Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default What the hell did they do to my Spyder

at Ride Now? I took it in for updates and recalls. It also would not start consistantly. But I did drive it in. They did the updates and recalls and told me it would now start and I had a bad relay and a bent pin on my cluster . Bent pin on my cluster???? How did that happen. Who bent the pin??? What are they talking about? I pick it up today very excited to get back in the wind. When I left the gas gage was not regeresting and the gas light was on. So I stopped to get gas. Filled it up. Still not regeresting. Went back to RIde Now. The Spyder"tech" said it was like that when I came in. NOT...."are you sure you put gas in there" looking with flashlight into the gas tank . Now they want me to pay to come back and check it out. I left po ed and on the way home the cluster is lit up , flashing everything, then everything goes dead on the cluster. They messed it up BAD. and I'm supposed to pay? Is there a cluster recall? There is only 3,000 miles on my 2008 . It shouldn't be falling apart. I don't like being a guine pig for a bunch of untrained techs at a lachadasical dealer. ....Sorry about the spelling . ...it's late and I'm tired and had a couple of beers. Is it too much to ask to have a running Spyder that I can trust? No warrenty.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your plight. Makes me fear if I made a wrong decision in getting a Spyder instead of another M109R. Maybe it is just the shop that you go to or the technical expertise of their mechanics. Anyway, someone should answer your questions because I am avidly awaiting the response and decide if I should bail out before the missile hits ground zero.
    "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MoonChaser213 View Post
    at Ride Now? I took it in for updates and recalls. It also would not start consistantly. But I did drive it in. They did the updates and recalls and told me it would now start and I had a bad relay and a bent pin on my cluster . Bent pin on my cluster???? How did that happen. Who bent the pin??? What are they talking about? I pick it up today very excited to get back in the wind. When I left the gas gage was not regeresting and the gas light was on. So I stopped to get gas. Filled it up. Still not regeresting. Went back to RIde Now. The Spyder"tech" said it was like that when I came in. NOT...."are you sure you put gas in there" looking with flashlight into the gas tank . Now they want me to pay to come back and check it out. I left po ed and on the way home the cluster is lit up , flashing everything, then everything goes dead on the cluster. They messed it up BAD. and I'm supposed to pay? Is there a cluster recall? There is only 3,000 miles on my 2008 . It shouldn't be falling apart. I don't like being a guine pig for a bunch of untrained techs at a lachadasical dealer. ....Sorry about the spelling . ...it's late and I'm tired and had a couple of beers. Is it too much to ask to have a running Spyder that I can trust? No warrenty.

Send Carlo an email. Maybe he can help you
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kismaokole View Post
    Sorry to hear about your plight. Makes me fear if I made a wrong decision in getting a Spyder instead of another M109R. Maybe it is just the shop that you go to or the technical expertise of their mechanics. Anyway, someone should answer your questions because I am avidly awaiting the response and decide if I should bail out before the missile hits ground zero.
    Don't be scared. There is no missile. Sure there have been problems, but, if you read this forum, you will see there is far more good than bad. Have you been having problems with your that would cause you to have concerns? I have 12k miles on mine without a hiccup. This sounds like a dealer problem, not a problem. Keep the faith!
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

This is definitely a bad dealer issue, and not something that is wrong with all Spyders. The fact they would tell you the fuel gauge was like that when you brought it in is a very bad sign as well. I would definitely get in contact with Carlo and ask for his assistance with this dealership. There is no way you should have to pay for any type of repair that was caused by the negligence of the dealer. If they have untrained techs working on your Spyder, then there may also be a possibility of BRP pulling the Spyder from their dealership. I know of at least 1 dealer this has happened to so far.

Best of luck with the situation, and please keep us posted on the progress.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Does this mean no Leesburg at Dennys Tomorrow??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish you luck, don't give up.

Spyder Garage

Been there, done that, found a new dealer and now everything is fine. Advise that you do the same!
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default No Denny's tomorrow for me and 88Trish

Sorry guys, I was really looking forward to meeting some fellow Spyder Ryders too.Recon and JohnnyG can you hear me? Ride NOw has not heard the last from me and I will get my beloved Spyder running again no matter what it takes. I need a asprin

Spyder Garage

Time to find a new dealer.

While I could see a bent pin or bad cluster causing some anomalies (gas gauge problem, etc.)... the Spyder will start just fine without the cluster hooked up at all.

I've had my cluster out literally at least 50 times and can't see bending a pin.

Sorry to hear about your problems. More times than not I think these problems are due to lazy and/or incompetent service departments.

Good luck!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

They said the pin was very soft and that someone had been in there befor them and bent it. Noone has been in there, but of course I can't prove who bent it, it's their word against mine. Maybe it helps if my words are LOUDERRRRRR I don't know. I foresee a new cluster in my future.....Can I go ahead and ride it and ignore the cluster? It flashes everything is wrong and goes dead and then flashes some more. Maybe nothings really wrong with the running parts , just the display??????

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They said the pin was very soft and that someone had been in there befor them and bent it. Noone has been in there, but of course I can't prove who bent it, it's their word against mine. Maybe it helps if my words are LOUDERRRRRR I don't know. I foresee a new cluster in my future.....Can I go ahead and ride it and ignore the cluster? It flashes everything is wrong and goes dead and then flashes some more. Maybe nothings really wrong with the running parts , just the display??????
    My wife's 08 did the same thing when the cluster fried and it didn't have any effect on the Spyders operation and it is expensive to replace! Hers was done under warranty.
    2020 RTL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Is fried cluster such a common thing it needs to have a recall? Yes , it is expensive, close to 500. I am NOT under warenty

Spyder Garage

That dealere is a dope. Time to find a new dealer.

Only 3000 miles and it went? Ouch.

Spyder Garage

Is fried cluster such a common thing it needs to have a recall? Yes , it is expensive, close to 500. I am NOT under warenty

It's not that common of a problem.

Good chance the rest of your bike is just fine. A good dealer could figure this out for sure. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to throw another cluster in and test the dang thing! They should have done that.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Just a thought - do you have someone you could try switching clusters with?
    Im in Kissimme - near Forrest - I can swap it out in about 5 minutes if you want to go that route - may be worth a shot to try and pinpoint if it is the cluster. But I will need MY good cluster back

Spyder Garage

I guess my question is where or who are you dealing with? I see you're in Salt Springs. I guess the closest dealer to you would be in Ocala? Have you tried the dealership in either Deland or Sanford?

I have heard that Deland has an excellent dealership. I myself use Seminole Power Sports in Sanford. I've had nothing but good dealings with them. Admittedly they are "pricey", but again, I've had very good results.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

at Ride Now? I took it in for updates and recalls. It also would not start consistantly. But I did drive it in. They did the updates and recalls and told me it would now start and I had a bad relay and a bent pin on my cluster . Bent pin on my cluster???? How did that happen. Who bent the pin??? What are they talking about?.
    If the cluster is not replaced carefully you can bend a pin (or several pins). The result will vary depending on which and how many pins are bent. They can be straightened if not broken.

A bad relay can cause starter problems, so I'm ok with that story. But as far as I know a bent pin on the cluster will not give you a starting problem. Bent pins can, however, give you exactly the problems you're having with the fuel gauge and general cluster malfunction.

Here is where the dealer's story begins to come unglued. You had no cluster/gauge issues before you took it in for service. You can't bend a cluster pin without having issues right away. That pretty much nails down that the issues were dealer caused and not pre-existing as they are trying to tell you.

If you had cluster problems why wouldn't you say so when taking it in for service? That would be a warranty issue. Their story is breaking down here.

They are trying to transfer the manure pile from them to you. It's time to start shoveling back the other way.

I pick it up today very excited to get back in the wind. When I left the gas gage was not regeresting and the gas light was on. So I stopped to get gas. Filled it up. Still not regeresting. Went back to RIde Now. The Spyder"tech" said it was like that when I came in. NOT...
    I smell BOGUS-BOGUS-BOGUS! I would ask to see the mechanics inspection sheet. Each time a vehicle goes into a shop (a well run shop) the mechanic fills out a check sheet detailing what they find wrong.

Think about it. The insturment cluster, a VERY CRITICAL COMPONENT, is malfunctioning. The mechanic and dealership discover this vital component is all hosed up, and they don't say a word about it to you at any point? That should have been a phone call to you right away to get permission to make repairs. So, why didn't they say anything? Because they are not coming clean. They did the damange and they don't want to make it good on their dime. That is BOGUS!

"are you sure you put gas in there" looking with flashlight into the gas tank.
    Give me a break! Like where else would you put fuel? In the air box?

Now they want me to pay to come back and check it out.
    Of course they do. They made a very expensive mistake and if they can hang the cost on you it looks like they will.

I left po ed and on the way home the cluster is lit up , flashing everything, then everything goes dead on the cluster. They messed it up BAD. and I'm supposed to pay? Is there a cluster recall? There is only 3,000 miles on my 2008 . It shouldn't be falling apart. I don't like being a guine pig for a bunch of untrained techs at a lachadasical dealer. ....Sorry about the spelling . ...it's late and I'm tired and had a couple of beers. Is it too much to ask to have a running Spyder that I can trust? No warrenty.
    They got you to leave with your Spyder. That was their first objective. Now they've got you guessing, that was their 2nd objective. They figure your options are to pay them to fix it (they win) or you take it to another dealer (they win).

But your other choices are to make them fix it on their dime or to pay to have someone else fix it. Small claims court is a perfect place to start if they persist in their story.

There is no recall on the Spyder cluster because it has been virtually issue free (as far as I know). If the pin was bent on install from the factory it would be a warranty issue. But I doubt it would ever have left the factory in that condition because the problem is obvious and will show up right away.

This is a dealer issue, not a Spyder issue. A case of a bad dealer giving a good product an underserved negative reputation.

I hope you go to the mat on this one for all Spyder owners.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks, everyone for your help and support...

This is what I'm going to do.. Talked to Ride NOw in Ocala and they are sticking to their guns about it's all my fault and not theirs. I knew better than to go there , as I'v had problems in the past, but it's just around the corner from me but anyway .... I'm dealing with Siminole Power Sports in Sanford now , (thank you for the suggestion). I ordered the cluster at a excellent price and will accept the offer of help to install it from anyone in that general area. THank you all

Spyder Garage

I don't know if this helps but there is a cluster from an 08 for sale on E-BAY. Someone has taken an 08 Spyder completly apart and is selling it piece by piece.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

You might want to check with Anneleilani who is a member of this forum. She swears by the dealership in Deland, but she also has some "good ole boys" in Umatilla do work on her spyder. There's also a fella here in Sanford that has his own RS spyder and he has a motorcycle shop. I believe the name of his shop is "Scooters" and the telphone number is 407-330-2056.

Please note that I haven't ever had him do any work for me. However, you were asking if by chance there might be someone in the area who could install, and he came to my mind. I for one deal with Seminole Power Sports here in Sanford and have a great relation with them.

Hope this helps.

Chris PE # 0004

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. It's so good to have Cyber-Spyder Friends.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post
    Don't be scared. There is no missile. Sure there have been problems, but, if you read this forum, you will see there is far more good than bad. Have you been having problems with your that would cause you to have concerns? I have 12k miles on mine without a hiccup. This sounds like a dealer problem, not a problem. Keep the faith!
    Thanks. Not a major problem yet. I got it brand new from an ebay auction by rivervalleysports. The same day after the delivery truck left it won't start and it turned out to be discharged battery.You are right this forum helped me figure it out. Still Keeping the Faith. Ride safe friend and stay happy.
    "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When you pull your cluster check the the wiring make sure there are no bent or broke pins you could fry the new one. Did ride now take your cluster out if they did I would take the problem to Carlo at BRP I would still talk to himeven if they didn't it sounds like they broke something and they are tring to cover there self. He may save you some money.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

First , Ride Now said the pin was bent. Then they said it was "squashed". And that I needed a new cluster. I did order a new one (not from them) but it just occured to me that a dealer would have to install it for me so it can be programed . Right? I will contact Carlos as soon as I can find out how. There have been many problems with many customers with this dealer. But I personally cannot argue with the 20 yr olds there about mechanics cause its obvious pretty quick that I don't know anything. But I'm learning fast!!!! One thing I do know is bad customer service when I see it. I took my friend in to look at Spyders and we were the only customers in the store for 30 min. I counted 7 employees doing nothing , but noone said one word to us. BOOOO HISSSS