Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RTS hard to start

Does anyone have a problem re-starting your RTS after a 10 - 15 minute stop? It always starts right up first time for the day, but if we stop to rest or get gas, it often doesn't start with the first push of the button. It wants me to give it a little gas.

Spyder Garage

It happens to me every now and then, just happened yesterday again.

Mine is going in for Service on Sat. I am going to bring it to my Tech's attention
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

Yep, not all the time but once in awhile.

Spyder Garage

What I have to say is purely based on my experience. There may be no actual reason for it. I have rarely, if ever, experienced the "slow start" when I've had it in neutral. However, I have from time to time experienced the slow start if I have it in gear and the clutch in.

Again, this is just a personal observation.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

Two times to get it to start yesterday after grocery store run. But ran like a charm!

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine does it all the time but I have got use to it, I have changed type of gas and different grades of gas and still the same thing. But I am haveing bigger problems than that with mine but do not want to write about it as of yet (waiting for my dealer to find the problem)!
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Starting

I see I'm not alone. Its always starts but sometimes it doesn't sound like wants to. Never an issue when it is cold. Only after it has been running a while and parked for a few minutes. It actually sounds like the battery is dying.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vmc View Post
    Does anyone have a problem re-starting your RTS after a 10 - 15 minute stop? It always starts right up first time for the day, but if we stop to rest or get gas, it often doesn't start with the first push of the button. It wants me to give it a little gas.

Funny you should mention that. I just had my RT-S in yesterday for its 3,000 and told the mechanic about it. He called BRP. They're aware of the issue and advised us to give it a little throttle for now. I had been doing that and it would start.

Spyder Garage

I was the first to report this warm restart problem to BRP. They do not have a solution as yet. It is an artifact of the position they stop the engine at, in conjunction with the throttle setting that must be used to accomodate restarting with the fly-by-wire throttle. As long as you don't foul a plug, it should be nothing more than an occasional nuisance. Be patient, BRP is trying to come up with an answer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I was the first to report this warm restart problem to BRP. They do not have a solution as yet. It is an artifact of the position they stop the engine at, in conjunction with the throttle setting that must be used to accomodate restarting with the fly-by-wire throttle. As long as you don't foul a plug, it should be nothing more than an occasional nuisance. Be patient, BRP is trying to come up with an answer.

My dealer asked me if I was havin that issue and said that if I do encounter it to crack the throttle just slightly when starting. He stated that BRP was doing a reprogram for this as everytime you shut the bike off and then go to restart it it does a cold start. Hence the issue or so he said.
    Chezeburger
    2010 - Orbital Blue RT-S
    2003 - Yamaha V-Star 1100
    2012 - White RT-S Limited added 4/30/13

Spyder Garage

mine does it too...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Many times it takes more than one time to start ours too.

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Yep...me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    Many times it takes more than one time to start ours too.

MM
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

]Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cracking the throttle will ease the hot restart issue. BRP is working on a remap, but it has not come as of yet. It appears to be that the ECU is dumping to much fuel during hot restart. Opening the throttle slightly will open the throttle valve allow more air to flow through the intake. It is a pain but be patient they should have a reflash soon.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default It all sounds technical to me

Mine does the same thing sometimes, but now I know to twist the handgrip on the right side to avoid the problem.

Kidding, I am not that inept, however this is a very complex machine with the computers fly by wire throttle, RF controls and so forth. I wanted to have a "flash-to-pass" garage door opener gadget that times in with the high beam switch (you click the high-beam passing switch twice to open the door). The mechanic advised against it because if I understood him correctly, some of the left hand pod controls use RF to operate various functions. Of course my dealer is against adding any third party items to the Spyder.