Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default A Chicken/Egg Question

Did you get your Spyder, then get your trike endorsement or get your endorsement, then the Spyder?

Am I assuming right that I'll need my endorsement to get insured--which affects financing.

If I can get this figured out I'm getting one. I'm doing a boundary ride in August and would love to do it on a yellow Spyder.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kyledye View Post
    Did you get your Spyder, then get your trike endorsement or get your endorsement, then the Spyder?

Am I assuming right that I'll need my endorsement to get insured--which affects financing.

If I can get this figured out I'm getting one. I'm doing a boundary ride in August and would love to do it on a yellow Spyder.
    1. check with License Bureau to see what test they have for motorcycles, trikes, etc.
    2. Spyder is not a trike.. Tell insurance that it is a brp Can AM RS roadster, I do believe, for the best rate.
    3. Then go buy... Dealers I know of would not let people ride the new purchase off lot unless they had an endorsement. Trailer ok ... ride no.

Spyder Garage

If you don't have a physical limitation that precludes you from riding a motorcycle, I recommend going to take the MSF course. Many states allow this to take the place of the riding test. You'll also have the flexibility of a regular motorcycle endorsement, rather than the three wheel specific endorsement.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Spyder Garage

Some states, such as California, do not require a motorcycle endorsement for a three wheel bikes. Take the motorcycle safety course because there is a lot to learn there that is applicable.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Everything varies by state and is subject to change at any time. It's best just to get a motorcycle endorsement via MSF, then you don't have to worry about any changes down the road.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjp623 View Post
    Everything varies by state and is subject to change at any time. It's best just to get a motorcycle endorsement via MSF, then you don't have to worry about any changes down the road.
    I have a motorcycle endorsement through MSF and ride a 2008 FRJ1300; however, in Washington state you have to have a trike license for the Spyder. If I take a trike course through MSF, do I supply the trike?
    Washington state is really making this a pain in the a$$ to do. But then, that would be Washington state, right?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default This might help,people that are going through

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Best help yet. Thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm from Washington state and to the state, the Spyder is a Tryke and requires a special license. I got my permit first by taking the written test and that's good for 90 days and then you must take the skill test or take everything all over again. With the permit, you can't have a passenger or ride after dark. I rode mine back from Las Vegas with the permit and then took the skill test about a month after I got back. Aced the test with a 100 % score. Really much easier with the Spyder than a standard tryke, ridden both so I know about that. When you pass the test, instead of a 3 for motorcycle, you now have a 7 for m/c and tryke. You're right about it being a pain in the you know what but that's Wa. State and their greed for more money. Just think of it this way, you're legal in every state then so no worries there. Also in Wa. state, it's not a requirement to carry insurance unless you're financing the Spyder, and that's a requirement by the finance company. I carry insurance just for the peace of mind in case something would happen and has already paid off for me. I got rear ended at a traffic light by someone that was having a stroke at the moment and did about 2 grand worth of damage. His insurance company denied the claim due to an act of God. My insurance stepped in and covered everything and are now in the process of going after his insurance co. for the damages. So worked out well for me, not so well for the other person. Been told by a officer that if you ryde without the endorsement, you could be fined as much as $400.00 and your bike impounded which would cost you more to get out, so get the endorsement and avoid all the hassles. Hope this has helped..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rider2554 View Post
    I'm from Washington state and to the state, the Spyder is a Tryke and requires a special license. I got my permit first by taking the written test and that's good for 90 days and then you must take the skill test or take everything all over again. With the permit, you can't have a passenger or ride after dark. I rode mine back from Las Vegas with the permit and then took the skill test about a month after I got back. Aced the test with a 100 % score. Really much easier with the Spyder than a standard tryke, ridden both so I know about that. When you pass the test, instead of a 3 for motorcycle, you now have a 7 for m/c and tryke. You're right about it being a pain in the you know what but that's Wa. State and their greed for more money. Just think of it this way, you're legal in every state then so no worries there. Also in Wa. state, it's not a requirement to carry insurance unless you're financing the Spyder, and that's a requirement by the finance company. I carry insurance just for the peace of mind in case something would happen and has already paid off for me. I got rear ended at a traffic light by someone that was having a stroke at the moment and did about 2 grand worth of damage. His insurance company denied the claim due to an act of God. My insurance stepped in and covered everything and are now in the process of going after his insurance co. for the damages. So worked out well for me, not so well for the other person. Been told by a officer that if you ryde without the endorsement, you could be fined as much as $400.00 and your bike impounded which would cost you more to get out, so get the endorsement and avoid all the hassles. Hope this has helped..

