Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

i guess we will have to wait and see if it happens a few more times, then just maybe, it might be the time to talk about it. Or we can just sit around and bitch about who did or didn't get a 5k mile/Km pin, which is obviously more important and interesting topic around here. Now that is a serious real-world topic to bring to the attention of BRP.

Seriously what is the magic number of reported incidents incidents or mysterious deaths, before it becomes a serious topic? Do we just call them all driver fatigue, alcohol related, or excesive speed. We have to as we have no other choice, cause you dingbats want to sweep it under the rug.

I guess the Toyota owners were just driving too fast and trainded the gas pedals to stick cause they were fatigued and had a cocktail. WTF people!

BTW - why is it always the same forum natzis telling people what to talk about around here?
    J

Mods -
    TBR Dual polished, Juice Box, Robobracket/MadStad wind shield, Kuraykan ISO grips, Throttle Boss, and Kewl-Metal Helmet lock ends, Kewl-Metal Mirror extensions, Evoluzione Power Bus & Sway Bar, Green perfromance filter, wrapped pipes, Spyder Passenger bag, Full Gerbing heated/armored suit, Gerbing gloves and insoles, Ball bearings in the bars, pigtail for heated gear, spring for trunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsmiley View Post
    i guess we will have to wait and see if it happens a few more times, then just maybe, it might be the time to talk about it. Or we can just sit around and bitch about who did or didn't get a 5k mile/Km pin, which is obviously more important and interesting topic around here. Now that is a serious real-world topic to bring to the attention of BRP.

Seriously what is the magic number of reported incidents incidents or mysterious deaths, before it becomes a serious topic? Do we just call them all driver fatigue, alcohol related, or excesive speed. We have to as we have no other choice, cause you dingbats want to sweep it under the rug.

I guess the Toyota owners were just driving too fast and trainded the gas pedals to stick cause they were fatigued and had a cocktail. WTF people!

BTW - why is it always the same forum natzis telling people what to talk about around here?
    EXCUSE ME?? You can take that attitude elsewhere. This thread is about a person who DIED... not about mechanical failures, finger pointing, etc, etc...

Please help keep the threads clean and on-topic. There are plenty of other places to make these sorts of posts.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    EXCUSE ME?? You can take that attitude elsewhere. This thread is about a person who DIED... not about mechanical failures, finger pointing, etc, etc...

Please help keep the threads clean and on-topic. There are plenty of other places to make these sorts of posts.

Yeah your right, why would we want to even remotely consider a design flaw which has almost killed several members of this site when someone flys off an onramp. That would be completely out of place and uncalled for seeing as someone died under circumstances that could be caused by the same flaw. That was just silly and insensitive of me. I wonder how the family feels about it.... Yes, Im sorry miss, but your son flew off the overpass cause he was most likley drinking, driving to fast or was just tired. It is not at all possible his equipment failed...

Further, why would we want to hear the voices of all members when a few can just try to dominate threads and tell others what to talk about and where to talk about it constantly.

Grow up people......
    J

Mods -
    TBR Dual polished, Juice Box, Robobracket/MadStad wind shield, Kuraykan ISO grips, Throttle Boss, and Kewl-Metal Helmet lock ends, Kewl-Metal Mirror extensions, Evoluzione Power Bus & Sway Bar, Green perfromance filter, wrapped pipes, Spyder Passenger bag, Full Gerbing heated/armored suit, Gerbing gloves and insoles, Ball bearings in the bars, pigtail for heated gear, spring for trunk.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

pitbull

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yeah your right, why would we want to even remotely consider a design flaw which has almost killed several members of this site when someone flys off an onramp. That would be completely out of place and uncalled for seeing as someone died under circumstances that could be caused by the same flaw. That was just silly and insensitive of me. I wonder how the family feels about it.... Yes, Im sorry miss, but your son flew off the overpass cause he was most likley drinking, driving to fast or was just tired. It is not at all possible his equipment failed...

Further, why would we want to hear the voices of all members when a few can just try to dominate threads and tell others what to talk about and where to talk about it constantly.

Grow up people......
    I kind of agree with you smiley about equipment part. I wish ther was more info, i find it hard to figure out how it ended up the the way it did.

dont know about the helmet laws where he was,, but best wishes to the family.

Spyder Garage

Grow up people......
    It would be nice if you would take the time to get the facts straight before jumping to your own conclusions about mechanical failures when the results of the investigation have not been posted yet. This was a 2010 RS Spyder. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has reported a steering malfunction on a 2010 RS up to this date.

There are way too many factors involved in this for anyone to jump to conclusions about the cause. Another fact is there is nothing straight about the interchange he was ryding on in the first place. So, the statement in the article about the Spyder kept going straight while he was trying to turn is also speculation on the reporters part. The fact the accident occurred at 3:00 in the morning may have also played a part.

