Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    if it is a warranty issue why not let the dealer take care of it and keep riding. Why get rid of it unless the dealer can't help then contact carlos what's the problem.

Can't ride it if it's setting at the dealer waiting for parts on back order!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IndianBikerDan View Post
    new to Spyder Lovers, but just tuened 3000 on my RTS and have had 0 prblems. Wife and i just returned from a 700 mile trip to the Smokies AWESOME!
    and welcome
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, as someone who owns a Porsche Panamera, I have to point to the recent report that Porsche makes the most reliable car line out there.

Now Jag is a piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    I'm in the car business and am involved with pretty much every franchise under the sun (new car). It always amazed me how our Customers that owned Jaguars and Porsches kept buying new ones after owning them. When compared to lets say , our Honda Customers, The Jags and Porsches were nightmares. The were very very expensive and needed 4 to 5 times the warranty work (and huge maintenance bills) that the Hondas needed. We knew the Tow companies by first name basis , not to mention they cost 3-5 times more than the Honda. But alas the customers put up with those issues and continued to buy them.
    That is now me on the Spyder I think. While my current 2 RTS's have had zero problems, I assume there will be some that pop up. I am willing to put up with them for the most part because I love everything about the Spyder. Its not just another motorcycle , its not a plain jane run of the mill vehicle. It has a soul. That being said I wish there were zero problems in a ground breaking product like this, but it is what it is.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bodymanpainter View Post
    My wife and I traded both the RTS and the RS due to all the down time due to the many issues we were having. We love to ride and you just can't ride when they are in the shop weeks on end on a regular basis.
    Let mine go fore the same reasons no regrets

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BHawksworth View Post
    Well, as someone who owns a Porsche Panamera, I have to point to the recent report that Porsche makes the most reliable car line out there.

Now Jag is a piece of crap.
    Both cars are grossly overpriced (IMHO) but while the Panamera has best in class initial delivery quality, The 2010 Jag XJ Sedan and The 2010 Panamera have both received identical long term reliability forecast by JD Powers (Between average and above average but not among the best) so I'm not sure why Jag is Junk and your Porsche is great... ........ but anyways to stay on topic yes your are right, Porsche finally got on the ball quality wise after many years, so my point is the same , customers kept buying through the times that Porsche was putting out average quality super expensive cars with some quirky and sometimes nightmarish electrical and driveability demons and years later the customers that rode out the storm now have a decent product (boxter aside) to back up the outlandish prices ! How many years can you deliver a product that costs $ 130,000 that gets hammered quality wise by anything Toyota or Honda built (mass production mind you ) that costs under $ 25 grand. The prices are still worlds apart but the quality finally is there. I think both Jag and Porsche should be lucky they have any customers left but whenever there is a premier marque to buy , there will be a person that feels they need it.
    Last edited by widowmaker2011; 07-07-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Now have 6800 miles on my RT w/only one problem. A brake switch went bad causing limp mode. Was in the shop for 2 days for a fix and also installed new trunk light and Corbin seat and back rest. Went on 2800 mile trip in May thru rain, snow, fog, wind and sunshine. Great ride on a great machine!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Hey friends

Lets face it, we're all beta testers on this new machine. Mine was in the shop with a major clutch problem for 48 days and during that time my wife's RT sat, awaiting mine to come home so we could ride as a team, which was the original plan.

I love this machine, I figure with all the frustration, eventually we will help BRP work through all the issues and we will have an even more incredible machine. I'm sticking with mine, I should say..we are sticking with ours. We will get through this, it will be worth it.. It will be worth it.. it will be worth it... It will....well, you get my point.. See you in G'burg. Just wondering??? How many BRP dealer/shops between SW Florida and Gatlinburg??? I didn't say my confidence was restored, just my determination... Len

Quote Originally Posted by raptor01 View Post
    I was wondering how many people have sold their RTS due to warranty issues?
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

Default Bad mechanic

Sounds more like incompetent mechanics than warranty issues. Probably should have tried another before giving up on a good bike.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freewaycop View Post
    Sounds more like incompetent mechanics than warranty issues. Probably should have tried another before giving up on a good bike.
    The Drama that is Spyder....... Continues
    I have her back, that beautiful black 3 wheeled beast that I just can't resist. She's sitting in my garage right now, at 3am, winding down from a midnight ryde along the Scenic Ohio River, the open air, cool breezes, with nothing but Teddy at my back loving every moment just as much as I.

She's far from right, you know?
    Yeah, after 3 weeks awaiting the SE5 Recall Parts, my baby still aint ryght...... DAMNIT!!!
    Especially, shifting from 1st to second, sometimes she'll lag so bad, if I don't release her throttle, she'll SCREAM at me like a Banshee!!! And when she catches that next gear, if I haven't released that throttle, she'll buck with a mechanical CLANK & catch as if nothing ever happened. Meanwhile, Teddy's inadvertently thrown into my back (good thing he's less than 10lbs) and gives her an evil look for it. I know, I know, she's still sick buddy, lets deal with it & enjoy her while we can

OK, so we missed the Owners Event this year, cause she was sit'n in the shop. Now, my very reason for buying this RTS unit, is even in peril of being canceled. My vacation to Florida, (Camping with Teddy @ Ft. Desoto Beach) is in question now, as with the issue she's having, imagine that with pulling the trailer which I just bought from the dealer it was sitting at for 3 weeks. Its SOOOOO MUCH WORSE, cause I have to go in & change the computer to let it know I'm pulling the trailer & it causes the RPMs to not allow Up-Shift til at LEAST 4200-4500. I don't know if its part of her Shifting issue, (I'm sure it is) or what, but at those RPMs with the Trailer, She doesn't sound Healthy to me at all. Way under-powered & having to strain way to much in that certain gear to get to the next. Sooo Much Throttle, so much strain from the screaming engine. I can't believe this is ryght, this is the way A Spyder RTS with SE5 is suppose to sound, act, feel and respond.

Though, after sitting with, talking to and watching the repair Tech & Service Manager going through the SE5 Gear Initialization Bulletin on my unit, I understand they haven't worked on an RTS unit before & mine would be there first, but they still haven't gotten her right, not yet.

And I'm suppose to leave for FL on Sat. After calling my dealer in WVA, he suggested I call one in Columbus which I've done & Dave agreed to see me on Friday & that he'd see if there was anything he could do. Drive 130 miles for a dealer that knows what there doing and can actually fit you in to help you out. I'm putting out a lot of faith (as I make my 1st payment in a couple of days) that this journey has a long and Very Happy story-line.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Wishing you luck CyncySpyder. Don't give up hope!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post

The Drama that is Spyder....... Continues
    I have her back, that beautiful black 3 wheeled beast that I just can't resist. She's sitting in my garage right now, at 3am, winding down from a midnight ryde along the Scenic Ohio River, the open air, cool breezes, with nothing but Teddy at my back loving every moment just as much as I.

She's far from right, you know?
    Yeah, after 3 weeks awaiting the SE5 Recall Parts, my baby still aint ryght...... DAMNIT!!!
    Especially, shifting from 1st to second, sometimes she'll lag so bad, if I don't release her throttle, she'll SCREAM at me like a Banshee!!! And when she catches that next gear, if I haven't released that throttle, she'll buck with a mechanical CLANK & catch as if nothing ever happened. Meanwhile, Teddy's inadvertently thrown into my back (good thing he's less than 10lbs) and gives her an evil look for it. I know, I know, she's still sick buddy, lets deal with it & enjoy her while we can

OK, so we missed the Owners Event this year, cause she was sit'n in the shop. Now, my very reason for buying this RTS unit, is even in peril of being canceled. My vacation to Florida, (Camping with Teddy @ Ft. Desoto Beach) is in question now, as with the issue she's having, imagine that with pulling the trailer which I just bought from the dealer it was sitting at for 3 weeks. Its SOOOOO MUCH WORSE, cause I have to go in & change the computer to let it know I'm pulling the trailer & it causes the RPMs to not allow Up-Shift til at LEAST 4200-4500. I don't know if its part of her Shifting issue, (I'm sure it is) or what, but at those RPMs with the Trailer, She doesn't sound Healthy to me at all. Way under-powered & having to strain way to much in that certain gear to get to the next. Sooo Much Throttle, so much strain from the screaming engine. I can't believe this is ryght, this is the way A Spyder RTS with SE5 is suppose to sound, act, feel and respond.

Though, after sitting with, talking to and watching the repair Tech & Service Manager going through the SE5 Gear Initialization Bulletin on my unit, I understand they haven't worked on an RTS unit before & mine would be there first, but they still haven't gotten her right, not yet.

And I'm suppose to leave for FL on Sat. After calling my dealer in WVA, he suggested I call one in Columbus which I've done & Dave agreed to see me on Friday & that he'd see if there was anything he could do. Drive 130 miles for a dealer that knows what there doing and can actually fit you in to help you out. I'm putting out a lot of faith (as I make my 1st payment in a couple of days) that this journey has a long and Very Happy story-line.
    Sorry to hear of your continuing difficulties. I hope you can get them rectified soon. Contact the BRP Spyder Customer Support, if you need help getting your dealer up to speed on the problem. They can help him. The varying throttle and hard shifts to second do not sound normal, and have been reported by at least one other owner. The GPS, shift solenoid, or TCM may be faulty. Keep after the dealer and BRP to get it fixed.

The shift point in trailer mode is something you will have to get used to. In fact, shifting at higher rpm may relieve a lot of your problems. The Spyder RT is a high rpm machine. Forget that it sounds to you like it is coming apart...this thing needs to run in the upper half of the rpm scale. It is not really that happy below 5,000 rpm. Yes, it will operate at 3,500-4,000, but it will not be that happy. It will be miserable below that. Try some more revs, and see if it gets happier. You won't hurt it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

NancysToy
    The Spyder RT is a high rpm machine. Forget that it sounds to you like it is coming apart...this thing needs to run in the upper half of the rpm scale. It is not really that happy below 5,000 rpm. Yes, it will operate at 3,500-4,000, but it will not be that happy.

and have been told the same thing when having my Spyder serviced.

2013 Spyder RTS SE5

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler~ View Post
    NancysToy
    The Spyder RT is a high rpm machine. Forget that it sounds to you like it is coming apart...this thing needs to run in the upper half of the rpm scale. It is not really that happy below 5,000 rpm. Yes, it will operate at 3,500-4,000, but it will not be that happy.

and have been told the same thing when having my Spyder serviced.

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

From my count, it appears that 6 or 7 units have been dumped because of warranty issues. I don't think that out of 4000 members that is a very high percentage.
    My RTS-SE has been realigned and the clutch fix has been done, so I,m very happy with my machine.
    Now to get motivated enough to get the Ride-On and HMT installed!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, I think that less than 4000 have the RT. I dumped both mine, after having repeated problems with them. There are clearly many more that have had repeated problems who have not dumped the RT, so they are clearly more hopeful, more patient, or simply not willing to either give up the machine or to incur the loss of trading them. I would guess that if Spyder RT owners who have had repeated issues, experiences with limp mode, or other reliability issues traded their Spyders, it would be higher than 6 or 7. That said, many or most have not had problems of any kind with the RT, which is certainly a hopeful sign for the future. I agree that at some point BRP will address all these issues - I was simply not going to wait around for that.

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    From my count, it appears that 6 or 7 units have been dumped because of warranty issues. I don't think that out of 4000 members that is a very high percentage.
    My RTS-SE has been realigned and the clutch fix has been done, so I,m very happy with my machine.
    Now to get motivated enough to get the Ride-On and HMT installed!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

So be it.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=The Spyder RT is a high rpm machine. Forget that it sounds to you like it is coming apart...this thing needs to run in the upper half of the rpm scale. It is not really that happy below 5,000 rpm. Yes, it will operate at 3,500-4,000, but it will not be that happy. It will be miserable below that. Try some more revs, and see if it gets happier. You won't hurt it.[/QUOTE]

