Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Like to join Las Vegas chapter

Hi folks, I'm glad to see there's a Las Vegas chapter of SpyderLovers. I'm Mike W. My wife is Berta. We are interested in buying a Spyder RT. You may have seen my posts as 'Prospective Buyer' & 'Still thinking about it' on the main forum( I've also posted on SpyderTalk, although they don't seem as popular). We've never been on a bike & are not yet convinced it's right for us. As I've recently posted, I think I'm going to wait until the 2011 models come out to try to buy in hopes that some of the first year bugs have been worked out. It's also more difficult for a novice to deal with mechanical issues. I've got a few physical problems to deal with- bad back & arthritis to name a few- so I feel an RT is the best machine for me. We would be interested in paying the right person to teach us how to ride an RT & motorcycle safety. I know Harley & CSN have courses, but neither one of us want to get on a 2- wheeler. DMV said we could take the motorcycle test on the Spyder, so this would be great for us if one of you could teach us after we get our permits. We would be interested in getting together with some of you to discuss this. We're also interested in socializing with people our own speed & you don't strike us as being the Hell's Angels. We apparently need a lot of advise on this. My wife also needs a lot of convincing. Thanks for your help & let me know if this sounds reasonable.

Spyder Garage

Default State of Nevada DMV oddities

Hi! I hope you decide to get the Spyder because it is the MOST fun you will ever have!

Nevada is an "odd duck" when it comes to the Spyder: Is it a trike? Is it a motorcycle? I can only relate our experience to you.

We live in Pahrump. When we registered the Spyder here they said, "3-wheels? It' a trike. No motorcycle license required; no helmet required." (BTW, we ALWAYS wear a helmet anyway). However, some of our LV compatriots indicated the DMV in LV registered theirs as a motorcycle and one has to have a motorcycle license, etc.

Long story short, we took the motorcycle safety course (on a 2-wheel bike provided by the school) and are now licensed motorcycle riders. When we were back at the Pahrump DMV last week to get our licenses, the clerk indicated they had just received direction that the Spyder is now a motorcycle. I don't know from where this decision came. She did indicate that one could take the DMV test on the Spyder and the clerk would follow in a car. Weird.

You may be able to skip the motorcycle safety course (although I recommend it even though not all of it applies to Spyder ryding). I believe, however, you can go to DMV without the course, take the test on the Spyder and go from there. I think DMV is still deciding what to do.

Good luck.
    "No mud, No Lotus"

2009 SM5. Perfectly stock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

welcome
    spyder is THE choice in three wheeling
    sure there are harley and goldwing trikes but they do not have the technology,handling nor the stability that spyder has and also more expensive.

spyder is so easy to ryde, people that have never ridden a motorcycle before come to brp demo event and get a 10 minute tutorial and 5 minute practice in the parking lot and off they go on their first ryde. of course they ryde the se5(no clutch). there was a 77 year old lady who never ridden a motorcycle before, got on a spyder and never looked back.

as far as ryders in vegas, well at least who came on our rydes goes, they are THE friendliest ryders i've ever seen and somewhat aged, WELL.
    i am 43 and i and i think i was the youngest. again, i think...

i would be happy to show the rope but can't do it if you talk about paying.

you can call me, ken at 213 675 6457.
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-14-2010 at 02:26 AM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

welcome
    with Ken. The Spyder is the ONLY way to go. I rode two wheelers 30 years ago and enjoyed it very much. However, it's 30 years later and while I thoroughly enjoy riding, I can do so without the worry of laying the bike down (I'm really not into pain). Along with the semi-automatic transmission, it's really easy to just enjoy the ryde. I ryde an RT because I want to be comfortable and the RT is very comfortable. I have some issues with my back and while I'm still in denial, I'm sure there's some of that arthritis stuff mixed in there as well.

A group of us were on a ryde Saturday and when it was all said and done, I had put 200 miles on. When I got home I wasn't tired or sore from the ryde. It was a blast and what made it even better was the fact that the folks we rode with were sooo much fun to be with. As Ken said, we are a little bit older than your typical bikers, (Ken being the youngster of the group) but I think that lends to the comfort factor. No one is trying to impress anyone and we're all here to have a good time; and we do.