However, this is all heresay unless you were a witness to the actual events in question. From what I can tell, there were no witnesses or at least none that have come forward so far.

I also believe in freedom of speech, and you are free to say what you would like; however, I also take great offense at you referring to some members as forum Nazis. Fact is I served in the military in order for you to be able to keep that right, and am the furthest thing from a Nazi you will ever come across. However, there are plenty of threads to talk about a possible mechanical failure or you always have the option of starting another one.

Debating about the many possible causes of the crash without facts on this thread, will serve no purpose except to get the thread closed as it continues to get way out of hand. Personal attacks and flame wars serve no purpose here.

I also find it strange that no where in your "concerned" posting did you offer any condolences of any type. Just what is your intended purpose in this thread?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post
    I kind of agree with you smiley about equipment part. I wish ther was more info, i find it hard to figure out how it ended up the the way it did.

dont know about the helmet laws where he was,, but best wishes to the family.
    SC is a helmet optional state. Since he was 27 he was of age to make his own decision, as anyone under 21 has to wear a helmet. The reports I have seen so far do not even state whether he was wearing a helmet or not when this happened.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

+Or perhaps we can each wheel around on our personally designed rock wheels and when we collide, immediately summon Grog the lawyer.

As a percentage of the vehicular population, these things will be involved in crashes.

As a percentage of the crashers, some of us will either be in over our heads or otherwise impaired before we leave the roadway, especially at 2:25 a.m. on a bad turn.

Those are items I wish we didn't need to discuss but here we are.

Technology shouldn't slow its progress due to this event and an as-yet unearned implication of failure, nor should the brand suffer indignant accusations.

I truly feel for the family, and simply hope it was nothing more than an accident.

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

It would be more appropriate for those interested in debating the possible DPS problems to start a new thread, but frankly this has been rehashed to death. Everyone knows there's a handful out here that are ready to burn BRP at the stake, and those that will defend them.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It would be more appropriate for those interested in debating the possible DPS problems to start a new thread, but frankly this has been rehashed to death. Everyone knows there's a handful out here that are ready to burn BRP at the stake, and those that will defend them.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    SC is a helmet optional state. Since he was 27 he was of age to make his own decision, as anyone under 21 has to wear a helmet. The reports I have seen so far do not even state whether he was wearing a helmet or not when this happened.
    He was NOT wearing a helmet. I read this in the Charlotte paper online.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

It would be nice if you would take the time to get the facts straight before jumping to your own conclusions about mechanical failures when the results of the investigation have not been posted yet. This was a 2010 RS Spyder. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has reported a steering malfunction on a 2010 RS up to this date.

There are way too many factors involved in this for anyone to jump to conclusions about the cause. Another fact is there is nothing straight about the interchange he was ryding on in the first place. So, the statement in the article about the Spyder kept going straight while he was trying to turn is also speculation on the reporters part. The fact the accident occurred at 3:00 in the morning may have also played a part.

However, this is all heresay unless you were a witness to the actual events in question. From what I can tell, there were no witnesses or at least none that have come forward so far.

I also believe in freedom of speech, and you are free to say what you would like; however, I also take great offense at you referring to some members as forum Nazis. Fact is I served in the military in order for you to be able to keep that right, and am the furthest thing from a Nazi you will ever come across. However, there are plenty of threads to talk about a possible mechanical failure or you always have the option of starting another one.

Debating about the many possible causes of the crash without facts on this thread, will serve no purpose except to get the thread closed as it continues to get way out of hand. Personal attacks and flame wars serve no purpose here.

I also find it strange that no where in your "concerned" posting did you offer any condolences of any type. Just what is your intended purpose in this thread?
    Before I even read the post from Way2fast and the subsequent "take it to another thread rhetoric" response, I thought of the DPS issue and said a prayer for the ryder.

Not to be insensitive, but he is gone and there are other ryders alive with steering issues, some which will not realize it until it is too late. This could be a case of that very scenario.

What I am saying in my posts, to boil it down for ya -

- Why do so many automatically jump to ryder fault and simultaneously dismiss the ongoing issues? When as you stated nothing is known yet. I concur, but am not willing to ignore the obvious as others do.

- What gives people the right to tell others that they should not discuss DPS in a thread when somone runs off a road? This just baffles me. We should all take note of this and be cautious.
    J

Mods -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    He was NOT wearing a helmet. I read this in the Charlotte paper online.
    Thanks for that added information. I have not found an article yet that states any more details.

Here is another vague one though: http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=12491553

Would you happen to have a link to the Charlotte article?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I do think it would be in the best interest of the family to have the remains of the bike in ther possession instead of brp's..

an independent body might be able to determine the state of the bike in the last few moments if the "buds" is still accessible.