Do you feel the the "08 GS needs to be run up there as well?
    I usually shift around 5k
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post
    Do you feel the the "08 GS needs to be run up there as well?
    I usually shift around 5k
    It all depends on your riding style. That being said , the 08-09 makes great power between 5700 and 8000 rpm , my wife usually shifted hers around 7000 , I was typically higher. I shift my RT around 7500 unless I really need to hustle. Oh By the way , the thing falls on its face about 11000 rpm...
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Okay I traded my SE-5 which failed it's third oil pressure sensor on a cross country trip about 125 niles over the mountains from the nearest dealer who had a whole three weeks of experience. It had bunches of little problems the whole time I had it and I decided to make the trip home from Oregon to West Virginia in a U-haul van with it in the back costing me thousands more than anticipated. I traded dealers and for a new RT-S with a trailer, got fairly decent trade-in value and now have a new bike with all the problems fixed right? I have about 1700 miles on the bike and it has been back for the first service at the cost of $180 for the oil change and lookover. It has an occaisional lock up i first gear till it stalls itself and I have to restart it. It has poped into limp mode with VSS issues about three times since I bought it and it will not seem to stay in trailer towing mode when it is shut off for any reason with the trailer in tow. If you gas it up you have to reenter the trailer towing mode each and every time.

Power seems more than adequate for riding single with the new bike but it is even more of a gas hog then the old 2008 was getting about 120 miles a tankfull. In three years to make changes and improve MPG, reliability, and model short comings they have made nothing but new problems and new models it seems to me. The bike still has a very weird handling like an indecisive 4 wheeler with tendecy toward terrible trailing throttle understeer. While I enjoy the feeling of freedom while driving this and the first trike I am really wondering if I made another mistake trading for the new one?

Many dealers have little or no training on taking care of these new trikes or even the older ones and the dealer network is spread out very widely making owners wander far and wide to get service on a very complex and specialized piece of equipment. The dealer support from BRP is complicated, time consuming, and inconsise in help making many dealers regret ever getting involved with Can Am and BRP. BRP's product line is known for being on the leading edge of technology but everything they sell is more expensive and hard to get good knowing work done on and hard to get parts for making for a very frustrating situation for owners.

I find much frustration in all the posts on this thread and at the same time I find boundless optimism expounded by many surpassing the edges of realistic approach and sanity at times. Where will it all end? I don't know but when I get close to the end of my warrantee this Spyder will go and I will be done with these things for good! Just to me seems to be the realistic and sane decision! Regrets are far outweighing the fun I am having and I can't shake the feeling that when is this sucker going to dump me in the middle of nowhere with no cell service and maybe bad weather and miles between me and safety. Not a situation which makes one feel safe and secure with what you are doing. Bill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile keepin' it!

Nope-planning on keeping it - as with all new technology and new models there will be some problems, although we all hope there won't be.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't think those buying $100,000 cars care. It is not their main vehicle,
    it is a "LOOK AT ME" I am rich, and they spend less (%) then most people doing buying a commute car.

I like the Spyder no test ride (thanks to local dealers Hayward and Livermore CA), but if I bought one it would not be my main vehicle.

Thou what I have seen on this site I would only take a 2008 as a gift IF under warranty.

The nice people here can put up with more downtime then I could.
    I do not have anyone to help me get the Spyder back to the shop when it breaks down and I don't live where I could store a trailer to move it myself.

I haven't been able to find a new or used within driving distance (xcept the one Antelopspyder bought).

I m 62 and do not have the time to have my TOY in the shop for extended visits.

I only want a Spyder with a handlebar riser, and prefer SE5. (RS) , but not with local prices over $15k and $1200-$1600 setup and freight +9.75% sales tax.
    So I guess I am going to continue to be a Spyder wantabe
    Last edited by buckey48; 07-13-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Contacted an attorney

I've contacted an attorney on Friday to find out my legal recourse. Carlos gave me his offer of what he could do for me, but it's no where near satisfactory, at least to me. The drama continues & all I want is to be out ryde'n