Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    More teeth on the front will lower the engine RPMs for any given speed. Going from a 28 to a 30 should lower the revs by about 7%.

You are EXACTLY right!! However, for me, I would not do it for a couple of reasons. First, Lamont makes a good point about reliablity of the after market part.

Second, unlike many of you, I am actually groovin on the performance aspect of the experience. YES, I said performance experience! The low end torque and power band of this Rotax V990 is pretty darn good and delivers a great punch. Not Corvette punch, but prety close. I have gone from stop to 100+ in a very short time, and it's impressive enough for me to not want to change it.

Cornering is pretty fun too, tho I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my Evoluzione Sway bar; I'm still diving the front end even tho I have my shock pre-load tweaked to max. I am kinda big and stock aint gonna do it!
    Last edited by Raptor; 06-23-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

I need to clarify something; It appears that from what I have read that "many of you" are super touring monsters! You guys are riding hundreds of miles ina single shot, and many are RT owners. I admire that!

However, Iam just an old racer and I can't seem to get on something (no matter what it is) and not want to go all out! I can't help myself!!

Got nothin but love for you tour monsters, man! Ride on...

Spyder Garage

5000 @ 80 refers to the stock sport v-twins I rode. I gave many of my machines sprocket changes for their purpose, dropping RPM's and increasing mileage for sport tourers happened a few times. 5500~6000 @ 75~80 feels weird. Funny how the body tunes to resonant frequency. I don't care if a down shift change is necessary to perform, I find myself always thinking about refueling on this machine. The placebo effect of an extra 5 miles + per gallon, I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
    I see 5500 at 75mph...
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    5000 @ 80 refers to the stock sport v-twins I rode. I gave many of my machines sprocket changes for their purpose, dropping RPM's and increasing mileage for sport tourers happened a few times. 5500~6000 @ 75~80 feels weird. Funny how the body tunes to resonant frequency. I don't care if a down shift change is necessary to perform, I find myself always thinking about refueling on this machine. The placebo effect of an extra 5 miles + per gallon, I like it.
    True that. I hear where you are coming from. I can defintely see where the change would suit most riders. I just like grabbing throttle and getting that pull, man! The rev and compression aspect of "spirited" cornering is esential for me as well. Yet another reason why I will not change out.

It's just so cool when you pick your line, set her up, and just use the compression brake, smooth throttle and hang yer butt out there and attack the turns with very little brake. And then on exit grab that throttle again and scat out with authority. It's a rush!!

I will calm down eventually, but right now it's just FUN!!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpybob View Post
    Has anyone fitted the after market 30 tooth front sprocket, if so could you share your thoughts about same. I've just finished a 6500 km trip, 5,207 kms of which I logged for petrol, and used 399 litres of petrol. At about $1.30 a litre just wondering if I can save myself some money. Pluses and Minuses anyone?

My wife has a 30 tooth sprocket on her spyder we find it uses less petrol but you have to change down gears more often because the sprocket decreases the reves by 500 rpm
    My will reads "being of sound mind and body,
    I spent it, go make your own!"

VERY HAPPY SPYDER OWNER.

Spyder Garage

There was talk from Mel's awhile back about a 27 tooth gear which would increase low end performance. You may want to contact them and inquire about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    True that. I hear where you are coming from. I can defintely see where the change would suit most riders. I just like grabbing throttle and getting that pull, man! The rev and compression aspect of "spirited" cornering is esential for me as well. Yet another reason why I will not change out.

It's just so cool when you pick your line, set her up, and just use the compression brake, smooth throttle and hang yer butt out there and attack the turns with very little brake. And then on exit grab that throttle again and scat out with authority. It's a rush!!

I will calm down eventually, but right now it's just FUN!!

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wtwing15 View Post
    My wife has a 30 tooth sprocket on her spyder we find it uses less petrol but you have to change down gears more often because the sprocket decreases the reves by 500 rpm
    Hey wtwing, is that the one you had here for sale or another one?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18909
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Hey wtwing, is that the one you had here for sale or another one?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18909
    Hi it is another one I got one for the RT but it dosnt go as well on the RT
    It is still for Sale
    My will reads "being of sound mind and body,
    I spent it, go make your own!"

