Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper86 View Post
    I have a 2018 F3T SE6 what is the best RPM to shift up?
    What you can do is set it in the Eco mode and you will see where the BRP computer wants you to shift at.
    I like 3500-4500 RPM.
    2016 F3 Spyder Limited SE6
    2005 Honda ST1300 ABS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 1330 isn't the least bit fussy:

Floating Your Goat.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting

When is the best mph or rpm to paddle shift between gears for any year or model with a SE6 1330. Need a good direct answer no guessing please.

1st to 2nd-- between mph to mph or rpm
    2nd to 3rd-- between mph to mph or rpm
    3rd to 4th--- between mph to mph or rpm
    4th to 5th-- between mph to mph or rpm
    5th to 6th-- between mph to mph or rpm

Shoot me a email apffap@yahoo.com

Spyder Garage

Looks like you asked the same question in 2019.

There's no "best" shift/speed point IMHO.
    My experience has been that the shift points vary depending on the acceleration pace. If I'm cranking thru the gears with a hot foot, the shift points are at higher rpms to "stay on the pipe" (best pull). If I'm riding casual, the shifting is done at lower rpm (3500-4000).

But in any case, you don't want to 'lug' the engine by running too low an rpm under load.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 12-10-2022 at 11:12 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper86 View Post
    When is the best mph or rpm to paddle shift between gears for any year or model with a SE6 1330. Need a good direct answer no guessing please.

1st to 2nd-- between mph to mph or rpm
    2nd to 3rd-- between mph to mph or rpm
    3rd to 4th--- between mph to mph or rpm
    4th to 5th-- between mph to mph or rpm
    5th to 6th-- between mph to mph or rpm

Shoot me a email apffap@yahoo.com
    You are making this a little harder than it has to be. I note you have a 2018 F3. If you want a gear by gear reference of when to shift...just put your F3 into "eco" mode. Hold the mode button in a smidge longer and the green "eco" icon will pop up on your dashboard. You will get a "shift" light each time it wants you to upshift. Downshifts are automatic.

OR...as your are shifting up...3500 seems to be about right for all gears. You know it is the sweet spot when it shifts virtually noisless. You will quickly learn to do this by ear. I don't like ECO because it is a large distraction to me looking for the shift light all the time.

The 1330 is very forgiving, A hundred rpm's or two either way...does not matter much.

Hope this information helps.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In slow traffic I will shift around 3,000. In a hurry about 5,500.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    ...But in any case, you don't want to 'lug' the engine by running too low an rpm under load.
    You cannot damage anything by "lugging" the engine, except by opinion, since the automatic downshift timing is engineered to prevent that. In fact, that's the sole purpose of that downshift, I think. Same with the upshift: the paddle only "requests" the shift... Nanny then performs it only when RPM is sufficiently high.

But, hey, I've been known to be wrong before!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    You cannot damage anything by "lugging" the engine, except by opinion, since the automatic downshift timing is engineered to prevent that. In fact, that's the sole purpose of that downshift, I think. Same with the upshift: the paddle only "requests" the shift... Nanny then performs it only when RPM is sufficiently high.

But, hey, I've been known to be wrong before!
    I doubt very much that you are wrong on either of those facts missouriboy!

More than one BRP Trained Spyder Tech/Engineer/Guru here in Oz has said exactly that & others very much the same thing when directly questioned about those 'auto' downshifts - they are all pretty unanimous that the auto-downshift's major purpose is to protect the engine from lugging & clutch/transmission from running too high a torque load & the consequent damage that may occur whenever road speed drops below that viable for the given revs/gear/road speed; with the 'auto-downshift' feature promoted by the marketing & sales team simply tagged on as an after-thought! And as you suggested, they all also said the same goes for shifting up too early - no matter how often you flap the flappy paddle, if you don't have suitable revs/road speed for the next higher gear to pull that gear safely, then the computers just don't let the up-shift happen until you do!

So Kasper, you can up-shift from whenever/whatever revs the computers will let you right out to the red line without issue, cos the computers won't let you up-shift too low & the rev limiter feature of the engine's computer control unit will cut you off if you rev it out too far past that red line!

As for that ECO thing, it certainly works to help you learn the lowest viable up-shift revs for a given revs/gear/road speed combination & might even give you the misapprehension that you're actually saving more than just a dribble of fuel, but do be aware that when you select ECO Mode, it not only turns on that Green Arrow, but it also downgrades the 'fly-by-wire' throttle input by a fairly significant amount! So if you do choose to use ECO Mode, you'll really be further restricting the engine's potential power output and the Spyder's performance capability from the already 'de-tuned for Spyders' levels that we get from the factory (just to make sure you don't have too much fun! ) because in ECO Mode, you'll NEVER achieve Wide Open Throttle or Full Revs in any gear, not even for the moment that the 'normal' factory tune allows!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

What do you mean by "best" in terms of when to shift? Some might say "best" is when it is more fuel efficient. Some might say it is when power is maximized. Anywhere above where the engine lugs, and up to redline is ok to shift. Personally I have no idea at what rpm I normally shift, although I suspect its around 4,000 on on 2021 RT. I do it by sound, just as I have done for decades with 2 wheel motorcycles. I've compared my normal riding to a stretch where I put the Spyder in Eco mode and shift accordingly, and have not found a significant difference in terms of mpg. So now I never use Eco mode, and I shift by sound, and so far have had no problem.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

3,150 no clunk from trans !