Spyder Garage

Default "Rattling Windshield"

Ok, I know this has been discussed but I'm going to bring it up again.

I took the RT in last week for it's first oil change and inspection. One of the "rare" things I complained about was the darn rattle in the windsheild anytime you hit rough or uneven pavement. Someone had posted that they took the windsheild off and added felt washers between the shield and the mounting arm. I mentioned this to the dealer as a possible fix. They did throw in some rubber washers/o-rings, which helped, but it still rattles pretty good when you hit rough pavement, even when the windsheild is all the way down. Before I take it back again, does anyone know if BRP is looking at this and other than felt or rubber washers is there some other permanent fix for this problem? I just don't like hearing that rattling and I believe over time something is going to break or wear out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    Ok, I know this has been discussed but I'm going to bring it up again.

I took the RT in last week for it's first oil change and inspection. One of the "rare" things I complained about was the darn rattle in the windsheild anytime you hit rough or uneven pavement. Someone had posted that they took the windsheild off and added felt washers between the shield and the mounting arm. I mentioned this to the dealer as a possible fix. They did throw in some rubber washers/o-rings, which helped, but it still rattles pretty good when you hit rough pavement, even when the windsheild is all the way down. Before I take it back again, does anyone know if BRP is looking at this and other than felt or rubber washers is there some other permanent fix for this problem? I just don't like hearing that rattling and I believe over time something is going to break or wear out.
    I threw a fit about this months ago to my dealer, BRP and Carlo and as of today......

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

At this point, it really is the only issue I've had with my RT. If it's rattling that tells me that there is "relative" movement between components. Over time this is going to lead to wear and or a possible fatigue failure.

Spyder Garage

I posted the felt washer fix. But it was not between windshield and bracket.

What I have done is placed plastic washer from Lowe's, on the pin that holds the windshield mount to the bike.

Pull the "U" clip off the end of the three mounting pins. Pull the pin out and place one or two very thin plastic washers on the pin between the windshield mount and the bracket on the bike. Put back together.

My windshield no longer rattles and it does not vibrate as much as before.

If my description is not clear to you feel free to e-mail mbvljv@gmail.com

Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Mine does this as well. Dealer put some lubricant of some sort in the pins and it has helped a bit, but it still rattles on occasion. I take it in for an oil/filter change next week and I plan on brining the problem up again.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post

What I have done is placed plastic washer from Lowe's, on the pin that holds the windshield mount to the bike.

Pull the "U" clip off the end of the three mounting pins. Pull the pin out and place one or two very thin plastic washers on the pin between the windshield mount and the bracket on the bike. Put back together.

Hope this helps.
    Is it possible for you to post some pics....?

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

YES, post some pictures. I'v heard rattles in my RT and wasn't sure where it was comming from, just knew it was in front. I'll look at the windshield hardware and see it's the source. At any rate, POST SOME PICTURES of your fix.

Spyder Garage

I am unable to post pictures of fix. It very easy to put spacers between brackets on the pins.

The only thing I can do is talk to you on the phone. Call 540-292-0806.

Spyder Garage

Seabreeze's fix helped my rattling problem immensely. Thank You !!! I added a minor option to the fix using simple drinking straws. The straws I had happened to fit perectly. I cut three straws to the lenght from outside to outside the mount. I then sliced the straw and slid it onto the pin so there is plastic inside the mount. You could just as easily do this when you are adding the washers. I am disabled and thought of this afterwards, so it was easier for me to slit the straw. So, with no metal at all touching the mount, all rattling has stopped. Try it out and see if it works. BTW, I used clear straws as I did not want the candy cane look...

Maybe better than straws and to get an exact fit, try using some window tint or leftover clear covering material from the protective films for IPods, Phone, etc. You get an exact and non-moving solution that way. Hindsite is always 20-20 ?
    Last edited by murlaw703; 01-30-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Addition
    The Irish don't dance, they just hold each other up ! (I am Irish, so I can get away with saying that...)
    - David Feherty - AT&T Pebble Beach 2/9/12

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for this little tidbit!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just a thought on this, since it is a swivel point, any kind of restriction or resistance may not be a good thing.. Possibly a thin application of lubricant will help these ideas go a long way... I have the same issue, but only when the radio isn't on..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Plastic" washers were mentioned, but I think that a teflon version is available...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yes it rattles.

AND the pivot arm eventually breaks.

I had mine replaced under warranty, but I am not convinced the new part is any different than the one that failed.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am still waiting for a new bracket under warranty - Took my Spyder in 7th Dec to have some other work done
    Just after the new year advised the Bracket was on BACK ORDER - Have collected by Spyder RT and secured the Windshield until
    the Bracket is in and the Dealer can replace it

Have considered using S/S Bolts Washers and Lock nuts in place of the Pins and Clip - The Stainless Steel bolt is unthreaded the same
    length as the Pins and 8mm Diameter same as the pins - Not sure if this is a good idear - I dont think the clip holds the Pins secure enough allowing the bracket to slide from side to side

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Spyder Garage

Maybe rubber washers would work better than plastic and they would provide better insulation for vibration. I have seen these somewhere but cannot remember the store or application they were made for ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "Plastic" washers were mentioned, but I think that a teflon version is available...
    The Irish don't dance, they just hold each other up ! (I am Irish, so I can get away with saying that...)
    - David Feherty - AT&T Pebble Beach 2/9/12