if you have multiple Spyder Dealers in your area.

Question: Can a regular tire store mount and balance our tires with their equipment without damaging our wheels ? Front wheels (smaller, fir machines ?) ? Rear wheel ?

Any opinions ?
    My local Discount tire swapped out my wheels on my 2013 st...from the stock 10 spokes to the new rs-s mag wheels on the stock tires...and rebalanced for $30. No issues at all

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer has no problem mounting a non-oem tire; they charge an hour's worth of labor for it. In their case; that's $50.00
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any opinions ?
    I get my tire work done at a local custom trike builder's shop. He also does my state inspections, since the dealer where I bought can't do state inspections, and the dealer I use is in another state . . .
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SIMPLE ANSWER

Any opinions ?
    ALL the machines at ALL the tire shops are pretty much the same ( unless they are 30 + yrs old ). And they ALL can remove and mount any tire that will fit on the Spyder RIM....PERIOD.....The fronts can be spin balanced....The REAR , I haven't found any that can, they don't have a cone big enough for the rear RIM HOLE.......However a lot of MTC shops have balancers that will work ...ask around.......PS I didn't balance my last TWO REAR tires and so far NO PROBLEMS..................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Degaman View Post
    ...a $20 dollar bill...
    Yeah, but WHERE do I find a "dollar bill" that's worth "$20"?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any 13 year-old kid with a laser printer ought to be able to help!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black