Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Hitch Wiring

I am going to get the hitch put on at the dealer next week. Going to get a trailer from a trailer dealer. Need help on the wiring.

How hard is it to wire up the trailer. Going from the round plug to the flat plug?

Has anybody done it yet? Just not wanting to pay the amount that canam is wanting for there trailer.

Thanks
    Mowerman.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Same question here for the BIL (brother-in-law).

He just got a 2010 Spyder touring, he has a trailer with a 4 wire plug. He said his spyder touring has a 7 wire plug. How do you convert it to 4 wires?

He wants to pull his existing trailer has no desire to drop 4 grand on Can Ams trailer. He already had the dealer put a hitch and wire it for a trailer but as staged above it has a 7 wire connector and his trailer has the standard 4 wire.

Spyder Garage

You are going to have to build an adapter from the trailer to the Spyder, or change out the trailer plug to a matching connector. The easiest way to do this is to buy a BRP trailer tongue harness (P/N 710002029), but it is expensive. The tongue harness can be used to make an adapter, or wired directly to your trailer. The Deutsch connectors are available, but they are hard to find. You must buy the connector body, terminals, and seals, if you go this route. Please note that the Spyder wiring has separate right and left brake light wiring, so you will just have to select one to use for the trailer brakes on a conventional trailer. If the trailer does not have separate turn signals (it will have a 4-wire connector usually), you will need a 3 wire to 2-wire trailer lighting converter.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I just wired my RT-S to go with a non BRP trailer. Pretty simple really. I just tapped into the wiring harness. It should be even easier for you. Identify the wires in the seven pin plug and tap the into the required wires. Run them to a plug of your choice and mount it on the tow bar. Hope this helps.
    Danny

2010 RT-S PE103 replacement
    Life maybe short, but death is longer. One day at a time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DeeKay53 View Post
    I just wired my RT-S to go with a non BRP trailer. Pretty simple really. I just tapped into the wiring harness. It should be even easier for you. Identify the wires in the seven pin plug and tap the into the required wires. Run them to a plug of your choice and mount it on the tow bar. Hope this helps.
    Please realize when you do this that you are defeating the powered aspect of the BRP trailer module, which powers your lights from a separate circuit. You will now be wired directrly to the lights. This should work...it has on the RS model, but if your trailer has clearance lights or multiple bulbs, and draws much power, it could overload the lighting circuit. Changing the trailer lights to LEDs would help, in that case. The separately powered trailer lights are a safety feature, too. If you lose the trailer lights due to a short circuit or wiring problem, your Spyder lights remain working.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Does anybody have a picture of the plug? My trailer guy is thinging he can use a round to flat plug. The ones that are now used for ford and dodge.

Also is there a diagram of the can am plug anywhere. Showing what each pin is for.

Looking for ideas.

Mowerman

Spyder Garage

Default Deutch plug

has anyone bought the Deutch plug? - I was told that it could cost $50-70 - I think that I have a source, but am not sure which item number to order.
    If that's the case, the harness would probably be the best solution.

Also, I looked at my trailer receptical and would swear that there are 9 pins in the connector - have they changed recently?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mowerman View Post
    Does anybody have a picture of the plug? My trailer guy is thinging he can use a round to flat plug. The ones that are now used for ford and dodge.

Also is there a diagram of the can am plug anywhere. Showing what each pin is for.

Looking for ideas.

Mowerman
    This is not a standard, round 6-pole or 7-pole trailer plug, so standard trailer adapters will not work.

Here is a pinout diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd2010RT View Post
    has anyone bought the Deutch plug? - I was told that it could cost $50-70 - I think that I have a source, but am not sure which item number to order.
    If that's the case, the harness would probably be the best solution.

Also, I looked at my trailer receptical and would swear that there are 9 pins in the connector - have they changed recently?
    There are nine pins, in a special pattern. The Spyder has the male terminals and the trailer the female terminals, even though it may not appear that way from the plastic connector. I don't know the cost, but one possible source is Terminal Supply Company. You need a Deutsch HD16-9-16S plug, nine of the socket terminals in the proper size for your wiring, seals for any unused sockets, and probably the appropriate, special crimping tool. You may also want a removal tool of the correct size, in case of a mistake. You will also need to rig a means of sealing the rear of the plug where the wires enter, and will probably want to rig some kind of stress relief to prevent the wires from pulling loose. I belive the trailer tongue harness lists for $99.99
    Last edited by NancysToy; 06-15-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty for the wirring diagram of the plug. That is all I need. The Spyder is already wired for the trailer and the B-I-L has both Spyder and trailer ends, just need to pick the wires from the trailer end plug and run into a 5 to 4 converter. Ill just run the 5 wires from the plug to the inside of the trailer and hook up the converter there. It will look OEM and be isolated.

Ken

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am going to get the hitch put on at the dealer next week. Going to get a trailer from a trailer dealer. Need help on the wiring.

How hard is it to wire up the trailer. Going from the round plug to the flat plug?

Has anybody done it yet? Just not wanting to pay the amount that canam is wanting for there trailer.

Thanks
    Mowerman.
    What kind of trailer are you getting?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone looking to pull a non-BRP trailer with a standard 4 wire, just tap into the wirring harness and hookup an isolated trailer harness. Then run that into a 5 to 4 converter. That way your trailer will be isolated and you can use you standard 4 wire plug already on the trailer.

Universal Isolated harness...

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...utm_medium=cse

5 to 4 converter...
    http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2...Racks%2Fdes%2F

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default wiring for trailer

This is the wiring from the RT to the trailer

I have a Lees-ure tent trailer. I bought the wire from can-am dealer and I installed a 5 pin plug for trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Having the same issue

Thanks
    Mowerman.
    I just traded my 2013 RT Limited in for a 2015; however the hitch on the new one uses a different connector and i had to get a new trailer tongue harness. There is no instruction on pin-out for the harness.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mjtibbits View Post
    I just traded my 2013 RT Limited in for a 2015; however the hitch on the new one uses a different connector and i had to get a new trailer tongue harness. There is no instruction on pin-out for the harness.
    I trust you realize you dug up a 5 year old thread? I suggest you start over with a new thread and be sure and give all the details about what you have and what you need to do. Trailer wiring connections have changed 3 or 4 times during the past 5 years so we need to be absolutely clear where you are with it, and where you need to go.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRL WIRING

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I trust you realize you dug up a 5 year old thread? I suggest you start over with a new thread and be sure and give all the details about what you have and what you need to do. Trailer wiring connections have changed 3 or 4 times during the past 5 years so we need to be absolutely clear where you are with it, and where you need to go.
    ............................... What worked for Ronsam 2010 isn't going to apply now.......Mike