Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default tranny problems 2009 SE5

anybody have any trouble when downshifting from 2nd into 1st gear? Here's whats going on.
    When i down it to first gear about 30% of the time is a long delay about 2 to 3 seconds before it gets into first. It's not instant whatsoever like downing it from other gears, theres a long delay and sometimes the rpm goes up and down and the tranny is trying to do something but can't figure out what to do. Than it slams into first hard.. It's like the clutch monkey is holding the clutch in and wont let it out when he is supposed 2.

Is it the GPS ?, Does this happen to anyone else?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

its usually at a slow speed, ive downed it many times at higher rpms and it works the way it should

Spyder Garage

Default Grounded coils...?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post
    its usually at a slow speed, ive downed it many times at higher rpms and it works the way it should
    Hey Hammer..., have you had your coils grounded like many of us had to do to finish with erratical shifting problems in the 2009 SE5's...?

Regards, Pilo
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

yes sir, done

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

and it also jumps forward some times when i shut the engine down....

Spyder Garage

That happened to my wife once while she was ryding my Spyder. I think she actually got an error code on the display, but can't remember for sure. I never had the problem, but the dealer replaced the GPS as they said it failed a test. Haven't had any problems since then.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

happens to me too

i downshift to first in higher rpms now to avoid the coast and shift. It isn't nice for a slow turn to coast and engage hard near the apex.

if coming to a stop i just let it auto shift.
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by altonk View Post
    happens to me too

i downshift to first in higher rpms now to avoid the coast and shift. It isn't nice for a slow turn to coast and engage hard near the apex.

if coming to a stop i just let it auto shift.
    good way to describe it, "avoid" coast and shift, that's what's happening same with turning and the apex.

Have you had yours looked at by brp ?

Spyder Garage

Default SE 2nd to 1st downshift

Mine started the same intermittent issue about 1500 miles ago and I asked the dealer to check it. Nothing showed up as an issue and I can honestly say it has not progressed. I think there are times when I am twisting the throttle slightly causing the issue. The automatic downshift works fine although I now notice that it will not consistently make the shift into 1st automatically. Sometimes I will make a turn and find out it is still in 2nd when it should have shifted IMO.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Toys42 View Post
    Mine started the same intermittent issue about 1500 miles ago and I asked the dealer to check it. Nothing showed up as an issue and I can honestly say it has not progressed. I think there are times when I am twisting the throttle slightly causing the issue. The automatic downshift works fine although I now notice that it will not consistently make the shift into 1st automatically. Sometimes I will make a turn and find out it is still in 2nd when it should have shifted IMO.
    While the SE5 downshifts to the other gears automatically when the RPM gets down to 2500, it will not downshift into 1st until they are way lower. It does appear to vary at times as well, as I have had mine downshift at 1800 RPM and at other times it waited until 1400 RPM. Since the Spyder idles at 1300-1450 or so, it makes sense that if the throttle is open at all you may not get the auto downshift when you were expecting it.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I had down shifting problems last week not always going to first gear when coasting to a stop. Spyder now in shop got stuck in 3rd gear getting of the freeway. Was hard to take off from a light in 3rd gear but made it home safe by avoiding stoplights.

Spyder Garage

anybody have any trouble when downshifting from 2nd into 1st gear? Here's whats going on.
    When i down it to first gear about 30% of the time is a long delay about 2 to 3 seconds before it gets into first. It's not instant whatsoever like downing it from other gears, theres a long delay and sometimes the rpm goes up and down and the tranny is trying to do something but can't figure out what to do. Than it slams into first hard.. It's like the clutch monkey is holding the clutch in and wont let it out when he is supposed 2.

That sounds similar to a problem I had a few weeks back. I could hear the transmission hunting then it finally clicked in.

My dealer found a string of missed shifts in the codes, and replaced the gear position sensor and the shift solenoid. No problem since.

Now if only it would blip the throttle like it is supposed to, it would be perfect.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

i had an appointment to have mine looked at today but can't make it in.

Spyder Garage

I had all kinds of issues going to 1st. It also wouldn't disengage once it got there causing dragging, having to jam brakes, flip the throttle etc.

They changed my whole clutch assembly out and it rides like a completely differnet bike now. All issues are gone.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

mine is going in midweek,, mine creeps pretty bad now too amongst other things

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Road Hammer - mine does the same and at about the same frequency. I have made sure that it has been documented but would rather have them work on it during the winter months when I can't ride it anyway. The technician, who is really good, says he has not seen it on anyother Spyders that he has worked on but he did manage to reproduce the issue. It would be a transmission over-haul in his opinion, but he hasn't opened it up to further investigate.

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    While the SE5 downshifts to the other gears automatically when the RPM gets down to 2500, it will not downshift into 1st until they are way lower. It does appear to vary at times as well, as I have had mine downshift at 1800 RPM and at other times it waited until 1400 RPM. Since the Spyder idles at 1300-1450 or so, it makes sense that if the throttle is open at all you may not get the auto downshift when you were expecting it.
    Mine will also have a delay when manually shifting (also approx 20 - 30% of the time). mostly when lower RPM (under 3,500). It seems it might be related to oil pressure as when the oil level is lower it appears to be a little more frequent.

Spyder Garage

was your gps and other stuff covered under warranty? the gear shift on mine is done for, it will slide off the shaft even after I put a bigger bolt in it, had some issues today where it reved a few times when trying to go into reverse.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I brought it in on wed and did an oil + tranny filter change.. The tech said my tranny filter was pooched, he had no idea why. He had never seen something like that before.. Sort of like the tranny filter had slowly disintegrated.
    HE took it for a test drive and couldn't reproduce the delayed first gear downshift. I put on 500k's since and had the delayed first gear shift once so far.. I guess it's the nature of the beast.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've had no such problems on my '09 SE5. I did have the trans filter replaced at the 3k service.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I had all kinds of issues going to 1st. It also wouldn't disengage once it got there causing dragging, having to jam brakes, flip the throttle etc.

They changed my whole clutch assembly out and it rides like a completely differnet bike now. All issues are gone.

Glad to see you got your Spyder fixed.