Spyder Garage

Default I found some nice 2 wheels but.....

So I went to a dealer today because I was thinking that I can keep my AND like others suggested, find a cheap two wheeler. Well I found one. I like it! BUT the thing is, sure I'll have two wheels but right now probably not the best idea financially, even if it is cheap. I thought about it yesterday when I was ryding home from work on my . My trunk always has a full face helmet and odds and ends in there. My cortech bag on the back holds my rain gear, mesh jacket and other odds and ends. Rarely does anything ever leave - I always have all that stuff. So I leave work, walk out to my Spyder with my big pocketbook and laptop and easily put them into the trunk.

Rode home in rush hour traffic, no worries, even with idiots out on the road cuz I am stable and have everything I need while ryding.

Get home, pull in the garage, take my laptop and pocketbook out - done.

But I went to a dealer and found this - 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 - fit me perfectly although it a much smaller motor than I am used to but I liked it - figure it's good for around town and stuff. 5K miles on it but they want $3500 and I see on KBB and NADA it's worth $2700. Tried to talk the dealer down but didn't do a very good job. After seeing it online at KBB and NADA, not sure if it's worth $3500. No doo dads except for Hard Chrome pipes and some special grips, that's it.

Anyway, If I had $3500 just floating around uselessly, I'd go for it. But I don't. That money could be spent on a new fridge once ours breaks (it's very old) or unexpected bills. I don't know. It would be fun but WHY, I've already got a powerful ryde, plenty of storage space. I just miss the lean factor. Maybe someday but I guess now is not the time. But I have decided I don't wanna trade the Spyder in. I want a Spyder AND a two wheeler.

Here's what I looked at today.... only thing, yammie clutches suck - you don't move until the clutch is almost all the way out - at least w/ the V Stars....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Know what you mean about missing the lean factor, but if it makes you feel any better about it, here's my evolving thinking. When I got my Spyder I really thought of it more as a "toy" that I'd add to our collection of 9 two wheelers...something I'd ride a bit to get out of my system and for the novelty but didn't ever expect it to replace my two wheelin' love - or any two wheeled bikes in the garage. I got my Spyder in Oct. 2008.

Even this June when I left with the guys to ride Route 66 I still saw the Spyder as a "supplement" to my "REAL" rides - the two wheelers. But I had such a great time on the Spyder - no worries about bad pavements (and we rode a bunch of those!), no worries about stopping on hills, U-turns, getting the bike backed our of parking spaces, etc. PLUS I had a great ride. It was comfortable, worry free and carried everything I needed for a week on the road. But as I came home I still had that mental attitude that I would always want at least one two wheeler for when I wanted to lean.

Last week I had the opportunity to take the Spyder out on a seriously twisty, hilly road for a really hard but good ride - actually the first hard riding (going 50/60 mile an hour on roads posted for 25/30 curves) and road that way for over an hour. Suddenly I think I could be totally happy ALL the time with just a Spyder. With the experience I've gained riding it this past year I think I can hold my own with any of the sports bike riders in our area that I go out with - from 22 years old to 70 years old. Plus I never have that nagging worry in the back of my mind of where we're going to end up - at a restaurant with fist sized gravel with a parking lot that's hilly and rough...or down a dirt or gravel road so narrow that even a u-turn isn't possible not to mention all those other slow speed u-turns that make your stomach tighten up. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though you still think you miss having a two wheeler, I'm willing to bet that if you get one back in the garage, that 90% of the time you are still going to want the comfort, convenience and ease of riding that the Spyder gives you over any 2 wheeler.

Just my current mind set but I find myself thinking these days that if I had to get down to just one ride it would be the Spyder living in the garage at the end of the day. Maybe this will help you wish for a new fridge more than a new two wheel ride .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiJane View Post
    Know what you mean about missing the lean factor, but if it makes you feel any better about it, here's my evolving thinking. ...90% of the time you are still going to want the comfort, convenience and ease of riding that the Spyder gives you ...
    Just my current mind set but I find myself thinking these days that if I had to get down to just one ride it would be the Spyder living in the garage at the end of the day. Maybe this will help you wish for a new fridge more than a new two wheel ride .
    I absolutely agree with GeminiJane.