Great info.... Additionally, if you do not have a MC Endorsement the number is a 5 on the license for the Trike instead of the 7...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

I bought my spyder and insurance right at the dealer without an endorsement here in Az. I then got a permit for mc and practiced around my neighborhood.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Default Nevada is confusing too!

Washington state cannot be any worse the the indecisive "idjits" in Nevada (with apologies to said "idjits" in Nevada). Poof! It's a trike! Poof! It's a motorcycle! Poof! We don't have a frakkin' clue what it is!

We decided to cut out the voices in our heads and take the 2-wheel motorcycle safety class and get the pretty "M" on our licenses. Now the regulatory powers-that-be can Poof!, go away. As mentioned before in these threads, once the legislature decides they can obtain revenue from classifying Spyders as motorcycles, that's the direction things may move.
    "No mud, No Lotus"

2009 SM5. Perfectly stock.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The dealership let me leave on mine w/o having my "trike endorsement" even though the state requires it. I have my motorcycle endorsement but went to the D.O.L. and took the trike/sidecar test and received my permit which only allows me to drive during the day with no passengers. I have to now go back and take a riding test on my Spyder. The state of WA REALLY needs to make an exception for the Spyder being considered a "trike". NONE of the trike/sidecar endorsement test pertains to actually riding a Spyder let alone having to learn the "sidecar" rules/laws. I hate the hoops I have to jump through for this state.

Spyder Garage

I just went and took my written test got the spyder and then went back and took the skills test. your permit is good for 90 days and you can renew once. The trike test is very easy on the spyder if you cant pass it you have no reason to even have a drivers license.
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Spyder Garage

I got my Spyder 1st, rode it for over a year with only a 2wheel endorsement b4 eventually getting the class7 needed for Washington State. In Washington State MC insurance is not mandatory, personal choice. But it was possible to get insurance for it only having the MC endorsement.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneSpyderRyder View Post
    The dealership let me leave on mine w/o having my "trike endorsement" even though the state requires it. I have my motorcycle endorsement but went to the D.O.L. and took the trike/sidecar test and received my permit which only allows me to drive during the day with no passengers. I have to now go back and take a riding test on my Spyder. The state of WA REALLY needs to make an exception for the Spyder being considered a "trike". NONE of the trike/sidecar endorsement test pertains to actually riding a Spyder let alone having to learn the "sidecar" rules/laws. I hate the hoops I have to jump through for this state.

Just to clear this up just a little.... Your frustration is very valid. To a point.

For an FYI.... Your local AMA and a few other Washington specific associations... Fought HARD to get the Trike to be it's own, not like an auto, not a motorcycle.

That failed, and succeeded.

What do we call the Harley's or other trikes that have the two wheels in the back? Or the three wheeled and four wheeled sidecars? Way to much room for confusion. Think of the potential tickets and having to prove we have the right license if all three became different.

Because they lost... they WON the main fight which was to make all the money that is generated by the Trike program go right back to the Trikes program. Not for potholes or wallets. Or other garbage like we are used to.

There is a lot of information on this. I am not the know it all of this subject by any means... But I voiced my disliking of the program by calling it yet another way for the state to take money from me.

I was wrong.

This program is one of the few in this state, from any branch, that gets to keep all the money generated.

This money subsidized the training classes that we all can take. And are fantastic.

The 2.5 day class cost $250... The state pays for $125 of it...

I for one am dang proud our Motorcycle associations are fighting for our right. Even before I knew we needed them.

Personally, I think these Spyders are cars with a Handlebar and no paneling. . But then if that was the case.... Insurance is mandatory.

SO think of it like this...

Be happy they won and we have to get a Trike license...

Or be one that would have to pass the 6' track Motorcycle test (Vs. 8' for the Trike) and know that MANY folks would not pass that these bikes attracted. Then there is less of a market and maybe no life in the product past a few years (Think DeLorean).

Or they could have won it not being a motorcycle, but lost the fight to not call it a car. Then we are forced to pay for Car insurance and licensing fees for the new Liter tax. Then the fun would begin! Not many Insurance companies in Washington state recognizes anything with no steering wheel or less than four tires on the ground as a car.

For me... They kicked butt for us and we need to do a little research on our own to decide if that is correct or not. I am not here trying to bend anyone's thinking. I am just trying to inform you and others that the picture was almost FAR worse and thousands of fellow two wheeled ryders saved us from Bureaucratic hell.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just to add my two cents. I'm not sure where the money is that IWN2RYD is at. I have been trying for two months to get into one of the subsidized ($125) class through the Evergreen Safety Council without having to drive to Yakima or eastern WA. They are the only one in WA that offers the sidecar/trike courses. I was told that the state cut funding for the program, so they are not able to offer the reduced price classes very often. I check back every week, but so far no luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grnbear View Post
    Just to add my two cents. I'm not sure where the money is that IWN2RYD is at. I have been trying for two months to get into one of the subsidized ($125) class through the Evergreen Safety Council without having to drive to Yakima or eastern WA. They are the only one in WA that offers the sidecar/trike courses. I was told that the state cut funding for the program, so they are not able to offer the reduced price classes very often. I check back every week, but so far no luck.

I got to know one of the "Founding " Members... They are booked out about 60 days now... We could have waited till Aug.. But decided to pay full price. And that was a good decision. It is well worth the $250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Just to clear this up just a little.... Your frustration is very valid. To a point.

For an FYI.... Your local AMA and a few other Washington specific associations... Fought HARD to get the Trike to be it's own, not like an auto, not a motorcycle.

That failed, and succeeded.

What do we call the Harley's or other trikes that have the two wheels in the back? Or the three wheeled and four wheeled sidecars? Way to much room for confusion. Think of the potential tickets and having to prove we have the right license if all three became different.

Because they lost... they WON the main fight which was to make all the money that is generated by the Trike program go right back to the Trikes program. Not for potholes or wallets. Or other garbage like we are used to.

There is a lot of information on this. I am not the know it all of this subject by any means... But I voiced my disliking of the program by calling it yet another way for the state to take money from me.

I was wrong.

This program is one of the few in this state, from any branch, that gets to keep all the money generated.

This money subsidized the training classes that we all can take. And are fantastic.

The 2.5 day class cost $250... The state pays for $125 of it...

I for one am dang proud our Motorcycle associations are fighting for our right. Even before I knew we needed them.

Personally, I think these Spyders are cars with a Handlebar and no paneling. . But then if that was the case.... Insurance is mandatory.

SO think of it like this...

Be happy they won and we have to get a Trike license...

Or be one that would have to pass the 6' track Motorcycle test (Vs. 8' for the Trike) and know that MANY folks would not pass that these bikes attracted. Then there is less of a market and maybe no life in the product past a few years (Think DeLorean).

Or they could have won it not being a motorcycle, but lost the fight to not call it a car. Then we are forced to pay for Car insurance and licensing fees for the new Liter tax. Then the fun would begin! Not many Insurance companies in Washington state recognizes anything with no steering wheel or less than four tires on the ground as a car.

For me... They kicked butt for us and we need to do a little research on our own to decide if that is correct or not. I am not here trying to bend anyone's thinking. I am just trying to inform you and others that the picture was almost FAR worse and thousands of fellow two wheeled ryders saved us from Bureaucratic hell.
    All good points but one "Personally, I think these Spyders are cars with a Handlebar and no paneling". Come on! The only real difference is the third wheel.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    All good points but one "Personally, I think these Spyders are cars with a Handlebar and no paneling". Come on! The only real difference is the third wheel.
    yes but i think we are far better off to be tricycles, no insurance carpool lanes smaller fees
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue