Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here is Carlo's e-mail

spydertechsupport@brp.com

If you don't work on your bike have they done all your service for you if so they bent it and it may have been bent but they crushed it and fried the cluster they need to bite the bullet and fix your bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MoonChaser213 View Post
    First , Ride Now said the pin was bent. Then they said it was "squashed". And that I needed a new cluster. I did order a new one (not from them) but it just occured to me that a dealer would have to install it for me so it can be programed . Right? I will contact Carlos as soon as I can find out how. There have been many problems with many customers with this dealer. But I personally cannot argue with the 20 yr olds there about mechanics cause its obvious pretty quick that I don't know anything. But I'm learning fast!!!! One thing I do know is bad customer service when I see it. I took my friend in to look at Spyders and we were the only customers in the store for 30 min. I counted 7 employees doing nothing , but noone said one word to us. BOOOO HISSSS
    No special programming needed for a new cluster. There isn't any data to transfer and your Spyder will register 0 miles. Just plug the new one in and you should be all set (as far as the cluster goes).
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought it used 3months ago. I contacted the previos owner and he said the cluster has never been touched. I agree, they should fix it. thanks for the email. We'll see what happens.

Spyder Garage

They should definitely fix it for you, on their dime, and Carlo is the one who may be able to make that happen. Good luck, and let us know how things turn out.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

I have placed posts a number of times in the recent past about "do not" go to Ocala or Gainesville for service on anything with a motorcycle engine or any machine with a tire mounted on it. The reason I did these posts was from experience with new machines that were under warranty. I found out quickly they were suffering from a severe case of "greed" and "incompetence". Would you believe $167 and change to remove a failed LED on the rear? And they let me leave without a brakelight/taillight/runninglight bulb in the socket. Yep... one of those two did exactly that. I reported it to Honda and told the manager/owner in writing they were so crooked "they would have be put in the ground with a cork screw when they die." I was real tactful when I reported it to Honda and never heard a word from them. Only been a year though so they might respond next year.

As of this date the only place I would even consider recommending in the north Florida area is "Interstate Honda" & Spyder in Lake City, Florida. Now that is not to say they can't screw up too but as of this date I have had good success there. Ken krb1945
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

First, I would talk directly to the owner of the dealership, face to face. Forget the tech, service manager, or any of the other flunkies. Make an appointment, if you have to. If you get no satisfaction from him, have a lawyer write them a letter. If mechanical work in Florida is regulated, like it is here in Michigan, also write a complaint to the regulating agency, with a copy to the owner of the dealership. The only way that bad dealers get the message is via hard medicine!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I bought it used 3months ago. I contacted the previos owner and he said the cluster has never been touched. I agree, they should fix it. thanks for the email. We'll see what happens.
    It's not my Spyder or my problem. But it still hurts me to think anyone would let these crooks off the hook. That's why they continue to do this kind of highway robbery!

I have been to small claims court a few times and if you simply get your ducks in a row you'll end up with satisfaction and even more important, justice. There are some steps you should take before going to this degree (as mentioned by others) but you can get this made right if you're willing to put out a bit of effort.

It's not about punishing anyone or even revenge. It's all about what's right and what is wrong. And what they are doing to you is wrong.

I don't know what it is about Florida dealerships but both Lamont and I got messed with in that state. There has to be some good dealerships there though.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Believe me, I'm NOT going away quietly. I am working my way up the ladder with this dealership so noone can say that I didn't talk to them.Their condensending attitude is only adding fuel to the fire . I will see this through. Right now , nothing new to report , they want me to bring it back in and pay for another diagnostics. Just don't see much point in that.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Update....

They told me to bring it in and they would fix the problem at no charge to me. ........Ron .....you scared them!!!!! I wanna ryde , ryde, ryde , the wind wooshing by . No problems , no worries, just me ,the road and the sky,(mercy, that's bad)

Spyder Garage

hope it gets better from here on out!
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

They told me to bring it in and they would fix the problem at no charge to me. ........Ron .....you scared them!!!!! I wanna ryde , ryde, ryde , the wind wooshing by . No problems , no worries, just me ,the road and the sky,(mercy, that's bad)
    So the question is... are you going to bring it back to them to "fix" it???? Isn't that what started this whole mess?

Obviously they are not trustworthy and leaving my baby with them would certainly be hard for me to do. Lord knows what else they may F up!!!

I liken it to sending back your steak at a restaurant and having the cook do something nasty to it because he is pissed you sent it back!!!

I wish you the best of luck and my fingers are crossed for you!!!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear they are going to step up to the responsibility plate and take care of it like they should have in the first place.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Sledhead

I said exactly the same thing, and I would NEVER send my food back . This is a simple matter of money, principle, and money. They broke the cluster and they should fix the cluster at no cost to me. ....Then I will take it somewhere else for anything else it may need in the future. You need to have trust in your dealer. Spyderryders will drive long distances to find a dealer they can trust so ....DEALERs BEWHEaR

Spyder Garage

Great News! It wasn't me, it was you doing what needed to be done, step-by-step. They got the message that you weren't going away and if you kept going they were in for a ride with only one destination.

In poker you bluff until the stakes get too high. A smart player will fold a losing hand before it gets too expensive.

