Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Fixed link: http://www.spyderryders.net.au/tips.html

I don't find the rain to be an issue without the fender installed--- but I cannot speak for whoever is behind me----
    Nope, by yourself it's okay... but the passenger gets a nice BATH.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Down that Australian Spyder Ryders page there is a very interesting section about the ambient air pressure and temperature sensor... apparently it is an easy miss by the dealer during set-up and it really effects the milage and gas smell issues. I have included it below. Have any of you found this to be the case on your ryde??

Tim

Ambient air temp and pressure sensor not installed? This seems to relate only to Spyders assembled by Gold Coast Seadoo
    In a recent post on Can Am Talk.com ," Beemerboy" says - "Do you smell a lot of gas fumes? poor gas milage? Dash air temp gauge read a lot higher than it is outside, and climbs real high in traffic? rough running in traffic? I sure did and fouled two spark plugs in 1200 miles. A 1 minute inspection needs to be done. Go to your bike right now, stand in front of, and looking at the hood, look into the front small air intake hole on left side, do you see a 10MM headed bolt holding a sensor or just a open slot? If not, your dealer did not unwrap the AAPTS (ambient air pressure and temp sensor) from around the frame and laying right on your coolant over flow bottle. This needed to be done when the trunk was installed at the dealer. He fixed his and now says "My bike went from 30mpg to over 40 , temp gauge seems accurate compared to bank sign temp, no more gas smell! Really smoothed out every thing, Easy low rpm control. SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH"
    In a post on Spydertalk.com,
    (http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/ind...showtopic=8302) Tharkun#409 has pointed out that a few owners have learned that the AAPTS (ambient air pressure and temp sensor) was not installed during the PDI (product delivery)
    When I (Martin) fitted my Evoluzione swaybar I discovered that mine also was never installed! It makes sense as my ambient air temperature reading was always miles too high. You can see it here cable tied to my frame as it came from the factory .
    It should be fitted with a foam cover as below. If the AAPTS has been installed, you will be able to confirm it by looking at the lower air inlet below the headlight on the right side of your Spyder -right side when on the bike, left side facing the bike - if all you see is an empty mounting point (like below but without the sensor) then it has not been done.
    The piece of foam that is intended to protect the tip of the sensor, the bolt and plastic nut that secures the senor to the Spyder are all included in the PDI kit which is shipped in the storage compartment.
    The foam cap can be seen in the PDI kit on the right. Not sure where this is now!
    Be aware and check yours.

Last edited by - Tim -; 06-22-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Revised to include all of the referenced information.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    I had the rear fender support brackets replaced today under the warranty. Both were broken off. There is a lot of vibration stress on on these brackets where they do the 90 degree thing. This seems to be a common problem on high mileage Spyders, which means more owners will have the problem eventually.

On my first Spyder the brackets broke some time after 30,000 miles. I don't know just when. Once I noticed the damage, it seems to go fast. The Spyder burned before I could get the brackets replaced. On this Spyder the brackets broke some time after 50,000 miles. I am not sure how long they were damaged before I became aware of it. BRP has not changed part numbers yet.
    Ok so this finally hit my . While checking everything out for the trip to Chicago tomorrow I found both brakets are cracked. Now I've got over 26,000 miles on mine and this is the first time I've had this issue. The only thing that has me really questioning here is the fact that my dealer just installed my Can-AM bags, like 2 weeks ago. Not sure what I'm going to do tonight but I think I'm taking the fender off, and I'll go with the plate in the trunk.
    Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSpyder View Post
    Ok so this finally hit my . While checking everything out for the trip to Chicago tomorrow I found both brakets are cracked. Now I've got over 26,000 miles on mine and this is the first time I've had this issue. The only thing that has me really questioning here is the fact that my dealer just installed my Can-AM bags, like 2 weeks ago. Not sure what I'm going to do tonight but I think I'm taking the fender off, and I'll go with the plate in the trunk.
    I have the BRP saddlebags and there is nothing in the installation that affects the fender brackets. It is a good idea to take the fender off. You never know how quickly the brackets will deteriorate.

