Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default new owners at F1

marcel sold the US operation and is headed back to europe.
    i called F1 to order a new slider without the side flabs for my speaker pods/air intake project and someone picked up the call on the first try!!!!!
    for those who tried calling F1 know that it simply does not happen and took me by surprise. after i explained how i want the windshield cut, i asked him if marcel sold his business here and answer was a YES and he is building a new facility in europe. i told the new guy little bit about how marcel has been running his business and he was saying he will definitely tried to better. basically new owners bought rights to all of marcel's design and will be manufacturing his future design also. there was a big drop in price, at least for evo 3 slider. it looks like i am going to have to sell my 2 month old slider for 100 bucks.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    marcel sold the US operation and is headed back to europe.
    i called F1 to order a new slider without the side flabs for my speaker pods/air intake project and someone picked up the call on the first try!!!!!
    for those who tried calling F1 know that it simply does not happen and took me by surprise. after i explained how i want the windshield cut, i asked him if marcel sold his business here and answer was a YES and he is building a new facility in europe. i told the new guy little bit about how marcel has been running his business and he was saying he will definitely tried to better. basically new owners bought rights to all of marcel's design and will be manufacturing his future design also. there was a big drop in price, at least for evo 3 slider. it looks like i am going to have to sell my 2 month old slider for 100 bucks.
    Well... I wish the 'new owners' all the best..... but I smell trouble. He took many $5000 payments for his 'RT conversion' kits before he ever built one--- and I've not heard of a single person getting one. No refunds allowed, new rules posted on his website saying you'll get your 'RT kit' when he was good and ready to deliver it (translation --- he was still figuring out how to make the darn things!).

Sounds like he's taking the money and leaving the country-- and leaving this new guy holding the bag.

If he handles this 'sale' of his company anything like he handles his customers--- the new guy is in for a huge disappointment.

Thanks for the update--- I hope not too many have given money to him on those 'RT kits' !

I think Y-Pilot was one.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

As a side note I did order the mantis fairing from him last August and did recieve it t the bggining of this past may. It was a little hard to put on but I did get it on. So far it has worked the way I have wanted it to. There are afew minor prolems with it but I'l wait untill winter to fix them.A few times I called and believe me it was a pain in A$$ o get ahold of him I was gtting jacked aound by him bease it was late getting shipped. So what I did was flood his email and I loaded his voicemail and made a general pain of myself May-be I wore him down. But I did recieve my product.So hopefully the folks that ordered will get theirs if they have't yet.Ad I wish the new owners good luck.
    Caution:When you argue with an idiot,You have to lower your standards and then you get beat by their experience

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I received my Mantis Faring also. It took 4 mounths to get it and it looks ok but I haven't installed it because we have traded the Spyder. I am going to sell it when we get back from vacation next week.
    2020 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have bought 3 things from him and not much of problem except for trying to get in touch with someone but when i did, issue was fixed right away. even thou i was kinda worried about last order because i heard things but i went ordered anyway because he got what i need.
    just like brp got what i need, SPYDER.
    shoo, i had so much more problem with brp than marcel but i stuck with spyder and most likely will buy another after ryding this one to the ground or a new model.

if someone else had better windshield(for me), i would not have sent money to marcel thinking i may never get the product but there was no alternative for me. same with spyder, if someone comes out with something better, who knows.

anywho, new owner sounds very enthusiastic about his new venture.
    i called F1 again to let them know that i am going to send them a cardboard template for my windshield and he picked up again the first time... just feels weird.
    Last edited by aka1004; 07-07-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

He has taken money and not shipped the rear bag setup---- I know of at least one that can't get their $$$ back. He took deposits on 'vaporware' that was photoshopped and made out of foam.

His 'Forum' has also shut down.

Con man - plain and simple.

He'll get his someday....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    He has taken money and not shipped the rear bag setup---- I know of at least one that can't get their $$$ back. He took deposits on 'vaporware' that was photoshopped and made out of foam.

His 'Forum' has also shut down.

Con man - plain and simple.

He'll get his someday....
    by the time i ordered the last windshield, he has switched to paypal and when his office number got disconnected after i placed the order and send fund thru paypal, man was i relieve that at least now i got paypal on my side.

yes, karma DOES come around and bite you in the aS$.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't believe this for a moment, that crook is just trying to get more money by saying there is new owners. He stole from me and I would not give them the time of day, I would not take anything from them not even for free.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    I don't believe this for a moment, that crook is just trying to get more money by saying there is new owners. He stole from me and I would not give them the time of day, I would not take anything from them not even for free.
    did you order their "RT" package?

Spyder Garage

by the time i ordered the last windshield, he has switched to paypal and when his office number got disconnected after i placed the order and send fund thru paypal, man was i relieve that at least now i got paypal on my side.

yes, karma DOES come around and bite you in the aS$.
    Actually filing claims with PayPal to get money back is harder than just dealing with Visa.

Visa has certain timeframes you have to file your disputes within--- like 60 or 90 days--- and I think Marcel is VERY aware of that.

Con man.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually filing claims with PayPal to get money back is harder than just dealing with Visa.

Visa has certain timeframes you have to file your disputes within--- like 60 or 90 days--- and I think Marcel is VERY aware of that.

Con man.
    just in case what burg says is true(i was bit concerned that there was 100 bucks drop in price and i did have a thought that this could be the last push for more money? even thou i personally did not get ripped off), they send me invoice thru paypal and i pay with my visa, i am wondering if both visa and paypal will help me.
    Last edited by aka1004; 07-07-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

just in case what burg says is true(i was bit concerned that there was 100 bucks drop in price and i did have a thought that this could be the last push for more money? even thou i personally did not get ripped off), they send me invoice thru paypal and i pay with my visa, i am wondering if both visa and paypal will help me.
    Just don't let it go too long if you need to dispute things.

A good company doesn't charge your card until they are ready to SHIP. Marcel is known for taking $$$ and not shipping for 6 months-- if at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i think i got caught in the moment...
    i do believe this new owner is legit.
    we discussed how i wanted my windshield cut(somewhere between honda nt700v's and brp's sport touring) and he bothered go thru all this for total of 35 minutes for about 200 bucks(cost of my custom cut slider windshield with shipping)? i don't know...

i was not looking forward to calling marcel 50 times again to place an order and when the new owner picked up the first time, i was surprised and happy and i do want to believe that this is legit but we shall see.

i
    Last edited by aka1004; 07-07-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Paypal is pretty good, very good if they still have the money in their control. If the money is gone Paypal protection fades quite a bit.

That is why you should always purchase just as you did. With Paypal and Visa (or other CC). This gives you 2 layers of protection.

Go with Paypal first and see what they can do for you. You actually promised to give them a shot first by using their service and it is a good idea to let them try. If Paypal can't help then go with your CC.

Most credit cards will go much longer than 60 days for a chargeback. Especailly for fraud (or non delivery). But check with your particular provider. Don't get caught letting it go too long.

If you do get something from the seller that isn't right things get a bit more sticky.

I've had a fair amount of experience with Paypal.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

that was the typical scenario of ordering off of paypal.
    i still have to send them my dimensions. i will pay them after they give me an ok on my design.
    i apologize if i had cause any confusion.
    i gave that as example as i paid with paypal on my last order with F1 with my visa after F1 sent me an invoice.

i am going to order from them thou so i will let you know what happens.
    Last edited by aka1004; 07-08-2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: 1

Spyder Garage

I just ordered the Evo III Slider but did not know about troubles getting products made and shipped, much less a change in ownership. Now I am quiet nervous and hope that I didn't get ripped off. I did talk with the 'new' guy and he not only picked up his phone but called me back. But after reading all the bad press about F1 I'm a little scared I just threw $200 out the window....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    I just ordered the Evo III Slider but did not know about troubles getting products made and shipped, much less a change in ownership. Now I am quiet nervous and hope that I didn't get ripped off. I did talk with the 'new' guy and he not only picked up his phone but called me back. But after reading all the bad press about F1 I'm a little scared I just threw $200 out the window....
    We have gotten a total of 4 different windshields at different times from Marcel in the past and we never got anything less than good service from him (not great mind you, just good). I was more disappointed with him in hearing the run around he gave some of my friends when I knew from firsthand experience that he could do better. My point is that F1 windshields was never all bad (I won't be surprised if I'll get called to task for that comment) and I wouldn't be too terribly worried until your order is at least a day late in arriving. Especially with the change in ownership.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Give the new guy a chance I have a F1 windshield and to me it is a great product .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    For something that's only a couple hundred bucks--- I wouldn't sweat it too much--- but those that that spent thousands on the cheesy 'RT' kit --- totally different thing.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought the F1 shield in Sept. 2008 and the Queen in June 2009. Never had an issue with Marcel or his Port Charlotte office.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Default He was great to me.

I kind of hate to read this post. I am not very political but I know there are some old issues and grudges that surface from time to time here.

I spoke to Marcel on several occasions after and before I ordered my windshield from him. He was a charming man on the phone and told me about his racing career and how he developed his windshields. He talked me through my install and could not have been more helpful. He shipped promptly and there were no issues.

I know problems arise in managing any business and some people are better designers than managers. I am not vouching for him because I do not know what his business practices were in the past. I am just sharing my experience.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    I kind of hate to read this post. I am not very political but I know there are some old issues and grudges that surface from time to time here.

I spoke to Marcel on several occasions after and before I ordered my windshield from him. He was a charming man on the phone and told me about his racing career and how he developed his windshields. He talked me through my install and could not have been more helpful. He shipped promptly and there were no issues.

I know problems arise in managing any business and some people are better designers than managers. I am not vouching for him because I do not know what his business practices were in the past. I am just sharing my experience.
    I bought a shield from him, over the phone. Came in 3 days no problem's, It was a while ago though, some times things change.

Spyder Garage

I spoke with the new owner this morning. His name is Jim. He has only had full ownership of the company for a few weeks. He said he has been training under Marcel for a while and Marcel decided to go to Germany to design WS and Jim had been looking at buying his company for a while. Jim said he can't speak for Marcel and the customers that he upset but he did want to reassure me that he will put out a quality product in a timely manner. I emailed him last night about my concerns with people having bad experiences and he called me this morning and we talked for a good 20 minutes. I'm going to give Jim the benefit of the doubt. He said my WS should ship out Monday. He said the WS needs to set after the molding process before shipping. Jim also told me he wishes to restore whatever integrity has been damaged. I'll post when I get my WS and let you guys and gals know!

Spyder Garage

For something that's only a couple hundred bucks--- I wouldn't sweat it too much--- but those that that spent thousands on the cheesy 'RT' kit --- totally different thing.
    Hey, a couple hundred bucks is a lot of money for this working class stiff! I know it isn't thousands of dollars but a couple hundred bucks is a full days work for me!