Thread: Gas odor

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas odor

I noticed yesterday while riding that my dad's blue RT seemed to smell a bit of gas. I had filled the tank to the top, though I still smelled the gas after 35 miles riding, which should have lowered the level by a gallon or so. It was a hot day yesterday (maybe 90 degrees). What do you think - maybe gas venting from the cap? The odor was clearly from the cap - I gave it the sniff test to be sure.

Spyder Garage

WOW! I was just talking to Lamont on the phone about this same problem when you posted this.

I was just about to put up a post asking if anybody else had this problem too.

I filled up the RT the other day and I too noticed a strong "gas smell' on the ride home.

When I got home and lifted the seat and found my gas cap was loose and there was gas that had leaked out around the cap!

Now after owning two service stations this is not something I would do, leave a gas cap loose. But, you never know? So, I screwed it down tight and it is then that I noticed it had a "loose feeling' to the ratchet.

I took it off and looked at the gasket and the rest of the cap. It all looked "normal" so I again put it back on as tight as the ratchet would allow.

I was just riding the RT again this morning and noticed a "gas smell" while at a red light. Got home lifted the seat, and the cap was loose again!

Now this last time I KNOW THE CAP WAS PUT ON 100% TIGHT!

This is not something I can remember ever seeing on a bike or car, a gas cap that comes loose?

I am going to tighten it down one more time and ride it. If it comes loose this time, than to the dealer for a new cap under warranty.

I may try the cap off the SM5 to see what it does, but something is not quite right here?

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm getting a recent gas smell too. It's especially noticable when I come back from a ride and park in the garage.
    My gas cap seems to just spin and spin, with no stop to the ratcheting.

Fred
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Same thing here. Right after putting it in the garage yesterday afternoon. Filled up about 30 miles prior to parking it. However, do not smell today.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    This is not something I can remember ever seeing on a bike or car, a gas cap that comes loose? MM
    Now we know why Lamonster like the new Corbin RT saddle with a door for fueling...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

I've had this problem also. Tank doesn't have to be full. Pulled into the garage with maybe 50 miles on the tank. Smelled the gas pretty strong.

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Have not noticed on my RT-S, but I only put 200 miles on it before my Steering position sensor went bad. I might get it back tomorrow. I will keep an eye on mine.
    Lets Ride!

Spyder Garage

I'll have to check to see if mine is loose... even my wife mentioned to me "Why does the garage smell of gasoline?" I had _just_ wheeled the bike into the garage after my trip home from work.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Default just asked about this on the gas mileage thread

My gas cap seems to seal, and it only stinks after I try and really get the tank full (ever notice how you keep topping it off, and the level keeps going down?). I was wondering if there was an over flow canister or some other California smog gizmo that could cause the 'avoid open flames/sparks' impulse?
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Mine smells too.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Had this same gas smell on mine when I first got it. At about 3000 miles, had to replace the gas cap as the seal on it broke in two. Have not noticed the gas smell since, now at 6100 miles. However, it is extremely hard to fill completely as gas spews from the vents when trying to fill. Have to be extra careful on the stiffer gas pumps that don't fill slowly. Maybe where some of the smell comes from?

Beautiful, but dangerous.
    Watch out for those blue Spyders!

Spyder Garage

I experience the same smell. I usually leave the garage door open for about 30 minutes. Usually there is no smell after that time.

Chris PE# 0004

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default gas smell

I get this also. Not as much as in the past but I'm not filling it all the way once the nozzles shuts off I only put maybe a little more in to round up the dollar amount ( I know it sounds weird ). Since I'm not topping off, I don't have the issue anymore. I turn the cap until it clicks and I give it another couple of turns, is that ok?

Spyder Garage

can smell gas.
    On the GS/RS there is a fuel vapor exhaust port. It operates when there is an over pressure situation with the fuel system. It is located on the right side of your Roadster under the air box. It is an electrically control purge valve.

-OBG

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
    I get this also. Not as much as in the past but I'm not filling it all the way once the nozzles shuts off I only put maybe a little more in to round up the dollar amount ( I know it sounds weird ). Since I'm not topping off, I don't have the issue anymore. I turn the cap until it clicks and I give it another couple of turns, is that ok?

I started getting the gas odor recently. Talked to my dealer about it.
    I was filling the gas tank up to the little holes above the inlet, then when it settled, I'd fill it some more. It seems I was overfilling it just a little bit. The extra gas goes into the evap cannister and that's what cuased the odor for me.

Since then I fillup the same way you do and I no longer have a problem.

None of this would be a problem if the bike had better range, because I wouldn't have the need to stuff in every available ounce of gas.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey