Thread: oil light

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default oil light

Has anyone had a problem with their oil light coming on and staying on until the bike goes into limp mode. The dealer says they cannot get a code to tell them why it happened. I have a 2009 sypder tourister SE5.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder woman View Post
    Has anyone had a problem with their oil light coming on and staying on until the bike goes into limp mode. The dealer says they cannot get a code to tell them why it happened. I have a 2009 sypder tourister SE5.
    welcome
    I think a few Spyders had bad oil pressure sensors.?

Spyder Garage

In the absence of a code, the problem is likely actual low oil pressure. The dealer should run a wet oil pressure test, as shown in the service manual. If that is OK, then there are more tests they can run on the system. If the oil pressure test fails, there is likely serious engine damage.

You should not start or ride your Spyder until this is resolved!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you press and hold the mode, set, and turn signal cancel buttons at the same time you should see a code... like P 0524

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave711 View Post
    If you press and hold the mode, set, and turn signal cancel buttons at the same time you should see a code... like P 0524

On the RS and GS that would be:

Turn the spyder off.
    Turn it on again, but do not start it.
    Click the mode button until you come to 'HOURS' on the cluster.
    push and HOLD both mode and the hi-beam switch on the RIGHT side of the handle bars. Then, with both button held, flick the hi-beam switch on the LEFT side handle bars 5 times in two seconds.

On the cluster you will get a code, or 'no active faults', scroll across.
    If you get a code, take this code to the dealer. If you do not, I suggest having the dealer check into the tests that Scotty mentioned above.

Cheers and good luck and feel free to keep us updated on the issue.

Spyder Garage

Mine did it three times last Sunday, twice just after I filled with gas and the third time after I got home and removed and reinstalled the gas cap. I think the gas cap issue was just a freak accident and I tried to pull the code and had none. If I remember right when a friends Spyder did this the error code would only appear when the fault was occurring. I suspect mine is the oil pressure sensor however I can't get it to repeat. Does anyone know if BUDS stores historic codes like most systems to where the dealer can pull up previous errors.
    Happy Owner

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    Mine did it three times last Sunday, twice just after I filled with gas and the third time after I got home and removed and reinstalled the gas cap. I think the gas cap issue was just a freak accident and I tried to pull the code and had none. If I remember right when a friends Spyder did this the error code would only appear when the fault was occurring. I suspect mine is the oil pressure sensor however I can't get it to repeat. Does anyone know if BUDS stores historic codes like most systems to where the dealer can pull up previous errors.
    The gas cap was probably because when you gas up your engine is off.
    Then when you start the engine if the oil sensor is not working properly
    the oil light will come on. Sometimes a bad sensor will give erratic reading's
    until it finely gives out completely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    Yes, BUDS can read historic (inactive) codes, as long as the battery power has not been disconnected to clear them, BUDS has not cleared them, or the available memory has not been exceeded. A sensor indication without a code is usually an actual problem, not a sensor malfunction.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I had this issue- light stays on and limp mode. After going thru this forum and internet searches- I tried simply replacing the oil sensor. It worked- light out, no limp and runs fine. A side bonus, not sure why, but my 'check transmission' light would occasionally come on forcing me to downshift then upshift to get it to go off- that no longer comes on either. Don't know if they are connected in any way, but I like it!!