Spyder Garage

Default What should I be aware of for the PA Skills Test at the DMV?

I currently have my PA MC permit but want to take my 3-wheel driver's skill test on my Spyder at my local DMV (Chippewa, PA).

I am not able to go to the free testing facility that is in Pittsburgh. So, I am just wanting to take my test at the DMV, similar to taking the test in a vehicle. I understand that taking the course will get me the three wheel endorsement but again, not interested in that.

Has anyone done this? I am looking to find out what I should be aware of that is on the driving test? What should I be testing?

Figure 8's. Sudden stop? Location of turn signals, horn, etc.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2024 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I think your best answer would be to give the DMV a call and ask them what is on the test. Then, you will have no surprises.

The good thing is that with three wheels you are not going to fall over or mess up if you have to drive the obstacle course through the cones. Just don't kill your Spyder on the "quick stop."

Good luck on the test.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scottncol View Post
    I currently have my PA MC permit but want to take my 3-wheel driver's skill test on my Spyder at my local DMV (Chippewa, PA).

I am not able to go to the free testing facility that is in Pittsburgh. So, I am just wanting to take my test at the DMV, similar to taking the test in a vehicle. I understand that taking the course will get me the three wheel endorsement but again, not interested in that.

Has anyone done this? I am looking to find out what I should be aware of that is on the driving test? What should I be testing?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Scottncol:

If you can take the Pa. motorcycle safety course (it's free in Pa.) when you graduate you get a motorcycle license. Great class - you learn a lot and get the license.
    Jim
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

I took the course in Arizona and Washington would not honor it, so just took the Washington course and walking in a couple days later and they had received my info from the class an put the endorsement on my DL. Az gives you a card, and you can go straight to the DMV and have the endorsement add. Last year at the time I became an Arizona Resident and they carried my endorsement over to my DL here. I thought both course were good, and Washington's included side car. One is never to old to learn!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance!
    Check the local DDS/DMV website. There is probably an online copy of the study material. That should give you an idea of what to prepare for.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 12:31 PM.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Why not go to the skills test location and observe the testing procedures.
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone... I guess I am looking for someone with experience taking the test in PA who can tell me what it was like.

Appreciate all of your suggestions.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Check the local DDS/DMV website. There is probably an online copy of the study material. That should give you an idea of what to prepare for.
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    Why not go to the skills test location and observe the testing procedures.
    Good ideas. However, they RARELY do 3-wheel bikes and the test is much different for these.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 12:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Scottncol,
    I'm taking the 3 wheel test soon so I can provide some feed back then. But I did find this video on YouTube from Purple On 3 they live in PA, hopefully this helps out some. It's a few years old, but should still be relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR8xlSToDDM
    ~ PJ ~
    2023 Spyder RT STD - Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

The topic and replies seem a bit confusing.

Seems the person that created the topic stated he already has a motorcycle license endorsement for PA.

Does PA. require a three wheel endorsement also?

If they do not require a three wheel endorsement, why even bother attending the class or taking the test, seems a bit silly to do.

Spyder Garage

It is a bit confusing. So in PA you have a "M" license that allows you to operate 2/3 wheel motorcycles, and then you have a "M9" license that will only allow you to operate a 3 wheel motorcycle.

But as the OP stated in the post they only have their PA Motorcycle Permit, which currently allows them to operate both 2 and 3 wheel motorcycles. But by taking the 3 wheel motorcycle test either at the DMV or via a course, it will add a "M9" restriction to your license that will only allow you to operate a 3 wheel motorcycle.

DMV site for anyone who is interested in seeing additional information.
    https://www.dmv.pa.gov/pages/faq%20p...questions.aspx
    ~ PJ ~

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance!
    Here is another video I found on Youtube posted a few years back, of someone taking the DMV 3 Wheel Endorsement Test.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43vLaEmnfsA
    ~ PJ ~

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    The topic and replies seem a bit confusing.

Seems the person that created the topic stated he already has a motorcycle license endorsement for PA.
    As stated in my first comment, "I currently have my PA MC permit "

Spyder Garage

As stated in my first comment, "I currently have my PA MC permit "
    My bad for believing that your PA motorcycle permit held similar status as here in Florida.
    All the best with your tests and getting whatever endorsement it is you desire.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Passed my skills test... no problem.

Spyder Garage

That's awesome congrats.
    ~ PJ ~

Spyder Garage

Passed my skills test... no problem.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red