Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Is there anything special you need to do after you run out of gas on the Spyder?

I am not planning on running out of gas on purpose, or by mistake, but just curious as I know many cars now have a reset switch that needs to be activated after they run out of fuel. Whn my Spyder hits 3 bars on the fuel gauge, I begin looking for the next gas station.
    Nope, just put gas in and start it up.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Nope, just put gas in and start it up.
    Thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Well this thread confused the heck out of me...

Okay, so either my spyder is a freak of nature or I just ride easier than most. Prior to reading this thread I had estimated I was getting around 200 or so miles per tank. After reading this thread I was rather baffled and thought I must just be wrong. Yesterday I filled it up and rode 110 to 120 miles and it is still reading more than half a tank. I hot dog it from time to time because I like the sound of the muffler, but I guess when I ride I get looking at the scenery or and slow down or something because I'm guessing I can get around 250 miles per tank.

Amanda

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Firefly, Just remenber that E on the guage does not stand for ENOUGH to get to the next gas station.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    Okay, so either my spyder is a freak of nature or I just ride easier than most. Prior to reading this thread I had estimated I was getting around 200 or so miles per tank. After reading this thread I was rather baffled and thought I must just be wrong. Yesterday I filled it up and rode 110 to 120 miles and it is still reading more than half a tank. I hot dog it from time to time because I like the sound of the muffler, but I guess when I ride I get looking at the scenery or and slow down or something because I'm guessing I can get around 250 miles per tank.

Amanda
    I don't think 1/2 on that gauge is actually reflective of 1/2 in the real world---- let us know what you get outta the tank..

----------------

I start looking for gas when I see 2 bars---and the 25-28 mpg doesn't bother me--- just wanted to know for sure what my tank range was with varied ryding (hard, cruise, fast, etc.). I'm sure if I just cruised for a tank and kept things at the speed limit I would go much further.

Certainly it makes sense that a certain amount of the gas may be 'out of reach' from actually being usable, but I think it should be mentioned in the manual what the usable capacity really is.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I don't think 1/2 on that gauge is actually reflective of 1/2 in the real world---- let us know what you get outta the tank..

Yesterday I went riding to Seneca Rocks, WVA and I hit the 1/2 way mark at 95mi. I then had 1 bar at 145 and put 4.94 gallons in it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Firefly;224131]I don't think 1/2 on that gauge is actually reflective of 1/2 in the real world---- let us know what you get outta the tank..

Well...I won't fill it up and see how far I get around town for a bit. You may be right on that, but at 110-120 so far and it reading that high I'm certain I'll get a bit more. I do fill it more than I should probably also.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've been averaging around 27 mpg..... I ryde pretty hard and have various gas eating mods.
    this is close to having a turbo...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I switched over to my trip meter after filling up the other day for the first time, just to see what would happen. I made it 132 miles when the low fuel light came on. I don't know how much further I could have run, and wasn't about to push it to find out.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

whoops - mpT

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Is that mpg or mptank

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I hadn't paid any attention to my gas gauge until the light came on. I guess I was having too much fun & hadn't paid attention to the little things like gas consumption. Honestly, I had no clue I had ridden that many miles. Anyways, when I flipped the trip meter I had 157 miles on that tank. Luckily, I was in town & when I filled up I put in 4.789 gallons. One of these days I'd like to run it out just to see how far I can go.

Deb

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Always wanted to find out

Most I ever put in was 5.5, the bars were always gone at that point. Well pushed it a bit far last night and ended up pushing it a few blocks to the filling station. 180 files on the nose. I put the nozzle in about an 1 and 1/2 deep and let it shut off itself. Took 6.01 gallons. Manual says 6.6. I will leave the extra 1/2 gallon at the station. My first Spyder caught on fire with just a couple of bars showing, don't want to push my luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default ran outta gas

today's trip was 245 km which is 152 miles, fuel light came on backing into the garage, was all hard hiway driving, bucking some serious winds. I think that is pretty good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have tried to strike a balance of performance and efficiency in what I have done to this point on 14. The RS-S is almost completely stock and the fuelly on that one is off the hook! constantly well over 35 MPG. In fact I have gotten 42 on one occasion.

The mileage I get on 14 depends on alot of things. Mostly the type of riding I do, which usually pretty hard! and even then I have never gotten worse than 32.

Now, If I start punching cylinders and gosh knows what else my evil brain can cook up you can kiss any kind of fuelly goodbye! But I'm not going to care so the point is mute... or moot... or irrelevant!! I WANT POWER AND TORQUE AND SPEED! oh, sorry, lost it there for a moment!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

how many bars do you have showing when your fuel light comes on?

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    today's trip was 245 km which is 152 miles, fuel light came on backing into the garage, was all hard hiway driving, bucking some serious winds. I think that is pretty good.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post
    how many bars do you have showing when your fuel light comes on?

Mine comes on with 1 bar left.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default gas

usually 1 bar showing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The last two tanks I only got 22 mpg. I am sure it is operator error so can anyone tell me at what rpm should I be shifting gears?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I switched over to my trip meter after filling up the other day for the first time, just to see what would happen. I made it 132 miles when the low fuel light came on. I don't know how much further I could have run, and wasn't about to push it to find out.
    I second that, and just to let you know, I purposly ran my bike out of gas just to test how many miles I have after my light comes on. On my bike, I have almost exactly 20 miles after my light comes on. I normally put in a little over 4 gallons when i fill up and my average mileage is between 30 and 32mpg.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

On long rides I need a smoke and a mountain dew long before the spyder needs a fill up I keep adding stuff to push more fuel through it, turbo is next . I compensate by riding my moped or electric bike from time to time. If I need to do really long stints I will have to work out some kinda in flight refueling. And mount a cup holder and a ashtray

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default gas mileage on 1900 mile trip

I've been off the forum for a while, but just want to chime in on this fuel thread.

I just finished an awesome 1900 mile "Ride the Rockies" tour over an extended Labor Day weekend.

Average for the trip was 33.4mpg, so I started looking for gas at about 150 mile increments. Actually did a little better planning than that, because some of those ribbons of highway go along for quite a while between civilization. I did AZ, NM, CO and UT...just a spectacular 5 days of great weather and spectacular scenery. only 3 spyder sightings along the way...Los Alamos, NM, Twin Lakes, CO and Globe AZ.

I'll post some pix in an album this weekend.

Cooler weather is returning to AZ, so a-riding I shall go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    The last two tanks I only got 22 mpg. I am sure it is operator error so can anyone tell me at what rpm should I be shifting gears?
    In easy riding, I normally shift around 4500 rpms. If I'm riding a little harder, I shift at upwards of 5500 - 6000 rpms. I usually get around 30 mpg on my Spyder.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

There's one thing missing in this thread... mileage differences between the manual transmission and the semi auto tranny. The auto tranny probably gets lousier gas mileage than the manual trans (my guess).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have run out of gas on the Spyder once as well... on I-880S in Oakland. We were able to push it down the off-ramp and into the Shell station. I don't remember what the mileage was on the tank... probably about 130 - 140. We were surprised. I know it didn't take 6.7 gallons.... about 6 is the limit.

Our best MPG has been 42.2 and over 175 miles to the tank with fuel to spare. We've gotten over 40 MPG a few times.... typically thought we average about low to mid 30's, but that's with sitting in Bay Area traffic.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rider Steve View Post
    There's one thing missing in this thread... mileage differences between the manual transmission and the semi auto tranny. The auto tranny probably gets lousier gas mileage than the manual trans (my guess).
    I doubt there is any difference at all-- actually since the SE5 does the downshifting consistently--- it may be better.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!