Thread: hand grips

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default hand grips

Love my 2010 RTS PE but hate the skinny handgrips. Anyone know of some fat grips that will work with the heated grip function?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

kuryakyn iso grips will work but, you will loose the throttle side heat. I have them on my RTS and only the left grip has heat. BRP Tech said throttle side heat won't work unless Kuryakyn makes a set specifically for the RTS. Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of split Kury grips for the GL1800 Goldwing. They will allow you to keep your heated grips but they won't work on the SE because the paddle shift hits the grip. I haven't tried it on a SM but I'm pretty sure it would work fine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Foam Grips

Here is an cost effective option for your consideration, and one that a number of people have utilized on their Spyders.

Run down to your local Walmart or bicycle store and purchase a set of foam bicycle handgrips. Cut off the ends to the appropriate length of your stock grips, boil them in water for a few minutes to expand them, coat the inside with dish detergent and finally slip them over your stock grips. Rinse off the detergent and you are good to go. They are very comfortable and also allow the heat to come through quite well.

Total cost ~ $5.00. Installation time ~ 5 minutes

Spyder Garage

There is a company in California called "Grip Puppies", they make a grip sleeve similiar to what is pictured above. I had a set on my RS, I really liked the feel and they did make the grip larger and easier to hang unto especially on a long ride, they also do a good job of dampening vibration. If I'm not mistaken, they can be used over heated grips as well. They are very reasonably priced, and ship the same day as ordered. The only down side in my experience is that they tend to hold water like a sponge, you really notice it if you ride in the rain. I've been thinking about ordering a set for my RTS.

Spyder Garage

Oops......scratch that, the "product" is called "grip puppies", the company is Californai Sport Touring. They carry a number of different grip products. Here's the web link http://www.casporttouring.com/

Registered Users InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    Oops......scratch that, the "product" is called "grip puppies", the company is Californai Sport Touring. They carry a number of different grip products. Here's the web link http://www.casporttouring.com/
    Thanks for the link. I ordered a set last night, but they called today to say that the grip puppies are on backorder for a week - 10 days.
    I'll report when I get them installed.
    Thanks again C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

I have had the grip puppies on now for a week and I like them so far. They do change the clutch reach, so I had to modify the settings on the clutch lever. It takes a little longer for the grip warmers to become effective, but the heat is still there.
    I like the feel and the looks, and they were a snap to install.
    Thanks C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default grip puppies

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I have had the grip puppies on now for a week and I like them so far. They do change the clutch reach, so I had to modify the settings on the clutch lever. It takes a little longer for the grip warmers to become effective, but the heat is still there.
    I like the feel and the looks, and they were a snap to install.
    Thanks C-YA RL
    They have 2 grips in the catalog. Which did u get?

chili

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chili View Post
    They have 2 grips in the catalog. Which did u get?

chili
    The small work just fine---I still had to cut a bit off of the end of the puppies for a perfect fit.
    Thanks C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default grip puppies

I got them and they make a big difference in comfort. I am just the opposite though I wish they didn't make the grips so big. The grip puppies make them really big around.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes I wish I lived in the US. $9.80 for a pair of grip puppies and $59 postage to Australia, what the..........I will have to re-think the whole thing.
    Danny

2010 RT-S PE103 replacement
    Life maybe short, but death is longer. One day at a time.

Spyder Garage

Wink

It rains a lot in my neck of the woods during the winter (Go figure ) SO I do not want to grip a sponge every time I go to ryde... I am planning to try these out... http://www.theratek.com/ItemForm.asp...2-4ba139c57175

Might be to big, even might have other issues like the size... But we will see
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    It rains a lot in my neck of the woods during the winter (Go figure ) SO I do not want to grip a sponge every time I go to ryde...
    After introducing the Grip Puppies here, I subsequently changed over to these on the Spyder. I liked them a lot!
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...2&postcount=53
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    After introducing the Grip Puppies here, I subsequently changed over to these on the Spyder. I liked them a lot!
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...2&postcount=53
    Very cool thank you!.... I was just looking at these as well... http://www.bikepartsexpress.com/ctgy/C131_0015.html

And these for pretty colors =] http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...59669-3515658-
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 07-22-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default grips

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    Thanks for the link. I ordered a set last night, but they called today to say that the grip puppies are on backorder for a week - 10 days.
    I'll report when I get them installed.
    Thanks again C-YA RL
    Thanks, I ordered a set today....
    Chili