Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder SE5 automatic shift gears?

When should I shift on my Spyder SE5 automatic. I get conflicting info. Some say stay in first until about 7000. Others say shift out of first at 3000 but not much guidance after that

Spyder Garage

I shift forward in gears between 4,100 and 4,300 rpms if I,m just driving easy on a country ride or around town.

WELCOME to SPYDER LOVERS!!!
    Last edited by Sarge707; 07-01-2010 at 12:03 PM.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

4000+

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I shift forward in gears between 4,100 and 4,300 rpms if I,m just driving easy on a country ride or around town.

Spyder Garage

I tend to go more by "feel" rather than watching the actual rpm's.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

I have 2009 SE-5 about 18,000 miles and all my shifts are in the 4500 to 6000 range depending on how quick I want to get up to speed .

Some change at lower RPMs ,some at higher RPMs.

The likes the high RPMs and I think you would be hard pressed to red line it .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Agreed Twice?? welcome

Spyder Garage

Talking

All good info... My $.02... "After" the 600 mile recommended break in period... My shifting is 5000 to 5800 most of the time. And about 80% of the time we are two up. I shift by ear and how the bike feels. Not by the RPM's... If I am merging into a hwy or "Sport" ryding... I keep the RPM's up till I feel a drop in power then shift...

That said.. The amount of weight on the bike, the type of road conditions and if a trailer is in tow, makes all the difference in the world on these bikes.

When two up ours seems to love the 5000 to 7800 range depending on the attitude of the driver and the terrain at the time

We live in a hilly area, and the likelihood of us finding a road that is flat for more than three miles in the surrounding 30 miles is about zero. So a flatlander would have different RPM needs
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Default the dumbest question ever.

First Hi to all. I went to the grocerie store today and as I was departing, as you all no here they come people wanna talk, but there was one gentlmen who asked me if I was from kentucky, as i have no accent there was a pause then I asked him why he asked and he said because your seat says corbin......(corbin kentucky) I'm from michigan. I just got a kick out of it so I thought i share that.

Spyder Garage

Default 4500 and above

An easy reference point for me, I try to keep the revs so the needle on the tach is never lower than 3:00 o'clock after a shift which usualy requires about 6-6500 RPM prior to the shift. Greater acceleration if you need to pass or climb a hill.

Spyder Garage

Default Hello Ladyryder

Quote Originally Posted by ladyryder View Post
    First Hi to all. I went to the grocerie store today and as I was departing, as you all no here they come people wanna talk, but there was one gentlmen who asked me if I was from kentucky, as i have no accent there was a pause then I asked him why he asked and he said because your seat says corbin......(corbin kentucky) I'm from michigan. I just got a kick out of it so I thought i share that.
    Hello Ladyryder. Pretty funny story.It deserves it's own Thread.

As far as shifting, my spyder rolls along just fine no matter what RPM I shift at, within reasonable limits.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    I have 2009 SE-5 about 18,000 miles and all my shifts are in the 4500 to 6000 range depending on how quick I want to get up to speed .

Some change at lower RPMs ,some at higher RPMs.

The likes the high RPMs and I think you would be hard pressed to red line it .
    Very occasionally around 7,000 or 8,000 rpm (if i really want to scoot) but usually between 5,000 & 6,500

Spyder Garage

That's the range I use around town. Hyw depends on traffic conditions a if two up or not. Until you get use to your ear telling you, and or the feel of the bike. Be safe and enjoy the ride.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary