Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Questions/Initial Problems

I am in the process of making a list of things to be addressed at my 600 mile service next week, and have a few questions.

Just above the 0 on the tachometer is the writing RPM X1000. Is this supposed to be lit like the writing on the speedometer?

Anyone else have problems with the cruise control just quitting? It stays on but it's like I hit the brake pedal. It only seems to happen when I hit a bump, possibly the brake pedal bouncing just enough to kill the cruise?

Has anyone found a reason/fix for the gas smell? It started on mine and is getting worse by the day.

TIA

John
    Last edited by CSX4350; 05-18-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    John

2010 Spyder RT-S
    2010 Yamaha vMax
    2009 Yamaha vMax Dragbike, 284 RWHP 171# RWTQ
    2004 Yamaha vMax Supercharged
    1993 Yamaha GTS1000
    1999 Shelby Series 1 Supercharged
    1969 Camaro 502/T56
    1967 Shelby TransAm Mustang
    1966 427 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 289 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 427 Shelby Comp Cobra
    1964 289 Shelby Comp Cobra
    Way Too Many Others

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CSX4350 View Post
    Anyone else have problems with the cruise control just quitting? It stays on but it's like I hit the brake pedal. It only seems to happen when I hit a bump, possibly the brake pedal bouncing just enough to kill the cruise?
    I suppose it would be possible for it to be a bouncing brake pedal, but nobody else seems to have noticed it. More likely your foot is so close to the brake that you inadvertently hit it a little on the bumps. It barely needs to move to release the cruise.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have not had cruise control cancel uncommanded. I use it all the time on the freeway.

Chris

Spyder Garage

my cruise control also sometimes cancels on a rough road it was doing it on smooth pavement as well but has stopped that now .had it in to dealer but no fault was found said they couldnt find afault .i know my foot isnt near brake pedal when it happens

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It could also be the clutch switch... never had just shut off...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So the little

RPM
    X1000

Does not light up? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to complain about a burned out bulb on that one.

Thanks for the other replies.

Quote Originally Posted by hdmod View Post
    That RPM light always baffled me 2.

Gas smell is a mystery-----stronger toward Mississippi and Florida
    John

2010 Spyder RT-S
    2010 Yamaha vMax
    2009 Yamaha vMax Dragbike, 284 RWHP 171# RWTQ
    2004 Yamaha vMax Supercharged
    1993 Yamaha GTS1000
    1999 Shelby Series 1 Supercharged
    1969 Camaro 502/T56
    1967 Shelby TransAm Mustang
    1966 427 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 289 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 427 Shelby Comp Cobra
    1964 289 Shelby Comp Cobra
    Way Too Many Others

Invalid Emails
    Eastern Québec, Canada, Earth, Solar System
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hdmod View Post
    Gas smell is a mystery-----stronger toward Mississippi and Florida

Yep, mine does smell like fuel sometimes between 1530 and 2130, every other day, but not on Fridays or Mondays, if it rained the day before. On Wednesdays, it only smells when the mailman is late, but sometimes when my cat meows, and then only on Saturdays.

Diagnose that BRP.

On the other hand, the SE5 has stalled from 2nd to 1st 5 times in 2000 kms. Next oil change, I'll have the clutch serviced as per the bulletin.

Other than that, I love my

V.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I love mine too, and little problems are to be expected on any new vehicle. I'd almost be worried if I didn't have any problems.

That being said the gas smell does worry me a bit. I don't need a fire in my motorcycle shed, there's two barrels of VP 110 and two barrels of 100 octane racing fuel out there. A fire would really suck.....

Spyder Garage

I am in the process of making a list of things to be addressed at my 600 mile service next week, and have a few questions.

Just above the 0 on the tachometer is the writing RPM X1000. Is this supposed to be lit like the writing on the speedometer?

Has anyone found a reason/fix for the gas smell? It started on mine and is getting worse by the day.

TIA

John
    My cruise often quits too, even on smooth roads. I'm not happy with the cruise at all. The cruise control switch has been replaced because of difficulty in engaging the cruise, but it still requires three or four attempts to get the thing to work. And, I don't like having to downshift to third gear and stay there (SE 5 tranny) to cruise at 35mph.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am also a new Spyder owner just hitting 600 miles. My RPM word does not light up; perhaps my is nonfunctional. My cruise will some times kick off if going up a steep grade at low speeds. I have an additional question as a new owner, there is a warning on the command center that comes on if the trunk or saddle bags are open; however, it doesn't come on if the frunk is open. Should there be a warning if the frunk is a jar?

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Default Perceived shortcomings

I guessI may be too easygoing when it comes to my RT-S. I rode too many years without cruise etc. to be too critical. My cruise does shut off at times on bumpy roads and interstates, but doesn't bother me that much, because I hit "Resume" and continue on. As I understand it , the charging system needs RPMs to maintain a positive charge, thus the cruise shuts off when it drops below certain parameters.
    My feelings are that if an individual doesn't see the frunk lid moving around without a warning light to tell them that it isn't secure, it may not be the best time to be taking a ride. Just my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ron View Post
    I am also a new Spyder owner just hitting 600 miles. My RPM word does not light up; perhaps my is nonfunctional. My cruise will some times kick off if going up a steep grade at low speeds. I have an additional question as a new owner, there is a warning on the command center that comes on if the trunk or saddle bags are open; however, it doesn't come on if the frunk is open. Should there be a warning if the frunk is a jar?
    The rpm word does not light up. Conversely the mph or kph does illuminate to indicate english or metric.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

TIA

John
    First let me apologies for highjacking someone else's thread, and thank you for the answer on the RPM x 1000 since I had the same question. As for the cruise control perhaps it may seem like whinnying to some here. However, I felt the original posting had a fair question. I have not had the issue that he had with his unit. However, as stated my cruise control does not cutting/kicking off secondary to ruff road. But as stated it has kicked off a low speeds on steep terrain. Now there is still the question about the frunk. Is there suppose to be a warning on the command center if it is a jar? I just want to make sure everything that I paid for is function correctly. It only made sense to me that there would be such a warning, since there is a warning for the saddle bags and trunk. Additionally, it is 180 mile round trip to the dealer for me and I want to maximize my time on the road and not in the shop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ron View Post
    First let me apologies for highjacking someone else's thread, and thank you for the answer on the RPM x 1000 since I had the same question. As for the cruise control perhaps it may seem like whinnying to some here. However, I felt the original posting had a fair question. I have not had the issue that he had with his unit. However, as stated my cruise control does not cutting/kicking off secondary to ruff road. But as stated it has kicked off a low speeds on steep terrain. Now there is still the question about the frunk. Is there suppose to be a warning on the command center if it is a jar? I just want to make sure everything that I paid for is function correctly. It only made sense to me that there would be such a warning, since there is a warning for the saddle bags and trunk. Additionally, it is 180 mile round trip to the dealer for me and I want to maximize my time on the road and not in the shop.
    I cannot say with certainty, not knowing the programming involved, but looking at the wiring diagram it appars that only the rear luggage is monitored. I know my RTS frunk does not warn if open, and the RS trunk does not either (no switch). No real need for a warning. The wind holds the frunk down if it is not latched. It might leak water, but will cause no damage. If you wonder about it, it won't hurt you to ask your dealer for a clarification.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!