Spyder Garage

Before I even read the post from Way2fast and the subsequent "take it to another thread rhetoric" response, I thought of the DPS issue and said a prayer for the ryder.

Not to be insensitive, but he is gone and there are other ryders alive with steering issues, some which will not realize it until it is too late. This could be a case of that very scenario.

- Why do so many automatically jump to ryder fault and simultaneously dismiss the ongoing issues? When as you stated nothing is known yet. I concur, but am not willing to ignore the obvious as others do.

- What gives people the right to tell others that they should not discuss DPS in a thread when somone runs off a road? This just baffles me. We should all take note of this and be cautious.

Big difference between 'being told' and 'requesting' to take something to another thread.

FYI--- my opinions on this matter are based 100% on statistics.... and logic.. which says less than 2% of such accidents are due to mechanical failure. Certainly this unfortunate accident could fall in the 2%, but without facts to back it up-- it's a long-shot from a statistical viewpoint.

Fact of the matter is most accidents are just that-- accidents--- and most are due to operator error.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I understand your points as well. The fact is we need to be cautious all the time whether we have a steering issue or not, as many things could potentially happen to us. We are not in a cage, and the slightest ryder error or mechanical failure could spell disaster at any time. Not too mention the fact we all need to keep an eye on the cagers at the same time.

This just happened in Myrtle Beach (Rider died passenger taken to hospital): http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=12478766

Meanwhile, this was a double fatality of two motorcyclists on separate bikes when a SUV rear ended them:
    http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...8/doublefatal/

The car crash fatalities may be decreasing due to all of the safety features they now have to make standard in the cars, but it is definitely not getting any safer for the riders out there.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

"They're burying the kid that got killed in my plane.

- What happened to him?
    - He got killed.

- What?
    - I said he got killed.

I'm sorry.

- He was your friend?
    - Maybe. I don't know.

- He was very old.
    - But he was a boy.

He died.
    You don't get any older than that."

"Catch 22", Joseph Heller.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Grow up people......

Well, I don't often comment about comments, but I feel like I have to on yours. You seem to accuse others who have expressed that this accident may have been caused by speeding, etc., as covering up for what you think is the steering problem. For one, no one has said the young man was speeding, just stating that the accident may have been caused by going excessively fast. I certainly wasn't there to see it happen, neither was anyone else. And neither can you say for certain that the steering malfunctioned. Several factors could have caused the accident: experience (or lack of), speeding, any momentary distraction that could cause the slightest hesitation in control that could throw the dynamics of the turn, just to mention a few. With over 40 years on street motorcycles with over 400,000 accident-free and ticket-free miles (except one slight fender-bender at about 5 mph) I have heard of many accidents and have known several who have died in motorcycle accidents. No accident is without a cause. People who investigate accidents come to a conclusion as to the cause. Too many times people on forums attempt to influence others by trying to sound like experts on matters that they know nothing of. In any accident where someone dies, the biggest tragedy is the lost of life. No conclusive result as to why can ever bring back the life of a loved one.
    And, by the way, I find offensive your use of stand alone letters to refer to vulgarity. Listen to what you told us "Grow up people" and do a little "growing up" yourself.
    Last edited by Dudley; 05-18-2010 at 11:50 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Grow up people......
    Well if you are so scared of the Spyder's flaws, then why do you still have yours?
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

When a fellow rider is killed on his motorcycle my heart feels heavy with sadness and loss because we all share a bond born of the love and joy of riding tempered by the danger and risk inherent in the sport. We all understand that none of us are ever very far from catastrophe ourselves.

I have made mistakes while riding my motorcycles which could easily have been fatal. I also have experienced circumstances not of my doing which could have been fatal. Either way the result would be the same. I don’t know what happened to my brother rider on that overpass, early one morning, but I do know that it could have been me.

I offer my most sincere condolences to the family and friends of my brother. I am deeply sorry for their loss.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for that added information. I have not found an article yet that states any more details.

Here is another vague one though: http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=12491553

Would you happen to have a link to the Charlotte article?
    Unfortunately he wasn't wearing a helmet, here's the link:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2.../18/18briefly/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Unfortunately he wasn't wearing a helmet, here's the link:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2.../18/18briefly/
    Thanks for posting this link as well. Not sure the helmet would have helped, but you never know.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Smile

Ok ok everybody calm down no name calling lets all just take a wait and see attitude. I'am sure we will learn more in a few days. We all have a vested interest in this so we will wait and see. Think about the loss of life here.

Roger

Spyder Garage

Please show some respect for this young mans friends and family. None of us know any facts as to why this young man died such a tragic death. I did some digging and all I could find was he was a well loved and ambitious young man who ran a delivery business delivery food for high class restaurants. As of right now this business is shut down until further notice.
    http://www.charlestondelivers.com