Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RT Top Speed

Spyder Garage

I drove an AMC Matador (remember those?) at 145 on the Harbor Freeway at 3:30 in the morning once. As I screamed into the ER driveway the car threw a rod and began to smoke badly under the hood. LA Fire extinguished the flames.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

My RT goes "fast enough" . . . I've had it up to 85, just to see how it would do . . . there was still more throttle available, but that was enough for me. Normally, I'm much closer to the speed limit. The Spyder is expensive enough to ride without losing the discounts I get from my insurance company!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How fast can your Guardian Angel fly??
    This isn't an important topic...

Said the insurance man.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I had just installed the Borla exhaust system on my 2005 Thunderbird and decided to let in run on the way home. There is a stretch of interstate 20 between Greensboro and Madison that is a very straight stretch for fifteen or twenty miles.

I tried to get into 5th but the engine could not pull to the red line in that gear. Best I could do in 4th gear (that is almost direct drive) was 145 mph and then the front end got very light and a bit scary. I have never had the urge to go this fast on my Spyder.

Took this shot with my cell phone.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the information about top speed. It is good to know its there, if and when needed. I have not had any of my 's up or beyond 95 mph. When I went to Canada, I did go 150 once. KPH though. I found those speeds to be enough for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Said the insurance man.
    I just HATE what my job has done to the...
    http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/19591
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-30-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Wild and crazy guy!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I have always been scared to post any of my top speeds on the web. I am always worried that somehow , someway, somewhere it will come back to bite me. I can just see opening my mailbox to a stack of tickets. :-) I will say I have been way over 150. On 2 wheels and 4. As far as spyders are concerned it was 108 on the RT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

When we were at the dealer last week, they had a Spyder that they claimed held the speed record of about 170 mph.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FiFi View Post
    When we were at the dealer last week, they had a Spyder that they claimed held the speed record of about 170 mph.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

i have a friend who went just over 150 in a stripped down old pontiac catalina police cruiser several years ago late one night on I 40. at least that is what the radar gun showed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    i have a friend who went just over 150 in a stripped down old pontiac catalina police cruiser several years ago late one night on I 40. at least that is what the radar gun showed.
    Wow.

Mine wasn't "clocked", and I was too busy driving to look at the sppedometer.

The shop mechanic said that I killed the engine in second gear, that it should be so many RPMs, and Internal Affairs calculated the speed it probably was going. There wasn't a rev limiter, and apparently the thing sprung an oil leak when I jumped the curb on the freeway off ramp. It was kind of hard to tell that for sure because of the fire. I would have taken a ten day suspension if the other officer had not lived.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Over the speed limit but under a hundred - you're speeding.

Over a hundred - you're qualifying.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I have seen 103 indicated on my RT on a section of empty, straight, level Florida I-95. I frequently cruise at 75mph on the freeway without any problems. And I am NOT a small person.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Super Senior Member
    Spyder Garage

Wondering just how fast DocDoru has drove his???
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze
    Inspector Gadgets cupholder & rear deck brake light

Spyder Garage

Smile

I was riding a Victory cross country just west of Laramie,Wy on I 80 when I decided to run her up to 100.I was running a car tire on the back.Got into a high speed wobble at 95 which turned into a tank slapper and pitched me off. I had aftermarket lowers on the front at the start of the trip but one broke off and had to take the other off because of the wind,and this made for some buffeting up under the upper fairing,put some air in the rear shock thinking I was nose high with bags loaded and it helped but I think when I hit that speed it lifted the front enough to start the wobble. the naysayers will say it was the car tire but I don't think so,it had been on there for 4 months and I'd been riding at 85 the previous 4 days. After I stopped sliding I had a the left hand broken in 5 places severe road rash on both knees and left butt cheek and left forearm,messed up left ankle.All this brought me to the Spyder because I couldn't squeeze a clutch.As soon as I got the boot off my left ankle and the insurance settlement I bought my 2012 RT Se 5 still had the cast on my hand.I couldn't stand to have to wait until everything healed to ride again.All that being said I've had the Spyder up to 85 passing cars,but at 65 years old I have no desire anymore to see how fast something will run. I was extremely lucky
    Last edited by gwritesel; 11-30-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    If it's that fast; they owner should be running it on the Salt Flats...

Racing on "Mahogany Ridge"...
    I've got a client who SWEARS that a local LEO (a good friend of his...) clocked him at 137mph on his GS...
    I mentioned Bonneville to him, and he quieted down pretty quick!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FiFi View Post

Out of the belly of a C-130 from 30,000 feet.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Wondering just how fast DocDoru has drove his???
    If I remember correctly, Doc Doru holds the world record for his class at around 128 mph. At Spyderfest 2013, he ran the 1/4 mile around 117 mph.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Out of the belly of a C-130 from 30,000 feet.
    Yup!

Spyder Garage

Default 106 flat out in 5th... the windshield is a facto.r but, the real question is?

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    This is more of an FYI than a debate to see how fast an RT will go- With the windshield down and me tucked in on a flat (not down hill) road with a small (~ 5-8 mph) headwind , I can see 103 out of the RT. (I weigh about 230)
    Was pulling about 99-100 in 4th and shifted to 5th, it just won't pull anymore. Now that does not surprise me , however , after doing dozens and dozens of runs in the triple digits on our original Spyders , I will tell you the RT is night and day versus the old Spyder handling wise at that speed. I can honestly say I am sure I could have ridden one handed. This was a back road , 2 lane with what i would call "paved it sometime in the 80's look". My point is it was not smooth road or flat cement pavement... The down force (I am assuming, based upon simply looking at the cowl design) must be significantly better. This thing just squats and goes. I am thoroughly impressed. I'll agree with most that the RT can be a little darty at times but once the laws of physics take over , and there is some serious downforce , this thing handles great.

Oh yeah and tucked in behind the windshield it was dead quiet at 100.
    how fast is the new rt with and extra cylinder and a 6th gear???????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fast enough to cost you a license; anyplace in North America...

Spyder Garage

In 2010, I had a tire (valve stem) blow on my ST 1300 at high speed on a desert back road about 50 miles from Raton N. W. I was lucky and skilled enough to keep it up but no cell service and little traffic caused a long wait and a nice sun burn. Speed classified. 2011, at Lamont's ride, I went ahead of the group to test my new mods on my spyder . This resulted in a ticket. Paying the fine hurt but the day in traffic school really hurt. All the young people in the class wanted to know what brought a 70 + old man to their unhappy group. Brakes on wheel chair failed? I made a 100 on the final, experience counts, but no more. I am resisting urges that rear on the long open road. I did a 8000 mile solo trip to Calif. and return to Ga. in 2012 and found the the spyder stable when the urges won in places like Montana. No numbers are mentioned to protect myself from cyber monitoring. Love my spyder.

Ride safe. Jerry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Fast enough to cost you a license; anyplace in North America...
    There was a guy a few years back who wanted to go real fast. The story goes that somehow he got ahold of a couple of rockets. He took his convertible car out to the dry lake near Jean Nevada and strapped the rockets to the side of his car. He went fast. Real fast. Couldn't stop. They apparently were unable to identify any of his remains from the grease spot that resulted on the mountain just South of the lake bed. He received a Darwin Award, posthumously.

I think the triple will be AT LEAST as fast as the Darwin Award recipient's car. Maybe faster. I just hope it has better brakes than the rocket propelled car did.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default my riding buddy

knew this guy, he name was bill and he was riding a hyabusa http://www.newsy.com/videos/fastest-...285-mph-crash/
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME