Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RT Top Speed

Spyder Garage

Default RT Top Speed

This is more of an FYI than a debate to see how fast an RT will go- With the windshield down and me tucked in on a flat (not down hill) road with a small (~ 5-8 mph) headwind , I can see 103 out of the RT. (I weigh about 230)
    Was pulling about 99-100 in 4th and shifted to 5th, it just won't pull anymore. Now that does not surprise me , however , after doing dozens and dozens of runs in the triple digits on our original Spyders , I will tell you the RT is night and day versus the old Spyder handling wise at that speed. I can honestly say I am sure I could have ridden one handed. This was a back road , 2 lane with what i would call "paved it sometime in the 80's look". My point is it was not smooth road or flat cement pavement... The down force (I am assuming, based upon simply looking at the cowl design) must be significantly better. This thing just squats and goes. I am thoroughly impressed. I'll agree with most that the RT can be a little darty at times but once the laws of physics take over , and there is some serious downforce , this thing handles great.

Oh yeah and tucked in behind the windshield it was dead quiet at 100.
    Last edited by widowmaker2011; 06-20-2010 at 07:11 AM.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have not pushed the byke to see what she will do. But a couple of weeks ago coming out of Jackson, MS on 20 West I pulled into joined a group of HDs running west. Riding two up (~330lbs) windshield all the way up we had no problem hitting 92mph. That is until my wife noticed our speed and hit on the back of the head!

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Got mine to 104 mph and thats all it had.
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

I got it to exactly 100.
    And getting from 99 to 100 was a real struggle.
    I thought sure there was a governor on the speed that won't let it go above 100.
    I know there was...I say WAS a governor on our TGB scooter that did prevent..I say DID prevent the scooter from going above 32 mph. Now of course, it peaks out around 45, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

So the way it behaved, I just thought there was a governor on the RT. Maybe I just need to lose some weight.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I got it to exactly 100.
    I thought sure there was a governor on the speed that won't let it go above 100.
    I know there was...I say WAS a governor on our TGB scooter that did prevent..I say DID prevent the scooter from going above 32 mph. Now of course, it peaks out around 45, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

So the way it behaved, I just thought there was a governor on the RT. Maybe I just need to lose some weight.
    Weight has far more to do with acceleration than with top speed (if you have a long enogh speed course). What you are fighting with the RT is the wind. This thing is the size of a barn door, with the aerodynamics of a brick. Slightly reduced horsepower from the RS, too. The "ton" is exceptionally good for this machine, IMO.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We don't have days without wind, but in a minor breeze of about 40mph I got 100 after about a mile. So sad my goldwing would bump 125 or better in that distance.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default But Why ?

I guess it is nice to know the top speed, but unfortunately there are very few places you can use it.

Spyder Garage

Default Top Speed

On a long straight away, I had my bike up to 117 mph that the speedo said but the gps read 110. I'm sure the gps was more accurate. Haven't tried doing it since!
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Spyder Garage

Those are better numbers than I could pull but I was towing a loaded trailer.

Spyder Garage

Got mine to 103 and had to back off cars in front and it maybe had another mile or two per hour but that was it.
    I had the windshield up all the way and set up straight without tucking behind.

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    This is more of an FYI than a debate to see how fast an RT will go- With the windshield down and me tucked in on a flat (not down hill) road with a small (~ 5-8 mph) headwind , I can see 103 out of the RT. (I weigh about 230)
    Was pulling about 99-100 in 4th and shifted to 5th, it just won't pull anymore. Now that does not surprise me , however , after doing dozens and dozens of runs in the triple digits on our original Spyders , I will tell you the RT is night and day versus the old Spyder handling wise at that speed. I can honestly say I am sure I could have ridden one handed. This was a back road , 2 lane with what i would call "paved it sometime in the 80's look". My point is it was not smooth road or flat cement pavement... The down force (I am assuming, based upon simply looking at the cowl design) must be significantly better. This thing just squats and goes. I am thoroughly impressed. I'll agree with most that the RT can be a little darty at times but once the laws of physics take over , and there is some serious downforce , this thing handles great.

Oh yeah and tucked in behind the windshield it was dead quiet at 100.
    Chezeburger
    2010 - Orbital Blue RT-S
    2003 - Yamaha V-Star 1100
    2012 - White RT-S Limited added 4/30/13

Spyder Garage

my shield is now 2 inch lower - had no problem with 110 mph ..think if i would go down with my head ... ?? but will test it
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    my shield is now 2 inch lower - had no problem with 110 mph ..think if i would go down with my head ... ?? but will test it
    Yeah, but is that miles or meters?
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Spyder Garage

did 176 km/hour ... thats aorund 110 miles/hour
    all not so easy for us .. but should be able to switch over with the menu
    would be intresting to do a test without the shield..
    chris (Austria)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I'll never know.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 104 all I got and had more rpm to go before red line what

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I got it to exactly 100.

Is this spyder governed my dealer said yes so does anyone know for sure posting a new topic on this

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old141fe View Post
    Is this spyder governed my dealer said yes so does anyone know for sure posting a new topic on this
    No, it is not governed. It does have a rev limiter. It just doesn't have enough guts to reach redline in high gear against the wind resistance.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I've been around 115 on my 1st GS. I've had my RT-S to around 87. Really,,, that's enough.

I don't want a ticket!!!!

On a side note; I rode a Kawasaki 750 triple 3 cylinder (2 stroke) to about 130mph. That was 1973. It was a little scary.
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

I got my RT to 90 by accident! It was not that hard!

Don't ask

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How fast can your Guardian Angel fly??
    This isn't an important topic...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Cool flying...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H. View Post
    I've been around 115 on my 1st GS. I've had my RT-S to around 87. Really,,, that's enough.

I don't want a ticket!!!!

On a side note; I rode a Kawasaki 750 triple 3 cylinder (2 stroke) to about 130mph. That was 1973. It was a little scary.
    I was on a 75mph two-lane country road, good surface. Got behind a semi with one of those trailers that had about a 4' wall around it... empty. The turbulence was awful, so when I finally got a good view and the double yellow went away, I passed at 85 in 5th. When I downshifted to 4th, I s-h-o-t to 115 easily on a downhill section. I immediately got some screaming voice in my intercom, so tapped it off and slowed down (I HATE celibacy)! The handling was perfect, btw, and the windshield was all the way up.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 100+

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How fast can your Guardian Angel fly??
    This isn't an important topic...
    Spoken like a true insurance guy .
    I once had my corvette at 125 blew a front tire and lived to write this. Never needed the speed after that.

Spyder Garage

My RT will go fast enough to keep ahead of traffic, okay by me. That said, there is a section of I-69 just east of Lapeer that has no exits or entrances for about 5 miles. A friend's radar got a Ninja at 172 on that stretch, but I won't comment beyond that .

john

Spyder Garage

Default had mine up to

105 mph had my wing and bmw up to 130
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Speed

I have had my all the way up tp about 70. Have had 2 different Harleys to 105. One time a long time ago I drove a Studibaker Avanti to 130 and it was still coming on and I chickened out. Now in my old age I just don't drive or ride that fast anymore. Speed kills.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    Spoken like a true insurance guy .
    Yup; it kind of gets ingrained into your way of thinking...

Although when I get my 1330; it'll be fun to wonder just how fast I WON'T be going on it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black