If you would like to get together to discuss any concerns or issues you have about the Spyder, I would be more than happy to answer any questions I can and help you make your decision. And again as Ken said, we don't do this for money, we do it because we love ryding the Spyder and want anybody that's interested to have the best experience they can.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default "somewhat aged"???

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    welcome
    spyder is THE choice in three wheeling
    sure there are harley and goldwing trikes but they do not have the technology,handling nor the stability that spyder has and also more expensive.

spyder is so easy to ryde, people that have never ridden a motorcycle before come to brp demo event and get a 10 minute tutorial and 5 minute practice in the parking lot and off they go on their first ryde. of course they ryde the se5(no clutch). there was a 77 year old lady who never ridden a motorcycle before, got on a spyder and never looked back.

as far as ryders in vegas, well at least who came on our rydes goes, they are THE friendliest ryders i've ever seen and somewhat aged, WELL.
    i am 43 and i and i think i was the youngest. again, i think...

i would be happy to show the rope but can't do it if you talk about paying.

you can call me, ken at 213 675 6457.
    Ken,

When I finish whoopin' on you with my walker, you'll regret your choice of words...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ryder View Post
    Ken,

When I finish whoopin' on you with my walker, you'll regret your choice of words...
    feels good to switch to spyder from your motorized walker, doesn't it?

Spyder Garage

Hay ken This is magnum from California, Wanta try ans est up some rides from cali to vagas, if you still have my number give me a shout.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by magnum View Post
    Hay ken This is magnum from California, Wanta try ans est up some rides from cali to vagas, if you still have my number give me a shout.
    hey magnum, what did you have in mind?
    i've replaced my phone twice since than and lost a lot of numbers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Many Thanks

Hi, I would just like to thank everyone for their advice & encouragement in my quest for information. I'm sure it will weigh heavily in my decision. It's a comfort to know that there are others who share my goals & are willing to help. I look forward to meeting with you & getting a better feel for what I hope will be a great adventure. My wife needs a lot of convincing, so I'm hoping that meeting with you may help to sway her. I'm sure a ride with an experienced rider may go a long way in her mind. Let us know, please, when this might be possible. Thanks again. -Mike W.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bertmikew View Post
    Hi, I would just like to thank everyone for their advice & encouragement in my quest for information. I'm sure it will weigh heavily in my decision. It's a comfort to know that there are others who share my goals & are willing to help. I look forward to meeting with you & getting a better feel for what I hope will be a great adventure. My wife needs a lot of convincing, so I'm hoping that meeting with you may help to sway her. I'm sure a ride with an experienced rider may go a long way in her mind. Let us know, please, when this might be possible. Thanks again. -Mike W.
    i was thinking may be we can do a dinner ryde anyway so may be you guys can chime in on right dates good for you. i never liked ryding in the dark but i been doing some evening ryde lately and it feels goooood to get some cool wind in my face again.
    may be we could have dinner at that place in blue diamond around 6-6:30 so everyone can get home just as it's getting dark or recommend any other good place to eat. i only pick that place so it would be almost a halfway point of vegas and pahrump, sort of.
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-17-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Offer for meeting

Hi, thanks for the offer to meet in Blue Diamond. It sounds like a good idea. My wife is training to show 2 horses in the Utah Summer Olympics on 6/26. We can arrange something after that. -Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bertmikew View Post
    Hi, thanks for the offer to meet in Blue Diamond. It sounds like a good idea. My wife is training to show 2 horses in the Utah Summer Olympics on 6/26. We can arrange something after that. -Mike
    i think most are hibernating for the summer.
    i am taking my spyder in for service on thursday to proshop in henderson and if you'd like to meet me there i can answer some questions you or mrs. may have.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thursday

Thanks, Ken for the offer to meet me in Henderson on Thursday. It is close to my job. However, I have a doctor's appointment that afternoon & cannot make it. Maybe some other time. -Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Still looking for some help?

Happy to help in any way. My wife and I love the bike. Let me know if you are still looking to meet up with another Spyder rider.

Spyder Garage

Just dropped off my RT for its 600 mile check. The wife and I are planning a big trip in June. At present it will be around 2000 miles, 4 states, maybe 5, in 8 or 9 days. Would like to know if there are any planned rides in the Vegas area. Would like to make some if there are. Thanks