If you can afford a full stable of motorcycles (or fifty guns!) that's great.

But I think about how I came around to my father's similar way of thinking regarding cars.

Standard transmission and manual steering gives you great control in weather, you can push or roll start the vehicle, and is more fun.

Unless you commute in bumper-to-bumper traffic every day in and out of Manhattan for decades.

Then, along comes these inventions called automatic transmission and power steering and you get real spoiled.

I wrote here that two years ago when I went to Bike Night down in Adams, MA and my daughter and I pulled in with our (at that time) fairly new Spyder and parked next to all the Harley's, Indians, and BMW's.

Of course, I did a J-turn, threw the Spyder in reverse, and backed to the curb.

One of the "staff" limped over (his leg mangled in a motorcycle crash, incidentally) yelling at us

"BULLs**t! That's bulls**t! You have REVERSE on that thing?! That's just bulls**t!!"

I took off my helmet, smiled, and replied

"No, it's not. At my age, I deserve to have air conditioning in my house, power steering in my truck, AND REVERSE GEAR ON MY MOTORCYCLE!"

Then another Bike Night "staff" member came over and kept looking over our ride and walking around the Spyder as we dismounted, saying, "Nope. Nope. I just can't see myself on one of these. Nope. I just can't see myself on one of these..."

And my delicate little flower of a daughter replied to the 250 pound biker.

"Then stop looking at it."

I agree with GeminiJane. If you can afford to keep 4-wheelers, 3-wheelers, 2-wheelers--heck, 5-wheelers and 1-wheelers in your garage--awesome.

For now, for me, with bills to pay, guns to buy, and my credit card maxxed, I'm spoiled by my Spyder.

But, hey, what do I know. I'm just an ass.

("Average Senile Spyderryder")

Spyder Garage

Smile

Forget the two wheeler and get a really cool fridge you know the ones that have a tv in them or a radio and you could add your own farkles to it like a gps or have HDX add some handle bars to it. Ok just being silly but i know what you mean about missing the lean and i get that urge too but when i think about the advantage i have on them 2 wheelers i feel better. This way i also feel better by saying no to you it justifies the no i tell myself.

Roger

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2 wheeler. We are getting a second spyder but until then I wanted something to ryde with my wife on. Found a 1983 V45 magna Honda for $1090.00 in excellent condition on craigs list in Vegas. Only 85 horsepower but it will do till we get the second. I didnt think I would ever get on a 2-wheeler again but oh well, one has to do what he has to do.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jane - yup - your post made me feel much better! Like you said, when we ride it's all twisty roads, we ride pretty fast and many of our pit stops are steep hills and sometimes fist size gravel. We were at a place a couple of weeks ago where I've ridden my Harley. To get in there, it's a driveway with broken pavement, ruts from tree roots and a bit of a downhill slope. To get out, it's gravel, hilly and more ruts. I had NO problem. One couple that rode with us - he almost dropped his bike, w/ her on the back. So yeah, thinking about it that way, the two wheeler would probably not be ridden on rides like these and it's basically the only kind of riding we do. I was thinking of a quick work commuter back and forth but it only takes me 10 minutes to get to work so that would be foolish. Thanks for your post - makes me feel better!

BUT if for some reason I win the lottery, I will have a two wheeler for that 10 minute commute LOL!

Know what you mean about missing the lean factor, but if it makes you feel any better about it, here's my evolving thinking. When I got my Spyder I really thought of it more as a "toy" that I'd add to our collection of 9 two wheelers...something I'd ride a bit to get out of my system and for the novelty but didn't ever expect it to replace my two wheelin' love - or any two wheeled bikes in the garage. I got my Spyder in Oct. 2008.

