Spyder Garage

Default The Sopher Third Brake Light Bar (with turn signals)

OK, So I had a few different designs for the third brake light. One such design was a larger version of the LED's I used for my Mud Flaps but placed in the recessed area above the BRP emplem on the RT trunk.

BUT, I came across these nice, thin and very bright flexible LED's. 1mm spacing, about 1 foot in lenght. The added two smaller segments for the turn signals. The turns have about 25 led's in each.

Best part; NO drilling required!!! The four wires (1 ground and one positive for each of the three segments) are run UNDER the BRP chrome into a mounting hole. The entire emblem has a rubber mount under it and keeps everything water tight. I even added silicon daps where needed to ensure waterproofness.

The inside wiring for the segments tie off the existing left side brake light wire. The turns come off one from the left side and one from the right. The stock turn signal wires have black as ground and some other color for the hot side.
    Getting the final lighted picture reguired a weight to be placed on the brake pedal! Oh and yes the hazard lights lit up the new turns as well!

Enjoy!

Here are the final pictures!

Last edited by Sopher; 06-24-2010 at 08:53 PM.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Very nice!!

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

OK... That is just to good looking to not try before I drill our ryde. Would you be kind enough to link me to the item(s) purchased? I want to hold it up on ours to see which one of the two types I want on it... Thank you for your time!!

Unless your going to sell this as a kit? Them PM me your cost and info and I will buy one =]
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 06-25-2010 at 12:35 AM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Nice job. Looks good. Would like to know how it holds up after a few washes ?
    Happy Owner

Registered Users InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    I came across these nice, thin and very bright flexible LED's. 1mm spacing, about 1 foot in lenght. The added two smaller segments for the turn signals. The turns have about 25 led's in each.

Enjoy!
    Great placement and I love the the looks. It blends in very well and appears to be very bright.
    Thanks for sharing. C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Those look very good, and definitely add more visibility to the rear end of your Spyder. Great job!
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the praise. It should hold up very well even if wet. The entire tube (Yes it in ONE TUBE!) is waterproofed at each end.

The tube (1/4" thin or so) is held on via the 3M automotive doubleside tape. If you have EVER used this stuff you know how tough it is. Once ON, it usually takes a screwdriver to pry it off. Since no drill hole was needed, no worry for leaks. I'm not selling these, but PM be for details.

Just spreading the joy...

RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Nice job. Looks good. Would like to know how it holds up after a few washes ?
    Well, the same setup has been on the back of Valk since 2003. Is that long enough?

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Instructions:

The way I modified them, was to wire up the common side ground wire for all three segments. Then string the units into the red tube so that only four wires come out the end. Thus eliminating two black wire leads. Carefully insert the right signal array then the brake then the left signal array into the tube. It will be a tight fit. Be careful as the array is delicate. Seal the ends with silicon and DONT put too much so to cover any LEDs. Once the array is sealed, it is flexible and very sturdy.

Then on the RT, remove the six or so screws on the underside of the trunk lid. That allows the lid to separate. Remove the screw and two retaining rings that hold the BRP emblem on. This reveals the rubber gasket and two holes. Run the four wires into the left side hole. Carefully re-attach the emblem. Leave only about half an inch of wire and let the array dangle for a bit. Tighten the emblem.

Take the 3M tape and cut a strip about 3/16" wide and cut as many as needed to make the length of the array. place this first layer between the emblem edge and lid to build up the first of two layers to make the emblem edge align to be vertical. Second cut another length of 3M tape 1/4" wide and do the same. At this point the 3M tape fills the V shaped edge of the emblem and the lid. NOW you can attach the array with its 3M tape directly to the built up 3M tapes. It sounds like a lot, but really isn't. This 3M tape is very very strong!

Using clear silicon (from Home depot) fill any void on the left and right so that its watertight and allows any water to run off and away. A bead can also be run underside the array but i did not do this. Also use the clear silicon to seal the left and right retaining rings that hold the emblem. I had to mangle mine to remove the emblem.

Now comes the wiring.
    Undo the bolts that hold the rear bumper. Undo the three bolts that hold each rear speaker. Remove the bolts that hold the left and right tail light. Tap into the left side tail light for Left side signal; the black is ground, lighter color is the signal Positive wire. Connect that to correct array wire. TEST THAT FIRST! Do the same for right side signal. The brake light can also be taped. Its the first wire the goes into the rear light plugs.

Then, lastly... Enjoy.
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the pm!!!!!
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

One other note. If you were to shorten the long brake LED segment by say 3 or 4 inches, then the 3 or 4" segment can be devided in two and used elsewhere. Namely side marker/signal lights on the broadside edge of the saddle bags.

Just a thought. (wink wink)
    Other secret mods.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice!

Spyder Garage

The parts can be purchased from here. http://www.radiantz.com/index1.html?c100.html&1

I got mine at a vendor booth at Laconia NH a few years back.
    Other secret mods.