VERY HAPPY SPYDER OWNER.

Spyder Garage

anything new?
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    There was talk from Mel's awhile back about a 27 tooth gear which would increase low end performance. You may want to contact them and inquire about that.
    Don't tease me like that...

Spyder Garage

Worky worky?
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    The question I have concerns the charging system. Since the output is achieved at higher rpm has the change of sprocket affected or created any charging issues?
    It is only a few percent change. It should not affect the charging that much.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default bolt update

I share your concern. I'll be keeping a close eye on the torque of the bolt and will post any observations.
    After 8000km I checked the torque on the bolt today - still as tight as the day I put the 30 tooth pulley on 8 months ago - thankfully.
    Last edited by Freddy; 08-26-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

And hows the performance? Gas mileage, rpm difference, engine performance. How's the roll on performance, is there a need at 65mph for downshift to accelerate when you are 1 up? Tell us about it!
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And hows the performance? Gas mileage, rpm difference, engine performance. How's the roll on performance, is there a need at 65mph for downshift to accelerate when you are 1 up? Tell us about it!
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...33&postcount=9

Spyder Garage

anything new?
    Worky worky?
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...9&postcount=23

Spyder Garage

Like I said above, mine's still tight. If OEM sprockets are stripping out too, the only conclusion to be drawn is that the bolt isn't tight enough, allowing movement between the sprocket and spline. I don't see belt tension being a cause of this as it's a straight pull on the sprocket - different matter for bearings tho.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    Just checked and see nothing about the 27 tooth yet. But after seeing Doc's 30 tooth, I think I'll pass!!

Spyder Garage

If it's happening to several OEM steel pulleys, the problem is not the material it's made of but how it's attached/tightened to the shaft.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Mine has now done about 12,000km with the 30T sprocket. I'll be taking it on a 10,000km tour with my sons next month. So to satisfy the nagging concern about the durability of the aluminium sprocket I removed it for a look-see today. The retaining bolt was tight and there was no wear on the splines. I had applied moly grease when I installed it. So it was back on with a new OEM bolt torqued correctly.

I also fitted Honda exhaust gaskets (the original right one was deteriorating) and a new expansion tank.

Spyder Garage

Mine has now done about 12,000km with the 30T sprocket. I'll be taking it on a 10,000km tour with my sons next month. So to satisfy the nagging concern about the durability of the aluminium sprocket I removed it for a look-see today. The retaining bolt was tight and there was no wear on the splines. I had applied moly grease when I installed it. So it was back on with a new OEM bolt torqued correctly.

I also fitted Honda exhaust gaskets (the original right one was deteriorating) and a new expansion tank.
    I'd take your OEM sprocket on your trip just to be on the safe side. I know Doc burns through them -- but the Mels unit didn't last him long at all if memory serves....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Yes, I must confess that the same thought had crossed my mind FF. However, I'm still of the view that the lack of proper torque on the retaining bolt is the culprit for these pulley failures - except in Doc's case cos he's special.

I'll give another update in due course.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 30 tooth sprokett

I went through 3 sproketts from mells and striped the centers out of each in less than 1000 miles each. I have had one made out of stanless and he has plans for a 31 tooth they cost around 600 but worth the price as Ihave 7000 miles with no trouble (LFWMFG.com) 209 465 0444 in Stockton Calif. talk to Leo tell him Jerry sent you.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Rider View Post
    I went through 3 sproketts from mells and striped the centers out of each in less than 1000 miles each. I have had one made out of stanless and he has plans for a 31 tooth they cost around 600 but worth the price as Ihave 7000 miles with no trouble (LFWMFG.com) 209 465 0444 in Stockton Calif. talk to Leo tell him Jerry sent you.
    Thanks for the info
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Rider View Post

What am I doing that your not - or vice a versa?
    If the bolt is tight there should be no movement in the spline as it clamps the face of the sprochet to the mating face of the shaft

I can't see 31T being an overall benefit, apart from SS. The 30T sprocket is high enough ratio when starting up hill loaded. 31T and you'd be slipping the clutch far more than I'd be comfortable with. It's 'bad' enough with 2 extra teeth.