Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP leather suit waterproof-ness?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether the BRP Spyder leather jacket and pants are waterproof and able to withstand the average showers?

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

From my experience, leather is water REPELLENT for a short time, even when treated with leather creams. I find that putting a set of Frog Toggs on before heading into questionable weather, makes for more enjoyable riding, rather than trying to dry out after getting soaked. Just my opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A-Spot View Post
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether the BRP Spyder leather jacket and pants are waterproof and able to withstand the average showers?
    To my knowledge... No leather is truly water proof. Even thought they claim them to be... As soon as we wear one, the "Treatment" they use to make the leather waterproof beyond it's natural abilities begins to break down...

However, the thicker "Biker" leather does take a fair amount before it reaches you, but will need to dry before giving you the same protection again...

We have to "Maintain" our leathers in order to stay dry in normal off and on showers.

Personally I have not yet gotten wet with my Spyder Jacket, but we have only been in a few showers... Not a few hour downpour on the roads...

That said... I have gotten wet in my waterproof TourMasters when I got caught in a gnarly downpour. The rain came down so hard and fast... @ 55 mph on the hwy it was hitting the dash, and a puddle collected between my legs and the tank . I only knew of the puddle because of the funny feeling I was getting, and we had only been on the road for about ten minutes...

Looked down and went.. WTH... Leaped up... Got plowed by the rain the windshield had been saving me from.. Went straight down my neck and arms...

This was about 6:00am one Sunday Morning. We had to drive in this weather... This was the last day of our training course, and they do not allow us to be one minute late or we are asked to leave with no refund (So they say). Otherwise we would have stayed nice and dry that particular morning

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    From my experience, leather is water REPELLENT for a short time, even when treated with leather creams. I find that putting a set of Frog Toggs on before heading into questionable weather, makes for more enjoyable riding, rather than trying to dry out after getting soaked. Just my opinion.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Ahhh ! Wet.....rain......nah......Yeah Liquid sunshie.

Spyder Garage

Default leather

Aerostitch has a suit that is the Bomb. All leather and completly waterproof.

Buck1234

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by buck1234 View Post
    Aerostitch has a suit that is the Bomb. All leather and completly waterproof.

Buck1234
    Which one might that be?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A-Spot View Post
    Which one might that be?
    Quick google found this.... (Link)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Quick google found this.... (Link)
    Yeah, I had a look at their page, and that's the suit I thought he mentioned. Just wanted to be sure