Spyder Garage

Default Rear Suspension problems

Specifically the air spring, as it's called in the service manual. Is anyone having trouble keeping the air spring inflated? Neither of our RT's air springs will hold pressure for more than a few hours. My dealer/tech did the soap test with no visible leaks..any ideas?

While on the rear suspension subject, both our rear shocks are worthless. Kind of like a bounching spring/pogo stick happening. Any word on the BRP replacement or recall? Len
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Len,

Quite a few of us have had this problem. It took replacement of the fitting, air bag, and air manifold to fix mine. They have replaced my stock shock once, and after a conversation in Chicago with one of the head techs, they are sending my dealer a new shock (better) to replace the one I have now. Your dealer should be able to access the information needed. I'm pretty sure they have a "kit" to address these problems.

Dwight

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also have rear suspension leaks ,dealer said there is a kit available ,he ordered it ,I called him yesterday and he said it was backordered and won't be available til July 22nd.Mine completely deflates in about 30 minutes.So have been riding it anyway since I paid for it don't really see how it could damage it ,and dealer said go ahead an ride it.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear suspension Fixit kits

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I am on my way to the dealer today to get the kits ordered. Once we beta testers get through all this stuff BRP will have a h_ll of a product out here.. Len

Quote Originally Posted by jmkipp View Post
    I also have rear suspension leaks ,dealer said there is a kit available ,he ordered it ,I called him yesterday and he said it was backordered and won't be available til July 22nd.Mine completely deflates in about 30 minutes.So have been riding it anyway since I paid for it don't really see how it could damage it ,and dealer said go ahead an ride it.
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

welcome
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good to know.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Yep!! I think I remember reading about five different members here speaking on this subject...

Our dealer refuses to just replace the bag or the shock by themselves. They have had to many issues with other folks fixing one, only to find the other failing a short time later or causing the original to fail again.

I am not a dealer and I can only say what I was told by mine. There is a "Kit" of fittings and such that is the item on back-order?? They have the "Bag" and shock in hand.

I am well over 30 days in waiting for this "Kit"
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear suspension Fix

Talked with my dealer yesterday 7/15. Our rear suspension kits are on the way, so says BRP. Both the shock and the air spring.... If mine are enroute so should everyone elses... BRP is well aware of the problem and are replacing both suspension components. A word of caution... until you can get your airspring and shock replaced, keep a close check on the proximity of your muffler and the parking brake pulley. I found both of ours slightly rubbing....with the airspring flat, which is most of the time.... Len

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default rear shock

Had my rear shock and air bag replaced a couple of weeks ago. It started leaking three days after I brought it home. So far it has been leaking 15 lbs. pressure in 24 hours while in my garage but IT DOES NOT LEAK while I have been riding it, including two up riding. Anyone have an idea why it would leak while in the garage but not when riding? Anyway, the dealer is now ordering a new air line which wasn't replaced. I have the 5 speed model, no compressor. I contacted a company called Race Tech who I was told are one of the best with shocks, they can build me a shock for about $1300.00. I think I'll let BRP screw around with it for a while longer.
    YOUTH AND TALENT ARE NO MATCH FOR AGE AND TREACHERY!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The airbag would heat up while you are riding it and the pressure would increase from friction and use. It could be leaking slightly and because of this increase from use it could be undetectable. I suspect highly this is what is happening. The previous model spyer I had the rear shock was virtually useless and I set the rear springs all the way up to compensate for shock and to avoid bottoming out the shock. It was less than a week old when there were signs of fluid leakage around the shaft of the shock. The quality of the shocks really is lacking and has been for 3 model years now. Are you listening BuRP? Bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

this tread don't give me any type of warm fuzzy.... . The rear end of my RT wont hold air for squat. I'm going to have to drop it at the shop I guess and see if they can fix it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stormzeye View Post
    this tread don't give me any type of warm fuzzy.... . The rear end of my RT wont hold air for squat. I'm going to have to drop it at the shop I guess and see if they can fix it.
    BRP is aware, and there is a repair kit for those that are having htis problem. Your dealer should be able to take good care of you.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Interesting. My RTS rear suspension is fine except for reverse. It blows out air here and there when backing up. Put it in N or 1st and it is fine. The dealer I went to for service didn't see any leaks and has no idea. I'm going to take it back to my original dealer to see if they can fix this. It this normal or just my???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crtravelnmore View Post
    Interesting. My RTS rear suspension is fine except for reverse. It blows out air here and there when backing up. Put it in N or 1st and it is fine. The dealer I went to for service didn't see any leaks and has no idea. I'm going to take it back to my original dealer to see if they can fix this. It this normal or just my???
    The RTS suspension cannot be changed when the vehicle is in neutral. The parking brake also needs to be released. I could see how the "squatting" of the suspension when you are moving in reverse could make it react differently than when moving forward (the sensor is on the swingarm). I would think it would tend to build pressure to raise it in reverse, and release pressure going forward, however. Adjustment when you first start your journey, or change the loading, is normal. It does it going down the road, too, but you just can't hear it. If you can hear the comprssor running excessively, you probably have a leak which should be looked at.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The RTS suspension cannot be changed when the vehicle is in neutral. The parking brake also needs to be released. I could see how the "squatting" of the suspension when you are moving in reverse could make it react differently than when moving forward (the sensor is on the swingarm). I would think it would tend to build pressure to raise it in reverse, and release pressure going forward, however. Adjustment when you first start your journey, or change the loading, is normal. It does it going down the road, too, but you just can't hear it. If you can hear the comprssor running excessively, you probably have a leak which should be looked at.
    When you sayThe RTS suspension cannot be changed when the vehicle is in neutral), do you mean via the hi/lo switch. This happens everytime I put her in reverse and back in my garage. I put her in 1st or N before turning her off after parking her and the pulses of air stop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crtravelnmore View Post
    When you sayThe RTS suspension cannot be changed when the vehicle is in neutral), do you mean via the hi/lo switch. This happens everytime I put her in reverse and back in my garage. I put her in 1st or N before turning her off after parking her and the pulses of air stop.
    In neutral, or with the parking brake set, the pulses will stop. I'm fairly sure that not only the switch is disabled, but that the entire system goes idle. My suspicion is that what you are hearing is merely coincidence. My RTS make the same noise putting it into the garage, but in first gear. The reason twofold, in my case. There is a slight bump going over the threshold going into the garage, then, as I roll forward, I stand (shifting my weight) to see how close the nose is to the bikes ahead. Again, periodic hissing of the rear suspension on an RTS is normal, as long as it isn't excessive. Less frequent running of the compressor is normal, too. You will also hear the compressor run if you are in gear and change the suspension setting higher, and the hissing if you lower the setting.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    In neutral, or with the parking brake set, the pulses will stop. I'm fairly sure that not only the switch is disabled, but that the entire system goes idle. My suspicion is that what you are hearing is merely coincidence. My RTS make the same noise putting it into the garage, but in first gear. The reason twofold, in my case. There is a slight bump going over the threshold going into the garage, then, as I roll forward, I stand (shifting my weight) to see how close the nose is to the bikes ahead. Again, periodic hissing of the rear suspension on an RTS is normal, as long as it isn't excessive. Less frequent running of the compressor is normal, too. You will also hear the compressor run if you are in gear and change the suspension setting higher, and the hissing if you lower the setting.
    Ah, Thank you for the info.It's been hard finding out if this is normal. Now if I get the toe-in and DPS to be less sensitive along with the horibble vibration at 5-6k rpm addressed, I think I will have the perfect

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Kim and I had both springs replaced just before leaving on our trip up Nawth. We're attending my 50th highschool reunion in beautiful Greeneville TN...Yep, Lamonster and BajaRon country... The dealer installed the BRP fixit kit and put 60 psi air pressure in both. We are 1000 miles into a several 1000 mile trip and so far... no leaks.... Ride improvement.... 100%. Happy Spyder Ryders... YEP!!

Oh by the way, anyone find my AM/FM antenna and boot somewhere out on I-26 between Asheville NC and Kingsport TN????? Dang it. My replaement arrives on Tue. at local BRP dealer.... Len

Spyder Garage

Default shock/airbag...

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    Kim and I had both springs replaced just before leaving on our trip up Nawth. .... Len
    Len, how long did it take your dealer to do the shock/airbag install... per bike? My dealer is telling me that he needs several days, since mine is the first one he's doing.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Help! Losing air in my rear shock.

I love my brand new Spyder RT. Two weeks old tomorrow. Since picking up the bike I have noticed that it was losing air in the rear shock first slowly. Now it takes about 10 minutes before it has no air. Had it in the dealership Saturday and they couldn't find the problem. Now that I read up on the board here I see it is a problem and it also seems like BRP has a fix for it with a kit. The only thing that worries me is a question that maybe someone can answer for me. My dealership is about 14 miles away. Is it safe to drive it there or should I have it flat bedded to the dealership? If anyone has any answers I would appreciate the advice.
    Thank you
    ScottyB

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    I love my brand new Spyder RT. Two weeks old tomorrow. Since picking up the bike I have noticed that it was losing air in the rear shock first slowly. Now it takes about 10 minutes before it has no air. Had it in the dealership Saturday and they couldn't find the problem. Now that I read up on the board here I see it is a problem and it also seems like BRP has a fix for it with a kit. The only thing that worries me is a question that maybe someone can answer for me. My dealership is about 14 miles away. Is it safe to drive it there or should I have it flat bedded to the dealership? If anyone has any answers I would appreciate the advice.
    Thank you
    ScottyB
    You should be fine. Just try to avoid bumps, and take it easy on any that are unavoidable. Air up the system good, just before you start. Tell your dealer to see Service Bulletin 2010-9. This problem should not have been difficult for them to find.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!