Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Bouncing Fuel Gauge

Does anyone know if there is a service bulletin or something I can use to convince my dealer that the bouncing gas gauge is NOT normal. They are telling me that they ALL do it... I explained that it only started when I filled it up for it's second tank full.

I have read on here that there is a warranty fix to repair it... can someone please point me to the information so I can tell the dealer?

(It is in the shop to repair the clutch issue and since those parts are on backorder, it is going to be there another 1-2 weeks...)

Thanks!

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Tell (insist) your Dealer to call brp. brp is well aware of the problem and it's wide spread. Mine was replaced during the 600 mile service (2 months ago) and has worked well. The first RTs had a fuel gauge that lacked some key part (probaly a diode) and that caused the gauge to bounce as the fuel tank levels changed during movement. The diode dampens the signal from the sending unit in the tank giving you an even reading. Good Luck.

Spyder Garage

Had the same problem. Dealer indicated that BRP was aware of the problem and replaced my original bouncy one with a new one that's straight on. Your dealer should be aware of BRP's position on replacement.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much for that info!

I just called the dealer and read your threads to him and he said "wow, I didn't know that" and said he would call BRP back. Well, it is Monday, and tech support is closed, so we will see what they tell him tomorrow.

You would think that BRP would keep their tech support open and running on Mondays when they know that there are widespread issues on their machines that need warranty repair, if they are not going to recall them!

I want my Big Blue back!!

Spyder Garage

Not all owners have experienced the "bouncing gage" problem. If your dealer tries to tell you that they all do it, he's blowing smoke. I've had my RT for about 6 weeks now, and have 750 miles on it, no gage problems at all.

Spyder Garage

Or you can just disconnect it and a digital gauge will appear. Use that space for a voltage meter or oil pressure gauge.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHTRIDER View Post
    Or you can just disconnect it and a digital gauge will appear. Use that space for a voltage meter or oil pressure gauge.
    hi,
    could you explain a bit more please...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As I understand it, both the Analog Fuel and Water Temp Gauges must be disconnected in order for them to appear Digitally. You can't just disconnect one. Again, that's how I understand it. Remember, the Base Model RT doesn't have analog gauges.

Read Previous Post from spyder_RT from 03/22/2010.

well I did it today tried to disconnect just the temp gauge it would not work you have to do both or none that is just weird
    Last edited by tea6638; 05-18-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have replaced mine with a Volt Meter and a Clock. I found the digital clock to hard to read. They both look great. I used the exsisting wires, power and earth to power the volt meter (not the fuel sensor wire) and the power wire for the gauge ligth and all works well. Same for the clock, just ran a wire back to the battery for constant power.
    Danny

2010 RT-S PE103 replacement
    Life maybe short, but death is longer. One day at a time.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Replaced mine

Replaced my Fuel gauge with a Voltage gauge and the Engine Temperature gauge with an Oil Pressure Gauge. Both units are Teleflex Morse Signature Series gauges with a chrome bezels and brushed aluminum face plates.
    I like the digital displays for the fuel and engine temperature much better on the display screen.

For those with sharp eyes, please excuse the picture of the OPG on the right. I hadn't hooked up the sending unit to the OPG when this picture was taken so that is why it isn't registering with the engine running.

Spyder Garage

Just spoke to the dealer again and they ARE replacing the fuel gauge... BUT, the parts are on back-order!!! They have no date for when they will be in stock.

Between that and the clutch repair (parts backordered as well), maybe I will have my Spyder back by 4th of July!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Replaced my Fuel gauge with a Voltage gauge and the Engine Temperature gauge with an Oil Pressure Gauge. Both units are Teleflex Morse Signature Series gauges with a chrome bezels and brushed aluminum face plates.
    I like the digital displays for the fuel and engine temperature much better on the display screen.

For those with sharp eyes, please excuse the picture of the OPG on the right. I hadn't hooked up the sending unit to the OPG when this picture was taken so that is why it isn't registering with the engine running.
    hi, where did you buy them from?
    thanks,
    CD.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tenfour57 View Post
    Just spoke to the dealer again and they ARE replacing the fuel gauge... BUT, the parts are on back-order!!! They have no date for when they will be in stock.

Between that and the clutch repair (parts backordered as well), maybe I will have my Spyder back by 4th of July!!
    Got mine back today with the replacement fuel gauge. It is very stable, with no rapid swings...just slow movement as the gas sloshes around in the tank, sometimes. I think you will be pleased. No idea if the accuracy has improved, as yet.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Got mine back today with the replacement fuel gauge. It is very stable, with no rapid swings...just slow movement as the gas sloshes around in the tank, sometimes. I think you will be pleased. No idea if the accuracy has improved, as yet.
    How's the handling and what did they do to fix it?

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    How's the handling and what did they do to fix it?

Handling is super! I know some of what was done (alignment) but have not had time to read the full five page report yet.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gauges

Bought mine from a local Marine Store. They ordered them for me from a Teleflex Morse distributor. Mine are the Signature Series. Here is a link to the Teleflex site if you are looking for part numbers. The oil pressure unit will also require a sending unit rated for 80 psi and brass 1/8 female long nipple and 1/8 male Tee fittings to hook into the oil pressure switch housing.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/docume...002_5_1053.pdf

if you have any questions just send me a PM

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My dealer told me that he talked to BRP and the replacement is a new tank with a dampener, not a new gauge. Need to ask Carlo about that one, I guess.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BHawksworth View Post
    My dealer told me that he talked to BRP and the replacement is a new tank with a dampener, not a new gauge. Need to ask Carlo about that one, I guess.
    I don't know, the new gauge seems to have cured mine.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default My bouncing gauge finally showed up

I had read about all the bouncing gauges, and thought I got lucky...Nope after my fourth fillup it bounces and sways all over. Curious as to why it waited on four tanks to appear.
    Cheers Tony
    Facta Non Verba
    2010 RT-S SE5 PE 368

Spyder Garage

My dealer FINALLY got all the parts in. Evidently it isn't just a new gauge and it is a major "take apart" kind of repair. With that, and the new clutch parts being replaced, I should have my spyder back early next week!

It has been SIX weeks in the shop and I have only owned it for SEVEN weeks. Less than 100 miles, too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tenfour57 View Post

My dealer took on off the show room one and put it in for me

RT-S PE#0793
    Spyder Garage

My gas gauge was rock solid until 850 miles. Found out what everyone was saying about the gauge bouncing all over the place. Told the dealer, who then contacted BRP about it. They said that the first 500 bikes had the defective gauge and that since mine is #793 I didn't have a problem. Had to call BRP myself, and they then agreed that I had the problem. Contacted the dealer again, who said I would have to leave the bike there for several days for them to diagnose the problem. I said no thanks. A volt meter now resides in place of the gas gauge and an oil pressure gauge in place of the temp gauge. I liked the gauges, but I am just as happy with this set-up.
    Steve

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The dealer told me that BRP told him that a gas gauge to fix the problem is not available - that that it will be fixed when the revised gas tank is released.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I don't know, the new gauge seems to have cured mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BHawksworth View Post
    The dealer told me that BRP told him that a gas gauge to fix the problem is not available - that that it will be fixed when the revised gas tank is released.
    The new, revised gauge was a sure cure for mine. I suspect some problems are different. A bad gauge should be bad from the beginning. You can still see mine bounce slowly, due to the lack of baffling in the tank, but it is well dampened, so it moves ever so slowly, like most autos. It is also far more accurate.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I too got tired of the bouncing Fuel Gauge, and never could tell how much gas I had left.

Replaced mine with a Volt Meter Gauge and Oil Presure Gauge
    (all black)
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com