GOS member (Girls On Spyders) 8LEGS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tornado lastnight

Hope all is well with everyone. Had a tornado touch down about 8 miles from home. It was a long night with all the storms. I know there is a spyderlover that lives there on us31 and I haven't heard from him yet. I do believe the twister was south of his location. Right now just waiting on the National Weather Service to get here and confirm it was a tornado. Views from the air clearly show swirls in the fields and a debris field. Several houses and a hog farm operation were destroyed. Was hoping for a ride today, but will assist in clean-up instead, ride tomorrow. I'm hearing there were tornados in Il and Oh as well, hope everyone is ok.

Take care.

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK. It was a long night, for sure! We had not less than five tornado warnings for our county, but there were no touchdowns...they were doppler indicated tornados. A few trees down, lots of rain and flooding, but we came out pretty well. Nancy might disagree, since I woke her up just before midnight to hustle her off to the basement, with a warning and the storm bearing right down on us. I hope all are safe in your neighborhood.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK. I hate tornadoes. I am not aware of anything around here. We went to bed around 11:30 and all was fine. I did check the radar before then and it looked like the weather was going north of us. Must have happened.
    Look forward to seeing you soon.
    Dick
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Good that you're okay, let us know about the Spyderlover near where it hit. Tornadoes are sneaky, just about every other kind of storm you can see coming for hours, tornadoes hide behind some of them and jump down with little warning.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had no tornados here,everything went north and south of me,all I had was heavy rain and alot of wind.

Spyder Garage

All is good here. Went for a drive and followed the same path the tornado did. It was picky where it went. Most of the touchdowns were in rural areas. I uploaded pictures to facebook.

See if this link works.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=11c48f8e61

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK. It was a long night, for sure! We had not less than five tornado warnings for our county, but there were no touchdowns...they were doppler indicated tornados. A few trees down, lots of rain and flooding, but we came out pretty well. Nancy might disagree, since I woke her up just before midnight to hustle her off to the basement, with a warning and the storm bearing right down on us. I hope all are safe in your neighborhood.

I dont mean to sound stupid but what are Doppler indicated tornadoes. My mom is on vacation in florida and I looked at the weather where she lives in New York and the weather report there said they had a tornado, but when I talked to a friend up there they said nothing touched down.

Spyder Garage

Not a stupid question at all.

Doppler Indicated Tornado Warning: Although a tornado has not been spotted, strong rotation indicated on Doppler radar means a tornado has formed or might form. Even if no tornado forms, this type of warning can save lives because when a tornado has formed or will form, it gives you precious minutes to get yourself and your family to safety.

http://weathersavvy.com/Q-Tornadoes_...recasting.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gjco View Post
    I dont mean to sound stupid but what are Doppler indicated tornadoes. My mom is on vacation in florida and I looked at the weather where she lives in New York and the weather report there said they had a tornado, but when I talked to a friend up there they said nothing touched down.
    If the Doppler radar wind shear signature and wind speed characteristics indicate rotation sufficient to be classed as a tornado, the NWS will now issue a tornado warning, even though no spotters have seen a tornado or wall cloud, and no tornados have touched down. "Doppler indicated" merely means a possible tornado, as indicated by Doppler radar. If you had seen the circular configuration of the meanest part of the storm on the radar, it would have left no doubt about the possibility.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info it makes sense now.

Spyder Garage

Turns out we apparently had an actual tornado here. Tore the top of a church about a mile from our house. Several more confirmed tornados in the area. For a rain event that was supposed to be without incident, it sure was mean. I am a trained spotter, and NWS said spotters would not be needed, earlier in the day. So much for that theory!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I need to be a weather man. you can be right 50% of the time and it wont even raise an eyebrow with your bosses. my only down fall is that I don't think a big bald with tattoos would get very good ratings, but I am pretty sure I could look out the window and get the weather at least 70% of the time.

Spyder Garage

I need to be a weather man. you can be right 50% of the time and it wont even raise an eyebrow with your bosses. my only down fall is that I don't think a big bald with tattoos would get very good ratings, but I am pretty sure I could look out the window and get the weather at least 70% of the time.
    I use the weather rock outside my front door. If it is white...it is snowing, if it is wet...it is raining, if it is hot...it is sunny, and if it is flipped over...I'm getting outta here!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I use the weather rock outside my front door. If it is white...it is snowing, if it is wet...it is raining, if it is hot...it is sunny, and if it is flipped over...I'm getting outta here!
    HA ! I need one of those.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

It's the "flipped over" part that scares me!

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No tornadoes here; they were north of us. Lots of high winds, spats of heavy rain, incredible displays of lightning. Storm sirens activated five times. It was a long night...sigh...
    Happy SE5 Owner

Spyder Garage

Chittenango NY, thought there was a tornado there. 90 mile an hour winds tore up the town pretty good but no tornado.