Thread: DPS Failures

Spyder Garage

Default DPS Failures

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

I am trying to get some opinions/experience from all the SpyderLovers out there that have had DPS failures.
    I have recently experienced what seems to be my DPS unit starting to go out.

It is an intermittent problem of the steering becoming "tight" when making a turn to the left or right. This generally occurs at slow speeds - under 25mph, and when I am about a 1/4 - 1/2 way through the turn.
    Or about when handlebars are approx 3" from center point
    Starts out really easy then acts as if I am getting no assist whatsoever from the DPS.
    It has been to the shop to have fault codes pulled and none show up on the BUDS system.
    Relay has been replaced and all fuses in good shape, all ground wires tight and clean.

I guess my question is for those that have had a failure of the DPS - is this the same thing you experienced or was it a sudden and total loss?
    If you had intermittent issues, how long was it before total failure of DPS?

I am still riding Spydie but it kinda gets annoying having to really push on bars to get me through the turn

Any help/opinions/solutions would be appreciated

Ryde Safe and have a great weekend!

Oh yes it is a 2008 SM5 with 15,000 happy and trouble free miles so far
    Last edited by spyder30517; 05-31-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Additional information added

Spyder Garage

I hate to say it but the search feature will bring up tons of info about what to expect and not to expect if you have a DPS issue. Give it a try and if you still don't have an answer let us know.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/search.php

Spyder Garage

Default DPS

Thanks Lamont
    Been browsing site for DPS issues and it seems that the opinions of most are eventual DPS failures.
    I have some other things I am going to try before taking back to dealer to have some of the sensors checked.
    Keep you posted

Spyder Garage

Some of the most recent posts are from people who actually found adjusting the air pressure in their tires made a difference. If I recall the last one had different pressures in each of the front tires. Once they equalized them, their problem went away. It may not be the cure for yours, but it is one of the easiest things to check. Most are recommending 19-20 PSI for the best handling right now on stock tires.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Tire pressures was one of the first things I tried - made no difference.
    Problem seems to only occur when driving/turning at low speeds
    Its looking as if I may just have to ride it out until DPS finally goes to get that replaced BUT I may be taking it to the dealer this week to have them check the sensors out to see if maybe one has gone bad or out of spec. That would be nice if it was just a sensor : )

Just kinda frustrating when it'll have to sit for a week or more at the dealer to get an answer to the problem.
    Last edited by spyder30517; 05-31-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Additional info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder30517 View Post
    Thanks!
    That was one of the first things I tried - made no difference.
    Problem seems to only occur when driving/turning.
    Its looking as if I may just have to ride it out until DPS finally goes out BUT I may be taking it to the dealer this week to have them check the sensors out to see if maybe one has gone bad or out of spec.
    Just kinda frustrating when it'll have to sit for a week or more to get an answer to the problem.
    No-- you don't just have to 'ride it out'. Your dealer should be able to check it all out and determine what the problem is. Make sure they apply all the updates. Plugging it in and checking for codes doesn't cut it! The DPS units will not necessarily show a fault.

Could be DPS, GPS, or one of the other sensors.

Get it in and get it checked out.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Oh yes it'll be going to the shop for sure!
    It has had all its updates though and it has been an ongoing issue for the last few weeks.
    I really noticed it in the N.GA mountains 3 weekends ago - Kind of "enhanced" the ryding experience if you know what I mean.

Im guessing you had the same issues/experience with your DPS? Was it quick failure or over a period of time?

THANKS!

Spyder Garage

The DPS will draw a lot of juice and if your battery is weak that could be the problem. I was able to look at my voltage gauge the other day while riding the twisties and it would go from 13.9 volts to 12.2 volts on the hard tight turns.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The DPS will draw a lot of juice and if your battery is weak that could be the problem. I was able to look at my voltage gauge the other day while riding the twisties and it would go from 13.9 volts to 12.2 volts on the hard tight turns.
    Thanks Lamont
    I have checked the voltage during steering and there really isnt that much of a drop from 13.6 to 12.8 but that was at idle on a concrete garage floor.

Battery was just on a load tester and it held up really well for the test.

After everything I have checked - relays,grounds,wiring connections,etc
    I am beginning to think that it is the DPS on its way out or a bad sensor.
    I will be leaving those checks up to the dealer to find the root of the problem since it is still under warranty.

Thanks for all your help

Spyder Garage

Default DPS

Quote Originally Posted by spyder30517 View Post
    Happy Memorial Day everyone!

I am trying to get some opinions/experience from all the SpyderLovers out there that have had DPS failures.
    I have recently experienced what seems to be my DPS unit starting to go out.

It is an intermittent problem of the steering becoming "tight" when making a turn to the left or right. This generally occurs at slow speeds - under 25mph, and when I am about a 1/4 - 1/2 way through the turn.
    Or about when handlebars are approx 3" from center point
    Starts out really easy then acts as if I am getting no assist whatsoever from the DPS.
    It has been to the shop to have fault codes pulled and none show up on the BUDS system.
    Relay has been replaced and all fuses in good shape, all ground wires tight and clean.

I guess my question is for those that have had a failure of the DPS - is this the same thing you experienced or was it a sudden and total loss?
    If you had intermittent issues, how long was it before total failure of DPS?

I am still riding Spydie but it kinda gets annoying having to really push on bars to get me through the turn

Any help/opinions/solutions would be appreciated

Ryde Safe and have a great weekend!

Oh yes it is a 2008 SM5 with 15,000 happy and trouble free miles so far
    HAD SAME WITH MINE THEY PUT A NEW UNIT ON MINE WAS A RECALL THEY TOLD ME BEEN RYDEING FIE EVER SENCE . GO TO DEALER AND TELL THEM THEY WELL PLUG THEM IN AND IT TOOK 1 DAY HAD TO TAKE BIKE APART NOSE OFF RYDES SMOOTH AS HUNNY HOPE ALL IS OK CALL DEALER IT UNDER WARENTY YOU NO CAPTS LOCKED CANT GET UNDID NOT YELLING DON...VT228