You'll have to keep diligent, of course, but you're headed in a good direction. Well Done!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    So the question is... are you going to bring it back to them to "fix" it???? Isn't that what started this whole mess?

Obviously they are not trustworthy and leaving my baby with them would certainly be hard for me to do. Lord knows what else they may F up!!!

I liken it to sending back your steak at a restaurant and having the cook do something nasty to it because he is pissed you sent it back!!!

I wish you the best of luck and my fingers are crossed for you!!!
    A sticky question, to be sure. But if you've played your hand and the dealer says they are willing to fix it, I think it's only fair to give them a shot (with proper documentation and supervision, of course).

Otherwise, why even talk to them at all? Chances are good that things will be done right this time. After all, all we're talking about here is pull out defective cluster, put in new cluster.

Granted, they could ruin a 2nd one but my guess is someone will be breathing down the mechanics neck since it's the dealer's dime getting spent this time.

And if it isn't done correctly it will be obvious right away. Not like it will work for a week and quit. I'd say go for it and GOOD LUCK!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default It's there now...

we'll see. I'm gonna check it for spit, when I get it back. LOL

Spyder Garage

If they didn't break the pin off or didn't short it out it I might be able to salvage it for you. It will take a little time and patience and you would need to leave it overnight so I can work on it in the cool of the morning. I have salvaged bent pins on computer boards in the past... sometimes successfully but many were a write off. But it is worth a try before buying another cluster. I'll give it a go as long as you understand that it's about a 70 percent chance it will be a write off. The pins are very delicate.

I'm hoping Carlo will help with a new unit and if he does and wants a dealer to install it... although it is a pain the the back side try Lake City.

With the low miles on this unit it may have been damaged when it was installed at the factory. Ken krb1945
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the offer Ken. Let's ssee what they do. Ride Now has the bike right now. I can't see the pin being damaged at the factory as I didn't have the cluster problem until I picked the bike up from Ride Now last week. And if you could have seen the face of the tech when I came back and pointed out the problem. 88Trish was with me and we both said he looked scared. Something happened there. They need to make it right.

Spyder Garage

Yep... you are absolutely right... they had a foobar there and are not willing to accept the responsibility. Keep us posted. Ken krb1945
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Time to find a new dealer.

While I could see a bent pin or bad cluster causing some anomalies (gas gauge problem, etc.)... the Spyder will start just fine without the cluster hooked up at all.

I've had my cluster out literally at least 50 times and can't see bending a pin.

Sorry to hear about your problems. More times than not I think these problems are due to lazy and/or incompetent service departments.

Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    No special programming needed for a new cluster. There isn't any data to transfer and your Spyder will register 0 miles. Just plug the new one in and you should be all set (as far as the cluster goes).
    I removed and unplugged the cluster on my SE5 to get access to connect the "Spyder Tips" (Custom Dynamics) cables to the mirrors' lights.
    See main connector plug for cluster at right side of picture.

When I plugged it back the cluster data was kept the same, including miles (Kms.).
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the offer Ken. Let's ssee what they do. Ride Now has the bike right now. I can't see the pin being damaged at the factory as I didn't have the cluster problem until I picked the bike up from Ride Now last week. And if you could have seen the face of the tech when I came back and pointed out the problem. 88Trish was with me and we both said he looked scared. Something happened there. They need to make it right.
    Maybe (Just Maybe) the mechanic was stretching the truth to his superiors and they stuck with him at first. But with the pressure, reason and sticking to your guns they started to look at it and realized it was their fault.

Who knows, the mechanic may have actually come clean at some point. But for whatever reason, their tune has definitely changed for the better.

That is really the best case senerio I can come up with. But if this is the case you should get satisfaction. If they do make it right I'd overlook the initiial bad response and give them cudos for the end result.

I know, they deserve a licking for what they ATTEMPTED to do to you but sometimes it's better to go the future friend route. You just never know. You may never have to take it back there but why burn a bridge if it isn't necessary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    I removed and unplugged the cluster on my SE5 to get access to connect the "Spyder Tips" (Custom Dynamics) cables to the mirrors' lights.
    See main connector plug for cluster at right side of picture.

When I plugged it back the cluster data was kept the same, including miles (Kms.).
    The data is stored on the cluster so if you remove and reinstall your cluster, the data is still there (minus the time). If you remove your cluster and install a different one, like Moonchaser was saying, your actual data will be gone and whatever is on the replacement cluster (most likely zeros in hours, miles) will be there.
    Last edited by bjt; 07-15-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    The data is stored on the cluster so if you remove and reinstall your cluster, the data is still there (minus the time). If you remove your cluster and install a different one, like Moonchaser was saying, your actual data will be gone and whatever is on the replacement cluster (most likely zeros in hours, miles) will be there.
    Thanks for the clarification BJT.

Being totally ignorant in electronics, I dare to ask (to enlighten my knowledge...): How does it keep the data without a power supply when unplugged...?

Saludos, Pilo
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

One step forward, two steps back. I'm back to fighting with them. Waiting to make contact with BRP.......and moving up the ladder at Ride NOw. The manager that said he would get me running, now wants me to pay a Discounteed price for a cluster. They can't seem to let me go without getting some money from me. I'm still standing my ground and my spyder is sitting at RideNow in limbo. I'll start calling BRP again at 8;25