Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm in Canada and parts won't be available till around July 7th.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    RT is going in the shop tomorrow, but not to get the Clutch fixed. Parts are on backorder

But I am getting all the rest of my goodies installed

Doesn't make any sense to me, why would they send these letters out to us, and no parts availiable

They need to make sure they have all the parts first before sending the Recall Letters out to us.
    BRP did the same thing for the snowmobiles axles in 09. Most people that bought a new machine before winter lost their whole season.

Spyder Garage

Smile Insight on Clutch SE5 Clutch Issue

I received the recall notification in the mail yesterday. I've not experienced stalls on my SE5; not saying that I wouldn't. Granted, I like manual downshifting at higher revs better than waiting for the bike to do it. There was a phase as I was breaking it in, when the "auto" downshift seemed to stick a couple of times ... I mean I would come to a stop and the thing would still be in 2d. It didn't stall; somehow either the bike or I kept up the rpms, and pressing firmly on the break, while triggering in on the shifter popped everything back into place (similar to starting the bike if one has accidentally left it in 1st gear). As the bike has broken in, the problem seems to have gone away. Also, there is some finesse here. If relying on the auto-downshift, the more firmly and evenly you apply the brake as you come to a stop, the more sure and accurate the downshift seems to be. There seems to be a direct relationship between the clutch sensor and the break.

Spyder Garage

Default Just got mine back!

Finally, after over 7 weeks in the shop, I got my RTS back yesterday. All I can say is wow... it drives soooo smoothly now. Night and day difference.

When it had first stalled on me back in late April/early May, the clutch parts were backordered when my dealer called in the problem. Then, they received those parts and we had to wait for some fuel gauge parts and just yesterday, it was all done.

Why wouldn't they order enough parts the first time? My guess is that they under-estimated the problem and more and more machines are having this problem. They were forced to do a recall now because it is a safety issue and too many people were having it.

All I can say is DON'T drive it if you have been stalling and creeping. But, if you haven't had this happen yet, you may want to keep ryding, but call your dealer to get on his "list", so when the parts DO arrive, they can get you in and out quickly... my 2 cents.

I don't know how patient I was during this whole ordeal, but it is really nice now. Going out today to try freeway ryding for the first time!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tenfour57 View Post
    Finally, after over 7 weeks in the shop, I got my RTS back yesterday. All I can say is wow... it drives soooo smoothly now. Night and day difference.

When it had first stalled on me back in late April/early May, the clutch parts were backordered when my dealer called in the problem. Then, they received those parts and we had to wait for some fuel gauge parts and just yesterday, it was all done.

Why wouldn't they order enough parts the first time? My guess is that they under-estimated the problem and more and more machines are having this problem. They were forced to do a recall now because it is a safety issue and too many people were having it.

All I can say is DON'T drive it if you have been stalling and creeping. But, if you haven't had this happen yet, you may want to keep ryding, but call your dealer to get on his "list", so when the parts DO arrive, they can get you in and out quickly... my 2 cents.

I don't know how patient I was during this whole ordeal, but it is really nice now. Going out today to try freeway ryding for the first time!!
    I had my clutch work done before the recall (at 200 miles) and I agree, the Spyder ran like a different machine. Smoother idle and shifted like a dream. Felt more power on take off and speeding up. And when braking, the downshifting is smoother and seems more in sync (not the boy band!!!!) than before. My dealership had it done for me in one morning, but had to wait about 2 weeks for the parts (again, before the recall). During those two weeks I did not ryde it. Bought girlfriend a scooter and rode that around the parking lot until I got my Spyder back home!
    I love this thang more than ever now! Better product now than it was when I drove it off the showroom floor!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My people called their people to recall

Called my sales guy yesterday and he said he knew nothing about a recall. He transfered to service and they said they were notified on Wednesday and ordered the replacement parts for 5 Spyders, mine being one of them. Said he would call me to come in and get it taken care of when they get the parts. Not sure if I want to ride my baby until they get this issue taken care of.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I'm in Canada and parts won't be available till around July 7th.
    Just got off the phone with the warranty repair dealer and BRP told him they had 1800 clutch repair kits delivered today. BRP will start shipping on Monday. Maybe I'll be riding again by the 4th.
    Last edited by Bob22025; 06-18-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob22025 View Post
    Just got off the phone with the warranty repair dealer and BRP told him they received 1800 clutch repair kits delivered today. BRP will start shipping on Monday. Maybe I'll be riding again by the 4th.
    Man I hope that is true.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default Release??????

My Rt is at the dealer having the exhaust header replaced and taking care of the clutch repair per the recall. Told the dealer that if clutch parts were going to hold up my getting the RT back for for some riddding time, I'd like to take it now and have them call me when the clutch parts came in. Was told that I'd have to sign a release in order to take the Rt prior to having the clutch recall issue fixed. Reading the posts above, maybe this is a non issue now. Hope so.

Spyder Garage

Default BRP rep calls with Update. Works well for me!!!

Yesterday got a call from BRP in response to a couple emails I had sent about delayed shipping of parts to fix clutch recall. I had checked with my dealer on Tues. early a.m. and they had not seen or heard anything other than to be shipped on or about 6/28 (which had gotten extended from 6/21)..gal from BRP said she had just talked to my dealer's shipping & receiving person and the parts had just arrived. So this a.m. I will be on phone setting appointment to get that plus my foglites and other lite mods scheduled.
    I had also ordered a BRP helmet that has been on BackOrder "forever"..BRP rep said she would check on it and get back to me. Don't know about anyone else, but for me, BRP is getting gold stars for customer service...I am like so not mechanical or understanding of anything motorized...and then I buy my bucket list Spyder and really was wondering what I had invested my hard earned retirement $$ in...(having lived a few decades gives me enough knowledge to know that the world is not perfect and life happens)...didn't like my Spyder having issues, but realllly wasn't liking the idea that I had no recourse other than sit down, shut up and wait. Thank GOD that is not what is happening. So all is Great in my Spyder's world...and it will be even greater in mine after I travel to Yakima this weekend, take the trike endorsement session and PASS so I am able to legally operate my Spyder in WA state!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default And the TRUTH IS!!! Not enough parts sent!!!!

Well, just called my dealer to schedule clutch recall fix since BRP called me personally yesterday and said they had verified with the dealer that the fix kit was there. Well, guess what? BRP forgot to include certain essential components....so back to the waiting game...and dealer said they are out of office until 7/6...so wasn't sure what the BRP response would be...so back to the hurry up and wait mode.... what else to say!!

Spyder Garage

Happy to read, and saddened at the same time. The lack of parts is one I am experiencing as well.

Glad to read you are actually getting to speak to or even hear from someone @ BRP. That is refreshing.

It is also good to read that your dealer wants to do it right and have all the parts first..
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

For those that have had this Clutch Recall completed... Does this repair also eliminate the hesitation from first to second that we are experiencing off and on? And what about the "Clunking" when either going into first or reverse from neutral? Thanks!!! Just curious.. Nothing more...

Invalid Emails
    Eastern Québec, Canada, Earth, Solar System
    Spyder Garage

In response to your questions:

The 1st to 2nd occasional hesitation (twice in 5000 miles for me) is still there. I don't think it's the clutch. The "clunk" is still there is still there too.

The shifting however, is much improved. The bike is faster off the line, shifts like a hot knife through butter and never lurches, either up or down the gears.

It also gets much better gas mileage. Night and day difference.

V.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear the shifting and gas mileage is improved with the fix.

I regrettably am still waiting for the parts and this is primetime riding season here in the Pacific Northwest.

I've got just over 4000 mi on my Spyder now and recently returned from a 1000 mi road trip to the Hell's Canyon Rally in Baker City, OR only to get the recall notice. I have not personally experienced any stalling issues, only a slight hesitation or "clunking" sound going from 1st to 2nd gear. Instead, my Spyder RT handling problems come from severe buffeting in high winds...something I'm still going to have to figure out how to manage.

Unfortunately, I've only had the opportunity to ride my Spyder in rain, hail and winds since purchasing it 3 mos ago and I'm really looking forward to some quality riding time now that the weather has improved...I'm keeping my fingers crossed this will all be resolved soon so we can get back on the road again!

My service guy said some of the primary parts are due any day now, but did mention the seals/O-rings are still on back-order, possibly until sometime in July. He is going to use his own Spyder RT to do the fix without the replacement seals/O-rings because he felt the existing ones are still relatively new on our bikes and may be very useable in the interim until the rest of the parts arrive. So for me right now it's wait, see and try to be patient...more easily said than done!

DD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Well, just called my dealer to schedule clutch recall fix since BRP called me personally yesterday and said they had verified with the dealer that the fix kit was there. Well, guess what? BRP forgot to include certain essential components....so back to the waiting game...and dealer said they are out of office until 7/6...so wasn't sure what the BRP response would be...so back to the hurry up and wait mode.... what else to say!!
    It wouldn't surprise me that "certain essential components" were left out of all the fix kits. My dealer called me this afternoon and said the fix kit had arrived as promised last week by BRP, but it was not complete. The recall was for about 1,200 units but according to my warranty dealer BRP stated they received 1,800 repair kits last week. I guess that is how they got the extra 600 repair kits. Short the 1,200 kits. Looks like another 2 or 3 weeks of no riding while the rest of the components are shipped.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    For those that have had this Clutch Recall completed... Does this repair also eliminate the hesitation from first to second that we are experiencing off and on? And what about the "Clunking" when either going into first or reverse from neutral? Thanks!!! Just curious.. Nothing more...
    I just got my RTS back after clutch was repaired a couple weeks ago. It shifts soooo smoothly now. I don't even notice going from 1st to second.

I am pretty sure the "clunk" is still there going to 1st or Reverse from Neutral. ( I was having issues getting it to GO into Neutral from 1st, so I read the manual and you have to downshift SOFTLY!!!) User error

Not sure about the gas mileage, either. My gauge is still bouncing after they replaced the fuel pump and sending unit. I understand it just needs the new gauge, itself, but I am not about to take it in again and have to wait, after I waited 7 weeks to get it back NOW! I only have about 300 miles, so I will wait to address it at the 600 mile checkup.

Registered Users SemperFiSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Parts Backorder

Still waiting for clutch re-call back-ordered parts. It's been about three weeks. Anyone have an update as to when dealers will be receiving them?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TD009 View Post
    Still waiting for clutch re-call back-ordered parts. It's been about three weeks. Anyone have an update as to when dealers will be receiving them?
    Hang in there. and welcome

Spyder Garage

Default Clutch

Paulsons Motorsports in Lacy Wa. .. Received parts in on wed.the 30th. Has completed three as of this past Tuesday including mine. Jason the service Manager is on top of things and does an excellent job. I am a very " HAPPY CAMPER " . NO real issues with the 2009 SE5, or the 2010 RTSE5.
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Registered Users SemperFiSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks, had a great ride yesterday..love the RT.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by TD009 View Post
    Anyone else still waiting for the backordered parts to complete the repair? Thursday will be 30 days. The way I read the Virginia lemon law they will have an additional 15 days to complete the repair after receipt of a demand letter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob22025 View Post
    Anyone else still waiting for the backordered parts to complete the repair? Thursday will be 30 days. The way I read the Virginia lemon law they will have an additional 15 days to complete the repair after receipt of a demand letter.
    Yes.. We are... And BRP started very good communications with us last Monday. No idea where we go from here, but they are trying to help

Spyder Garage

Default Still Waiting

I call every Tuesday a.m. and check to see if parts for recall fix have arrived. If anything changes will let you know. Heck have forgotten how long I have been calling!!!!! Read LONG TIME...so must be getting closer to fix happening...wouldn't you thunk!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Special tools needed for recall

Here's an excerpt from the e-mail sent by the service desk at my dealer yesterday:

-- Yes the tools came in on Saturday that were supposed to. The two tools that we received were the clutch holder and the crank holder. The new tools that we are waiting on, are for the clutch adjustment. Can-am noted in the bulletin that sometimes when the clutch is reinstalled as per the recall, the clutch height changes, these tools are to measure and make the necessary adjustments. --

I don't know the truth of it. Could just be Page 117 out of the Manual of Excuses for Stalling. Perhaps those of you still waiting on parts might want to run this by your dealers just in case the tools are needed.

Spyder-free for 49 days and counting...

BAD WORDS BAD WORDS BAD WORDS BAD WORDS BAD WORDS BAD WORDS