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP saddlebags and there is nothing in the installation that affects the fender brackets. It is a good idea to take the fender off. You never know how quickly the brackets will deteriorate.
    Ok fender is off, what has everyone done with the wire for the plate light?
    Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Ok fender is off, what has everyone done with the wire for the plate light?
    Sorry I didn't read the forums last night so I hope that you get this in time or figured out a good place for the wire ....

For right now, I'd put some electrical tape around each of the connectors on the end of the plate light wires to keep them from touching each other or anything metal on the Spyder. Then I'd pull it out of that plastic trim piece that it routes through on the swingarm and route it up in the area above the undertail pan. Inside there, I'd coil it up and cable tie it to something where it won't fall loose and get into something where it could cause an issue. Once you decide on where you will put your replacement license plate holder (or fix and reinstall the fender brackets) you can hook it up to the license plate light. I believe it's a law in many (if not all) states that license plates have to have a light shining on them so that wire will be necessary when you get the plate remounted.
    Last edited by bjt; 06-25-2010 at 05:07 AM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Sorry I didn't read the forums last night so I hope that you get this in time or figured out a good place for the wire ....

For right now, I'd put some electrical tape around each of the connectors on the end of the plate light wires to keep them from touching each other or anything metal on the Spyder. Then I'd pull it out of that plastic trim piece that it routes through on the swingarm and route it up in the area above the undertail pan. Inside there, I'd coil it up and cable tie it to something where it won't fall loose and get into something where it could cause an issue. Once you decide on where you will put your replacement license plate holder (or fix and reinstall the fender brackets) you can hook it up to the license plate light. I believe it's a law in many (if not all) states that license plates have to have a light shining on them so that wire will be necessary when you get the plate remounted.
    Good morning and thanks for the post. Already did the electrical tape, and I'm going to pull the wire back along side it self. Then zip tie it there.

What do you think is a long term solution to this issue, don't want to run without a rear fender, don't like the idea of the plate under the undertail pan, and with the Can-Am bags not sure where else to put the plate.
    Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Good morning and thanks for the post. Already did the electrical tape, and I'm going to pull the wire back along side it self. Then zip tie it there.

What do you think is a long term solution to this issue, don't want to run without a rear fender, don't like the idea of the plate under the undertail pan, and with the Can-Am bags not sure where else to put the plate.
    Long term solution if you are under warranty is to have it replaced. If there is no warranty, remove the powdercoating, reinforce it, weld it up, repaint, and ride until it cracks somewhere else. This is just one of those things that needs frequent inspection and occasional maintenance.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Fender Support Brackets

Are you at the Chicago event now? If so, hopefully I'll meet up with you and we could talk about it.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

I removed the wire--- snip and pull

Just tapped into it from above and mounted an LED light bar on the tailpan--- of course I don't plan on going back to the OEM fender and brackets. I get so many comments on the rear tire----

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had the rear fender support brackets replaced today under the warranty. Both were broken off. There is a lot of vibration stress on on these brackets where they do the 90 degree thing. This seems to be a common problem on high mileage Spyders, which means more owners will have the problem eventually.

On my first Spyder the brackets broke some time after 30,000 miles. I don't know just when. Once I noticed the damage, it seems to go fast. The Spyder burned before I could get the brackets replaced. On this Spyder the brackets broke some time after 50,000 miles. I am not sure how long they were damaged before I became aware of it. BRP has not changed part numbers yet.
    Speaking to some fellow Spyder riders today, seems this is a big issue. One rider has had the fender brackets replaced 5 times in 66.000Ks. The other 6 times in less Ks. Mine broke today with 15.000ks. I know some of the roads are not great but this is ridiculous. If the parts keep failing why not redesign? Removal of the fender is not an option. You should not have to find a workaround for crap design.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear fender support brackets

I had the left bracket crack an my dealer told me it wasn't covered under warranty. I now have noticed that the right side has done the same thing. Should I call customer service ?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default same here twice

The same happened to me twice , first the fender supports broke and the tire pulled in the whole thing. I had it welded together , but due to the belt vibration , it ended up breaking from the welds and when I removed to reweld , I noticed the brackets were all broken and only the last bottom one was holding the weight. I just removed it all and made a little base for the license plate. Only problem is that mud and water fly all over the place at high speeds.
    Attached Images Attached Images