Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Summer Mesh Jackets --Pros/Cons

Ride with folks (some Spyder ryders and 2 wheelers) that are evenly dividied in their Summer riding attire--some wear mesh jackets while others like me wear t-shirt and vest. I know the old saying that you "dress for the wreck not the ride" sorta applies, but for the life of me, in spite of all the comments to the contrary, the mesh jackets look like they would be hot. Folks that wear them disagree, so let's see a show of hands--1) who wear mesh jackets in the Summer and 2) who wear t-shirts or other lite wear?

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Mesh Jacket

I have a Scorpion Cool Rod mesh jacket... I love it.
    It really is pretty close to wearing a t-shirt in terms of air flow once you start moving...it weighs more than a t-shirt but it has a removable wind proof liner and CE armor in the elbows and back....highly recommend it.

PLUS I just saw a HUGE sale on this jacket the other day for 1/3 of what I paid.
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pincushion View Post
    It really is pretty close to wearing a t-shirt in terms of air flow once you start moving...it weighs more than a t-shirt but it has a removable wind proof liner and CE armor in the elbows and back....highly recommend it.

PLUS I just saw a HUGE sale on this jacket the other day for 1/3 of what I paid.
    Yeah, I think I saw that same ad...frankly, that's what got me going on the mesh jacket issue. I'm tempted to buy one of those.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Motoport Ultramesh II
    I use this one in grey and black without the top pockets.
    It's Kevlar and won't fall apart if you hit the asphalt.
    Yet, if you hold it up to the light you can see thru it everywhere.
    Even the armor is perforated. Cool as long as you're moving.
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

I use a Fieldsheer mesh jacket that has an outer textile shell that zips on plus a liner for for colder weather. It's really good year round. Of course, being in SoCal we don't get extremes...only when we go looking for them.

Tripod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The wife and I both wear Firstgear mesh jackets we got from New Enough and like them. Like the others we agree they are warm (not hot) when stopped, but once underway they are comfortable. Not real hot here, but 90+ last Sunday and we were good for 1 1/2 hour ride.

Sam

Spyder Garage

My wife and I wear mesh when it is warm. To me, it is actually cooler than a T-shirt, because it shades you and keeps the sun from burning you. A friend from Florida turned me on to it, and I have nevr looked back. Love the stuff! I will admit to wearing shorts under the pants when it goes over 90 degrees, though. We have put our riding gear (solid textile) in our bags in the past, and have ridden "naked" when it the weather warmed up. It did little but make us nervous. You can't enjoy the ride if you are worried every minute. Dress for the slide, not for the ride!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Most of my gear is Firstgear. But I wear a Fieldsheer mesh jacket. Wouldn't even consider riding without armor on. Mesh keeps you plenty cool. Between the wind and the sun on bare skin, dehydration is a real risk. I stay cooler with mesh gear. Below say around 75 to 78 degrees I wear vented textile. ATGATT All The Gear All The Time
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    My wife and I wear mesh when it is warm. To me, it is actually cooler than a T-shirt, because it shades you and keeps the sun from burning you. A friend from Florida turned me on to it, and I have nevr looked back. Love the stuff! I will admit to wearing shorts under the pants when it goes over 90 degrees, though. We have put our riding gear (solid textile) in our bags in the past, and have ridden "naked" when it the weather warmed up. It did little but make us nervous. You can't enjoy the ride if you are worried every minute. Dress for the slide, not for the ride!

I for one was a t-shirt and sunblock rider.... Then with this RT purchase I was strong-armed into trying the Tourmaster "Flex". Man have I been missing out all these years!!!

We took them to Cali on our trip.. Every day there was 85f+. The first day out I refused to try... Got burned of course (Darn sunblock lies on the bottles!!!). That afternoon/evening I tried the mesh jacket (Outer shell and inner liner removed from the flex). And bam... I could no longer feel the efect of the sun hitting my sunburn!!!

I was amazed! As soon as you start moving down the road, withen minutes your cooler than you had been before you put on the mesh.

Very pleased, and use it every time now

Spyder Garage

Tourmaster Flex here also. Went to Mexico from central Wisconsin in August (Don't ask) and every day was over 100. Used a cooling vest under the mesh and it was tolerable. I'm an old fat guy so I definitely feel the heat but since I found the Flex and the vest, I'm golden.

Bob

Spyder Garage

We both wore leather ALL last summer on the Suzuki . . . but we've already discussed options for this Summer . . . Vaughn has a textile w/armor, and I just bought a Fieldsheer w/armor . . .
    so, we're movin' on up
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Wife wears a Firstgear mesh jacket and I have a Hein Geirke mesh jacket. We like them for riding when the weather hits the scorching 70's here in Alaska. We actually got to wear them on last nights club ride (75--a record for us). For both of us--its a safety gear issue. I would reather have some padding and protection against road rash if something bad were to happen. Helmets always of course.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Tourmaster Flex here also. Went to Mexico from central Wisconsin in August (Don't ask) and every day was over 100. Used a cooling vest under the mesh and it was tolerable. I'm an old fat guy so I definitely feel the heat but since I found the Flex and the vest, I'm golden.

Bob
    I just took a look at the Flex. Does it have 3 layers- liner, outer shell, and mesh with armor?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I can't wear my mesh until temps hit about 80 or more - otherwise I'm actually cool due to the forced air coming through the perforations which feels like an air conditioning vent turned on you. I have probably 7 or 8 mesh jackets - all styles and colors to mix and match with helmets and bikes, of course! But I love them all and would never dream of riding without the protection they offer.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been wearing a Firstgear mesh jacket every Summer for ten years now, It's amazing how it keeps you cool, and i might add a little margin of safety too. When your out there in the open you need a little more than skin to protect you! [guess how i know] I should have been wearing one 11 years ago.

Spyder Garage

We discovered Joe Rocket mesh in Montana when it was 106. we were MUCH cooler standing in the sun in BLACK mesh than in a white T-shirt!! ok, they don't have the protection of a full Stich or Leather, but have seen people who had get-offs wearing mesh: much better than just t-shirts. Always better to shred a jacket than to shred me!
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I wore my Firstgear mesh jacket today and it was 97 degrees with high humidity. I got pretty warm when stopped at traffic lights, as did my Spyder, but once I was moving again the temp became very tolerable. Last time I rode with a T-Shirt and sunscreen, I had a reaction to the darn sunscreen and my arms had little red pimple like things all over them. I won't be making that mistake again.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

We both have Joe Rocket Phoenix jackets. They are great. Zip out waterproof lining is good for winter around here. As long as you are moving, the jackets are cool.
    We just got some Fieldsheer 4 Seasons pants but haven't used them yet. Bound to be cooler than blue jeans with shorts under. Although we're dressing for the slide, I'm hoping that we've wasted our money.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile Summer Mesh

I'm too "chicken" to ride without protection. I always wore protective gear from the start and riding without at least a protective jacket (always) and back protector (when highway riding) would be like driving without a seatbelt (I would not feel comfortable).

I purchased the BRP Summer Mesh Jacket and Pants. Very satisfied with the jacket. It has a removable liner. The elbow and shoulder pads are sold separately. The pants are comfortable, but tailored for someone closer to 6' tall. I'm 5'5" and the pants are about 4" too long (hoping to grow into them...LOL).

Ride Safe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    I'm too "chicken" to ride without protection. I always wore protective gear from the start and riding without at least a protective jacket (always) and back protector (when highway riding) would be like driving without a seatbelt (I would not feel comfortable).

I purchased the BRP Summer Mesh Jacket and Pants. Very satisfied with the jacket. It has a removable liner. The elbow and shoulder pads are sold separately. The pants are comfortable, but tailored for someone closer to 6' tall. I'm 5'5" and the pants are about 4" too long (hoping to grow into them...LOL).

Ride Safe.
    I have the same problem with the Can-Am leather pants. I need to cuff them in order to not walk on them.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I looked at them all, and "settled" on Shift racing backdraft mesh. It comes with a liner but since the temps went up this week I took that out. The elbow shoulder and back padding are hardly noticeable. It got into the mid 80's this week and humidity pushing 70% at times. I was never hot...but very comfortable. Best accessory I've bought...so far.

Very happy with the Shift jacket and it matches the black tupperware.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I have the same problem with the Can-Am leather pants. I need to cuff them in order to not walk on them.
    I use to wear a leather jacket and leg covers (sorry CRS moment, and can't remember what they are called) when I rode my two-wheeler. I was told when I bought them that they are made long so you can hem to size.
    I found that leather was VERY hot, but cooled off while moving. I am going to look into this mesh jacket when I get my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pincushion View Post

I bought my mesh jacket from the NewEnough folks on a great sale...but dang the weather hasn't been nice enough to wear yet..still comfortable with Can-Am leathers that were part of my purchase package..but think the mesh will be wonderful when we finally start getting summer around here. I value this old (literally!!) hide of mine that I'll wear it even if hot...have a great Memorial weekend - hopefully you will get in lots of Spyder Ryding

Spyder Garage

I'm a t-shirt kinda gal and Hubby wears long sleeved shirts to keep from sun burning.

This thread is very informative. Think Hubby might have to try a mesh jacket. It will be cooler for him than a long sleeved shirt.

Glynn, great question!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

I wear a Firstgear mesh I got on sale for under $50 and my wife wears a matching one when she jumps on the back with me. Would not leave home without some protection on me.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com