Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Air Suspension Compressor

I noticed today that the compressor for the rear suspension seems to run for 1 to 2 seconds every 10 to 15 seconds. This seems a bit excessive to me, do I need to get the dealer to check it out at the 600 mile service next week or is this normal?

Thanks
    John

2010 Spyder RT-S
    2010 Yamaha vMax
    2009 Yamaha vMax Dragbike, 284 RWHP 171# RWTQ
    2004 Yamaha vMax Supercharged
    1993 Yamaha GTS1000
    1999 Shelby Series 1 Supercharged
    1969 Camaro 502/T56
    1967 Shelby TransAm Mustang
    1966 427 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 289 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 427 Shelby Comp Cobra
    1964 289 Shelby Comp Cobra
    Way Too Many Others

Spyder Garage

I would have it checked. It never hurts to ask the dealer. There have been a few reports of leaking air systems.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I asked mine the same question and he stated that it is suppose to do this. This keeps the air suspension at what you set it at if you have an RT-S. I am not sure about the regular shock. Ours does the "space ship thing" regularly but I don't believe it is every 10-15 seconds.

Have them check it out since he also said that there are some that have had a leak and there is a fix for it. He asked me if when I start the bike does it have to pump up the rear shock? Mine was no!

Hope this helps! Others would know better then me, just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CSX4350 View Post
    I noticed today that the compressor for the rear suspension seems to run for 1 to 2 seconds every 10 to 15 seconds. This seems a bit excessive to me, do I need to get the dealer to check it out at the 600 mile service next week or is this normal?

Thanks
    Chezeburger
    2010 - Orbital Blue RT-S
    2003 - Yamaha V-Star 1100
    2012 - White RT-S Limited added 4/30/13

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Mine does this...I was told it is normal.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    John - something amiss here- The compressor should run long enough to reset the ride height, it may cycle on and off a few times or convertly blow off pressure (pfffffft-pffffft) a few times to set the correct ride height , then its done. On the non RTS models you manually fill the shock bladder with the schrader valve under the seat, all the compressor does is take a look at ride height and do it for you. Once the shock bladder is filled to the correct PSI , there is no designed leak or loss and it should stay. If it isn't , thats the issue and why your compressor runs like that. If it cycles on and off consistantly you most likely (definately) have a leak in the system. My understanding is that this is a known issue and a service bulletin is imminent to the dealers. My further understanding is this is symptomatic on "some" early production RT's and due to a fitting on the airline connection that is oversized and is allowing air to escape.
    My RTS was produced in April and the compressor runs usually when I first start or after my wife joins me on the back or gets off. Thats it. I'd have your dealer contact BRP and let them know.
    Last edited by widowmaker2011; 05-21-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. When I take vehicles in for warranty service I have a bad history of being told that "that's normal", so I'm trying to figure out what is and isn't normal before I take it in.

This problem is even weirder than I originally thought, mainly due to my hearing not being very good. Too many firefights over the years have left me with a serious case of tinitis.

The compressor runs then the shock bleeds the air off, compressor runs again and the shock bleeds the air off again, ad nauseum. Something is obviously desperately in need of adjustment.

Spyder Garage

If they try to sluff you off with "That's normal!", make them prove it by showing you how it works the same on their demo.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!