Even this June when I left with the guys to ride Route 66 I still saw the Spyder as a "supplement" to my "REAL" rides - the two wheelers. But I had such a great time on the Spyder - no worries about bad pavements (and we rode a bunch of those!), no worries about stopping on hills, U-turns, getting the bike backed our of parking spaces, etc. PLUS I had a great ride. It was comfortable, worry free and carried everything I needed for a week on the road. But as I came home I still had that mental attitude that I would always want at least one two wheeler for when I wanted to lean.

Last week I had the opportunity to take the Spyder out on a seriously twisty, hilly road for a really hard but good ride - actually the first hard riding (going 50/60 mile an hour on roads posted for 25/30 curves) and road that way for over an hour. Suddenly I think I could be totally happy ALL the time with just a Spyder. With the experience I've gained riding it this past year I think I can hold my own with any of the sports bike riders in our area that I go out with - from 22 years old to 70 years old. Plus I never have that nagging worry in the back of my mind of where we're going to end up - at a restaurant with fist sized gravel with a parking lot that's hilly and rough...or down a dirt or gravel road so narrow that even a u-turn isn't possible not to mention all those other slow speed u-turns that make your stomach tighten up. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though you still think you miss having a two wheeler, I'm willing to bet that if you get one back in the garage, that 90% of the time you are still going to want the comfort, convenience and ease of riding that the Spyder gives you over any 2 wheeler.

Spyder Garage

I love what your daughter said! Don't tell me about guns.... there are more good ones coming out that I want. HDX is drooling over a couple now too. Can't have too many guns - very important! If you ever want to come for a visit, we can go to Hoffman's Gun Center - they got the best prices in the state. It's like a gun mega mall! It's huge....

www.hoffgun.com "Guns for the Good Guys"

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    I absolutely agree with GeminiJane.

If you can afford a full stable of motorcycles (or fifty guns!) that's great.

But I think about how I came around to my father's similar way of thinking regarding cars.

Standard transmission and manual steering gives you great control in weather, you can push or roll start the vehicle, and is more fun.

Unless you commute in bumper-to-bumper traffic every day in and out of Manhattan for decades.

Then, along comes these inventions called automatic transmission and power steering and you get real spoiled.

I wrote here that two years ago when I went to Bike Night down in Adams, MA and my daughter and I pulled in with our (at that time) fairly new Spyder and parked next to all the Harley's, Indians, and BMW's.

Of course, I did a J-turn, threw the Spyder in reverse, and backed to the curb.

One of the "staff" limped over (his leg mangled in a motorcycle crash, incidentally) yelling at us

"BULLs**t! That's bulls**t! You have REVERSE on that thing?! That's just bulls**t!!"

I took off my helmet, smiled, and replied

"No, it's not. At my age, I deserve to have air conditioning in my house, power steering in my truck, AND REVERSE GEAR ON MY MOTORCYCLE!"

Then another Bike Night "staff" member came over and kept looking over our ride and walking around the Spyder as we dismounted, saying, "Nope. Nope. I just can't see myself on one of these. Nope. I just can't see myself on one of these..."

And my delicate little flower of a daughter replied to the 250 pound biker.

"Then stop looking at it."

I agree with GeminiJane. If you can afford to keep 4-wheelers, 3-wheelers, 2-wheelers--heck, 5-wheelers and 1-wheelers in your garage--awesome.

For now, for me, with bills to pay, guns to buy, and my credit card maxxed, I'm spoiled by my Spyder.

But, hey, what do I know. I'm just an ass.

("Average Senile Spyderryder")

Spyder Garage

A farkled up fridge would be most excellent! You are freakin funny.
    It would have to come with it's own beer dispenser.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Forget the two wheeler and get a really cool fridge you know the ones that have a tv in them or a radio and you could add your own farkles to it like a gps or have HDX add some handle bars to it. Ok just being silly but i know what you mean about missing the lean and i get that urge too but when i think about the advantage i have on them 2 wheelers i feel better. This way i also feel better by saying no to you it justifies the no i tell myself.

Spyder Garage

Wow that's a great price! How many miles on it? I was looking thru Craigs List but haven't found anything yet. Maybe buying thru a dealer, that is why the price gets higher.

Quote Originally Posted by sandrunr1 View Post
    I bought a 2 wheeler. We are getting a second spyder but until then I wanted something to ryde with my wife on. Found a 1983 V45 magna Honda for $1090.00 in excellent condition on craigs list in Vegas. Only 85 horsepower but it will do till we get the second. I didnt think I would ever get on a 2-wheeler again but oh well, one has to do what he has to do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    A farkled up fridge would be most excellent! You are freakin funny.
    It would have to come with it's own beer dispenser.
    That's the ticket! A new fridge w/ farkles- handlebars, a holster and a beer dispenser! After a few cold ones the lean factor will be in full force!

PS: Great posts GeminiJane and Jeuchler!
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

21,000 miles and all works. He had just completely serviced it. Was selling it because a Nephew was coming home from Iraq and he wanted to used the money to help his brother buy a car for war hero. He also had many dirt bikes so I figured he may know how to treat bikes. I found when looking on Craigs list that sometimes its best not to look in your area but in a few others. Good luck and yes, I found a 1984 honda sabre, almost the same bike at a dealer for $1995 and it had side panels missing. Good luck on your hunt.

Spyder Garage

But I went to a dealer and found this - 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 - fit me perfectly although it a much smaller motor than I am used to but I liked it - figure it's good for around town and stuff. 5K miles on it but they want $3500 and I see on KBB and NADA it's worth $2700. Tried to talk the dealer down but didn't do a very good job. After seeing it online at KBB and NADA, not sure if it's worth $3500. No doo dads except for Hard Chrome pipes and some special grips, that's it.

Anyway, If I had $3500 just floating around uselessly, I'd go for it. But I don't. That money could be spent on a new fridge once ours breaks (it's very old) or unexpected bills. I don't know. It would be fun but WHY, I've already got a powerful ryde, plenty of storage space. I just miss the lean factor. Maybe someday but I guess now is not the time. But I have decided I don't wanna trade the Spyder in. I want a Spyder AND a two wheeler.

Here's what I looked at today.... only thing, yammie clutches suck - you don't move until the clutch is almost all the way out - at least w/ the V Stars....

Kim, the price does seem a little high, as my son bought the same bike, (mint condition) for $3000 last year and that was a good deal. These are bullet proof bikes and the 650 is a very easy ride. The clutch is an adjustment to be made to your liking, but the dealers do seem to have it out there. I have an 1100 Vstar Classic with just a little heavier feel than the 650, but both with a very low seat height. I bought mine in 05 new and both of us have had zero problems. If you go that route you will be happy I'm sure and then you can join the spyder/vstar families.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

I had to sell my '02 V-Star 1100 custom to be able to afford the Spyder. Absolutely no regrets, but I would have preferred to keep them both. I bought the Star new, and in 15k never had any trouble with it. A great line of bikes.
    Happy Former-Spyder owner!
    2008 SM5 PE# 3518 / Intense Blue Pearl (sold 2014)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post
    That's the ticket! A new fridge w/ farkles- handlebars, a holster and a beer dispenser! After a few cold ones the lean factor will be in full force!

PS: Great posts GeminiJane and Jeuchler!

Spyder Garage

It's a really nice lookin bike - I sat on a brand spankin new white one with red graphics - it was gorgeous! Did your clutch pull out all the way before it got moving?

Quote Originally Posted by 3tracs View Post
    I had to sell my '02 V-Star 1100 custom to be able to afford the Spyder. Absolutely no regrets, but I would have preferred to keep them both. I bought the Star new, and in 15k never had any trouble with it. A great line of bikes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2 wheels

I am new to the forum and new to Spyders having mine only 4 months now after 30 or so years riding on two wheels. The last 10 were spent on a Harley Ultra, so it was quite a change to the Spyder. Due to a medical problem related to my diabetic condition, I could no longer hold up 2 wheels.

I know the feeling of leaning. I am still the Activities Director of the local HOG chapter here in West Palm Beach. I have known these guys for so long they make an exception for me and my Spyder. It's quite a sight to see 20 or so loud Harleys and my little red Spyder bringing up the rear. But back to leaning, today we took a twisty road. They were all leaning and then there was me. But you know what? We had to stop for a bridge on a steep incline and I had no problem. Then it started to rain and we pulled into the restaurant and the bike parking was on pavers. You know how slippery they are when wet. No problem with my Spyder.

Back to 2 wheels, If you can afford a second bike great. For me I have the fridge problem plus balding tires on the car. No extra $$$ laying around the house.

So for me, the leaning was part of my past. My present and future is my little red Spyder affectionately named Betty. Betty and I tour the back roads of Florida and answer all the questions from people when we stop for gas or food. "how fast will it go".

Jim

Spyder Garage

It's a really nice lookin bike - I sat on a brand spankin new white one with red graphics - it was gorgeous! Did your clutch pull out all the way before it got moving?
    There's an internal adjustment as well as a cable adjustment. Just tell the dealer you have small hands and you would like the friction zone to be closer to the grips. Hubby could also do this.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Was gonna call him tomorrow and offer him $2800 - deal or no deal. Since he is a dealer, I am positive he will say NO DEAL.

KBB and NADA say for that year up to $2700 but it doesn't say w/ how many miles. This one has 5400. Doubt I'll get it but I've got nothing to lose by asking him. If I were to get one, Front fender comes off, tank and rear fender get flat black paint. Pipes wrapped in black tape and I'll black out anything else I possibly can. Red cables would be nice.

But I'm dreaming - hopefully some day.

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Kim, the price does seem a little high, as my son bought the same bike, (mint condition) for $3000 last year and that was a good deal. These are bullet proof bikes and the 650 is a very easy ride. The clutch is an adjustment to be made to your liking, but the dealers do seem to have it out there. I have an 1100 Vstar Classic with just a little heavier feel than the 650, but both with a very low seat height. I bought mine in 05 new and both of us have had zero problems. If you go that route you will be happy I'm sure and then you can join the spyder/vstar families.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jim! Yeah, my car needs new tires too POS tires they are - there's a class action lawsuit going because of the tread wore too quicly. I could get some help towards the tires but I didn't even file w/ the lawsuit yet. Who knows w/ those things.

So yeah, I know what you mean about bills to pay. I got sh*t I don't even want to pay for anymore. Good decision at the time but now I don't want it (camper). But stuck w/ it for now.

I need a second job w/ all the cr@p I want!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I am new to the forum and new to Spyders having mine only 4 months now after 30 or so years riding on two wheels. The last 10 were spent on a Harley Ultra, so it was quite a change to the Spyder. Due to a medical problem related to my diabetic condition, I could no longer hold up 2 wheels.

I know the feeling of leaning. I am still the Activities Director of the local HOG chapter here in West Palm Beach. I have known these guys for so long they make an exception for me and my Spyder. It's quite a sight to see 20 or so loud Harleys and my little red Spyder bringing up the rear. But back to leaning, today we took a twisty road. They were all leaning and then there was me. But you know what? We had to stop for a bridge on a steep incline and I had no problem. Then it started to rain and we pulled into the restaurant and the bike parking was on pavers. You know how slippery they are when wet. No problem with my Spyder.

Back to 2 wheels, If you can afford a second bike great. For me I have the fridge problem plus balding tires on the car. No extra $$$ laying around the house.

So for me, the leaning was part of my past. My present and future is my little red Spyder affectionately named Betty. Betty and I tour the back roads of Florida and answer all the questions from people when we stop for gas or food. "how fast will it go".

