Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Insurance prices

What are the typical insurance prices here in NJ? I've lived here all my life so I know it won't be cheap. just curious on what to expect to pay. I'm seriously considering a new RT in the spring and just don't want any surprises when the time comes.

thanks

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
    What are the typical insurance prices here in NJ? I've lived here all my life so I know it won't be cheap. just curious on what to expect to pay. I'm seriously considering a new RT in the spring and just don't want any surprises when the time comes.

thanks
    I use Foremost, full coverage= 384$

Spyder Garage

I believe that you are going to find there is no typical insurance price. The big factors are, your driving record to date, your age, where you specifically live, how many miles you drive daily/yearly, and how they rate the Spyder in particular. Discount factors that kick in depend on how many policies they sell you, such as multiple cars, bikes, house, etc. Some companies also discount your lack of claims. Taking all the above into account--you can still end up with varying rates from company to company. I prefer companies where I have a real insurance agent that knows me. The cheaper, internet companies usually are a bit harder to deal with, and get claims processed. Anytime I have a problem, my agent takes care of it. State Farm customer since 1965.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I understand that no 2 people have the same rates due to a myriad of possibilities. Perhaps I should have worded my question differently. I currently ride a gold wing with full coverage and it is rated as a non-sport bike, with rates accordingly.

So are the RT's rated here in jersey as a sport model or do the Insurance co's understand what they are and base their rates on a more sedate type of ride? Or are they clueless as to the nature of the RT compared to the RS? which is a sportier ride.

akspyderman: I agree with the thought of staying with a local agent but the insurance climate here in jersey is surreal. I was with different companies for 10 years (0 claims) each, and was scared to death to put a claim. If you do your rates double automatically. even with clean living and good credit my rates would still double every 5 years or so.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I understand that no 2 people have the same rates due to a myriad of possibilities. Perhaps I should have worded my question differently. I currently ride a gold wing with full coverage and it is rated as a non-sport bike, with rates accordingly.

So are the RT's rated here in jersey as a sport model or do the Insurance co's understand what they are and base their rates on a more sedate type of ride? Or are they clueless as to the nature of the RT compared to the RS? which is a sportier ride.
    Like i said before i use Foremost, And it is through a local agent.
    Foremost knows Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Talking

akspyderman: I agree with the thought of staying with a local agent but the insurance climate here in jersey is surreal. I was with different companies for 10 years (0 claims) each, and was scared to death to put a claim. If you do your rates double automatically. even with clean living and good credit my rates would still double every 5 years or so.
    No worries Harry.
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 07-09-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RS I have State Farm I pay $440 for full coverage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
    I have a 2010 RS I have State Farm I pay $440 for full coverage.

Thank you Stormtrooper for bringing simple sanity to the conversation.
    Harry Gilbert, you just need to call for some quotes. Too much blah, blah, blah in the replies. Every company has their own mind in what is important to their pricing, so there is no rule... you just have to contact several.
    Just decide before you call on what you want - do you want service if you have a claim (look at highly rated companies); do you want to talk with an agent to get advice on coverages (look at companies with agents); do you want a company that will be there in the long run (look at tenured companies that have the reserves to pay their claims).
    You can always seek out recommendations like on here - but filter them - a recommendation after a claim should carry more weight than a recommendation on price alone.

Please start with your current auto & home carrier - you will get a competitive price there and tenure with a company matters if you have a booboo.

Enjoy your insurance and RT shopping

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeyStan View Post
    Thank you Stormtrooper for bringing simple sanity to the conversation.
    Harry Gilbert, you just need to call for some quotes. Too much blah, blah, blah in the replies. Every company has their own mind in what is important to their pricing, so there is no rule... you just have to contact several.
    Just decide before you call on what you want - do you want service if you have a claim (look at highly rated companies); do you want to talk with an agent to get advice on coverages (look at companies with agents); do you want a company that will be there in the long run (look at tenured companies that have the reserves to pay their claims).
    You can always seek out recommendations like on here - but filter them - a recommendation after a claim should carry more weight than a recommendation on price alone.

Please start with your current auto & home carrier - you will get a competitive price there and tenure with a company matters if you have a booboo.

Enjoy your insurance and RT shopping
    Your idea of simplicity may not cover someone in a loss. That is a fact. Insurance is not a joke when it comes time for claims.

Other than that... good stuff...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

thanks for all the replies. I use foremost for my Goldwing and was hoping to see what I did- no surprises

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Like i said before i use Foremost, And it is through a local agent.
    Foremost knows Spyders.
    I pay $ 340.03 for full coverage (Hughes recreational products. 185 Kingsland st. Nutley, NJ 07110. phone (973)235-1210 ) for Spyder RT 2012

Spyder Garage

Wow i have foremost an pay $1200+ for the spyder and have 4 cars with them 2 full coverage. Clean record 0 points with a CDL age 44 An for some reson OKLAHOMA seems very high?? I have no idea y mine is so high i have called Progessive an its about the same??? Got a quote from a nuther an was 700 but its the bear minimum an that wont work. I even tell them i dont ride much an its locked in a garage. Any ideas????
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Spyder Garage

Default try riders ins.

thanks
    and you are right rates are very high ....when you consider most bikes dont go out from dec- march and when the do go out it's usually a fair weather ride not an everyday commute like a car yet they charge the same rate..... geico quoted me a price higher than i pay for my escalade esv !!!!!!with no points, accidents, or other drivers ...???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bh164 View Post
    and you are right rates are very high ....when you consider most bikes dont go out from dec- march and when the do go out it's usually a fair weather ride not an everyday commute like a car yet they charge the same rate..... geico quoted me a price higher than i pay for my escalade esv !!!!!!with no points, accidents, or other drivers ...???
    I have Foremost for $372.00 per year for 15K/30K coverage. Just called Geico and they offered $412.00 for 25K/50K. So, it is not too bad. Could be based on area in NJ.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust