Invalid Emails
    Eastern Québec, Canada, Earth, Solar System
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT-S Clutch Recall - Review after the recall

Well,

I have about 2500 miles on my RT-S. In my opinion, it has run flawlessly since I got it, except for the 2nd to 1st stalling, which it had done a dozen times or so.

I got in touch with my dealer 3 weeks ago and had him order the parts. Since then, I also got a letter from BRP about the recall.

Today, my appointment was set for 0800 hours. (Keep in mind I am 2 hours away from my dealer).

A buddy of mine volunteered to come along for the ride on his HD. The weather forecast was rain, wind and thunderstorms....

So.... at 0530, I meet up with him and we head up the highway. No rain, but big dark clouds and 12C weather.

We make it to the dealer by 0800 without rain. We drop the RT-S off and go for coffee. After an hour, we go back to the dealer and look at some RT's, RS's and other bikes. I get very tempted to order a trailer..... but resist the urge.

At 1130, my RT-S is ready. The tech comes out after the test drive and says all is fine. I asked him if he's done a lot of these, he says: "3 per day for the last 4 weeks"!! The owner had the foresight of ordering dozens of replacement parts weeks before the recall.

By now, it still hasn't rained....

First few miles.... WOW!!! I obviously didn't know how bad my RT was shifting! I just assumed it was designed that way!

Shifts are now seamless! No hesitation or "humping" at all. It's shifts with a satisfying "snick" each time, almost instantly. The clutch doesn't slip or stick anymore so take offs in 1st gear are much more spirited. It doesn't feel like it needs to "wind up" to pick up speed.

Downshifts are seamless too. No more feel like I've hit the engine brake.

More power, better shifts and I think better fuel economy (which makes sense since the clutch isn't sticking/slipping).

I was so amazed I barely noticed the tidal waves of water that fell on us on the way back, the semi's that drenched me in places I didn't know could get wet or the fact that my poor buddy was utterly miserable on his 2-wheels at highway speeds while I hummed along to the stereo, perfectly stable and with perfect traction.....

Wow! Thanks to my dealer: www.loisellesports.com for another job well done.

V.
    Last edited by Vordak; 06-16-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Spyder Garage

it sounds like you also have a great dealer who looks after their customers. Glad to hear they were able to get you back on the road so quickly.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Agreed!

We've had no problems with the RS since the clutch replacement. Today I put the RS through the same grueling stop and go around town traffic that caused it to stall and act like it was possessed prior to the replacement . . . and today, it ran great just like a lil red spyder should

Cat
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Ditto...

I just got mine back yesterday, too. Seven weeks in the shop and now it just purrs! Can't believe the difference... it drives so smoothly now.

Granted, I only had 150 miles on it before it started stalling and creeping, but very "rough" miles! I didn't know how rough until now.

Now all I need is some of the "cooler" May ryding weather back!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had mine done on June 2nd along with the 600 mile service. It now runs great! Before the update, I had issues when I let it downshift automatically, or when I downshifted quickly. Now it's so smooth. The difference is amazing.

Took it up to Laconia on Tuesday and had absolutely no problems! Well, my right foot got a little hot. Oh well.

I did have to wait about a week for the parts to come in for the clutch fix.

I now have over 800 miles on her, and I love it!

Spyder Garage

great write up Vordak, how did you resist the urge for getting the trailer? I have to pick

my spyder up today for the 6000 mile check and might get the trailer.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vordak View Post
    The owner had the foresight of ordering dozens of replacement parts weeks before the recall. V.
    Question: how can a service manager/dealer owner order warranty replacement parts without a VIN and pre-inspection of the Spyder?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Eastern Québec, Canada, Earth, Solar System
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Question: how can a service manager/dealer owner order warranty replacement parts without a VIN and pre-inspection of the Spyder?
    He didn't. He ordered the parts separately, at his own cost, as soon as his techs figured out what was needed for the repair.

Having worked as a Parts Manager in the auto industry in the past, I can tell you that this is done all the time. Manufacturers can be slow to issue recalls, so good dealers will order needed parts piece by piece in expectation of the recall. They will front the money and then get reimbursed when the job is done.

That is the difference between a good dealer (premptive) and a bad one (reactive).

www.loisellesports.com is a VERY good dealer, which is why they are the biggest sellers of Can Am products in Eastern Canada, if not the entire country.

I am very glad I found them.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

He didn't. He ordered the parts separately, at his own cost, as soon as his techs figured out what was needed for the repair.

Having worked as a Parts Manager in the auto industry in the past, I can tell you that this is done all the time. Manufacturers can be slow to issue recalls, so good dealers will order needed parts piece by piece in expectation of the recall. They will front the money and then get reimbursed when the job is done.

That is the difference between a good dealer (premptive) and a bad one (reactive).

www.loisellesports.com is a VERY good dealer, which is why they are the biggest sellers of Can Am products in Eastern Canada, if not the entire country.

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

You should be very glad, as that is a very rare find indeed.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods