Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I have had similar problems with the seat situation in combo with a bad back. Started with the Utopia back rest which gave me the back support I needed. For me, however the stock seat just felt to soft for long term riding comfort. After about 2000 miles I switched over to the Corbin seat and backrest. After 4000 miles on the Corbin--it is now starting to feel "broke in" and is comfortable for all day rides. I used a combination sheepskin and gel pad on the Corbin in the interim--but that also became a bit uncomfortable after 100 miles or so. I am now back to the Corbin seat/backrest only and it is working pretty good for me. What I am finding with Corbin, is that they feel like a cement block until they get broke in--then they are pretty good for the long haul. I had pretty much the same experience with my 2008 on which I put over 15,000 miles on the Corbin and 5000 miles on the stock seat.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler~ View Post
    Sorry about the quality but I think you still get the idea.

Today rode non-stop 72 miles before butt started getting sore. At 88 miles felt a serious need for a butt break but no numbness to the knees at all. This is about the same distance I needed a butt rest on all of my 2 wheelers. Very happy with that!
    This pic along with my signature picture shows just how much further back I sit in the seat when it's modified 3 1/2" further back and angled to the rear.
    Last edited by Wheeler~; 06-22-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the pics!! I have to ask... Did you leave the very front of the seat foam alone and then gradually cut back tho the three inches? Or just leave all of the foam alone and simply cut the three inches off the back area for the driver?

I am thinking about buying a used stock seat and doing experiments once we get our Spyder under control...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Thank you for the pics!! I have to ask... Did you leave the very front of the seat foam alone and then gradually cut back tho the three inches? Or just leave all of the foam alone and simply cut the three inches off the back area for the driver?

I am thinking about buying a used stock seat and doing experiments once we get our Spyder under control...
    I had 2" removed and graduated the last 1 1/2". That took the presseure of the sciatic nerve. I had foam added to the hollow center area of the back of the driver seat for added support. Doing it this way added more seating room and relieved the pressure point.

2013 Spyder RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

My sciatic is killing me. It appears to be a condition known as Piriformis syndrome where the butt muscles strangle the sciatic. It is treated by stretching and staying off the beloved Spyder for awhile I rode 200 miles on Sunday and was crippled on Monday. Although the stock seat offers no support I think I lean too much. There is no such thing as a flat or straight road in WV and I am also a fan of the twisty thing on the right handlebar. I should also mention that I had previously had 3" scooped out of the rear portion of the rider's seat and installed some stiff memory foam.

Needless to say I bought a Corbin seat yesterday. It wont be in for a month so I will be using her sparingly in the meantime and hopefully this is the cure!!
    Last edited by MotownCruiser; 06-28-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Make sure you let me know how that works out for you! The highway/foot pegs made a big difference also. That little stretching out of the legs seems to help relieve some of the pressure on that sciatic nerve also.

2013 Spyder RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

I just completed a 4000 mile trip in seven days with the a U back rest. But I removed 1 1/2 inchs of foam from the stock seat which has 3 inches and trimed some from the side and a little from the back. I rode without back or knee problems for the entire trip. It took about 1 hour to mod the seat and did not have to cut anything from the seat cover.