Jim

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Can't get a second job - then you'd never have time to enjoy the toys. Retirement is the answer - my husband retired at 60 but it looked like so much fun that a year later (I was 47 at the time) I sold my business and retired, too. Now I wouldn't have time to go back to work - having too much fun!

Spyder Garage

Default I may as well jump in too.

Alright, I may as well jump into this conversation too.
    Please excuse me if I am thread stealing. The way I look at the spyder is this. Anytime I am on it, I am constantly leaning on it. Not to turn but to turn faster. I really enjoy it. It is an extremely interactive machine and the stability of it is great. I'm leaning on the spyder but for a different reasons.
    As far as another bike is concerned, I want to buy one; Even if i keep the spyder, my reasoning for purchasing a two wheeler is so the next time my spyder is in the shop for the next time for 3 months!! I will still have something to ride! Smylin, u may want to wait until this fall for 2-wheels. Right now, everyone wants a bike, it's that time of year. Wait for the better pricing when this fall/winter comes back.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

My dad was done at 56 - and he's going on 80 now. He used to have fun but now I think he just drinks and swears at the TV but hey, he's not working which is a NICE thing!

They way I see it, make as much money as I possibly can right now but that's hard cuz I want ALOT of stuff RIGHT NOW.

Can't get a second job - then you'd never have time to enjoy the toys. Retirement is the answer - my husband retired at 60 but it looked like so much fun that a year later (I was 47 at the time) I sold my business and retired, too. Now I wouldn't have time to go back to work - having too much fun!

Spyder Garage

Ouch, 3 months is a LONG time w/out a ride and I can definitely see why you'd want another toy. I'd be the same way. Yep, gonna be some starving people in November but I've decided, do I really want this? Probably not. Almost pulled the trigger today. Really, how OFTEN would I ride it. It's just EASIER to get on the Spyder to go to work - throw my sh*t in the trunk and I am done. I envisioned myself riding 2 wheels to work. Not sure how I'd lug my laptop, purse, lunch. Then II would also have to bring a change of clothes cuz I dress up. I don't have to worry about any of that on a Spyder (well just don't wear a skirt that day). So gonna just stick with that and trick it out w/ some accessories. I swear I wasn't gonna dump any money into it but I really don't wanna turn it in and start all over again w/ another loan either. So might as well live a little, put some cool stuff on it and enjoy what I have.

Blacking out the wheels, ripping off the fenders, black tape on the pipe. I love the yellow but there's too much of it. It needs to be sinister.

Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    Alright, I may as well jump into this conversation too.
    Please excuse me if I am thread stealing. The way I look at the spyder is this. Anytime I am on it, I am constantly leaning on it. Not to turn but to turn faster. I really enjoy it. It is an extremely interactive machine and the stability of it is great. I'm leaning on the spyder but for a different reasons.
    As far as another bike is concerned, I want to buy one; Even if i keep the spyder, my reasoning for purchasing a two wheeler is so the next time my spyder is in the shop for the next time for 3 months!! I will still have something to ride! Smylin, u may want to wait until this fall for 2-wheels. Right now, everyone wants a bike, it's that time of year. Wait for the better pricing when this fall/winter comes back.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wink

At age 67, I purchased my yellow SE5. My first motorcycle ever! After a very nasty accident on a bicycle when I was 11 years old, with injuries that took six months to heal, I never had any real desire to ride a two-wheel motorcycle. Period.

Then, my lovely spouse of three years decided to take up riding again. This, after a 16-year hiatus. (With her late, other hubbie.) She purchased a Suzuki C50T...and I purchased my SE5. After some vacillating on my part...toying with getting a 2-wheeler...she told me to forget it. She's ridden both, and sez my Spyder is more fun.

Still, it's fun seeing what Arlen Ness has done with bikes...I keep wondering what he could do with a Spyder...but unless I win the lottery, I'm never gonna find out...
    Happy SE5 Owner