Spyder Garage

Default Oil over filled by one quart from dealer!

We took delivery on our new orbital blue RTS SE5 this afternoon and the dealer assured us everything was checked out by their assembly mechanic. I even had the mechanic show me how to remove the panel to check the oil but did not actually pull the dip stick. After a 20 mile ride from the dealers back home I pulled it into the garage and let it idle for about a minute, shut down the engine, and unscrewed the dip stick. Found the oil level up to the top of the opening! I remove about a quart of oil to bring it down to the full line on the dip stick.

Does anyone know if having the extra quart of oil did any damage to the engine? I've kept the engine rpm's below 4500 and plan to keep them there during the 600 mile break in.

Spyder Garage

I can't answer your question, but can tell you that if you checked the oil in a typical fashion, you may have gotten a high reading. If you haven't already done so, make sure you do it like the book says. Operating temperature & checked within about 30 seconds of shutting off the engine, if I recall correctly.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I can't answer your question, but can tell you that if you checked the oil in a typical fashion, you may have gotten a high reading. If you haven't already done so, make sure you do it like the book says. Operating temperature & checked within about 30 seconds of shutting off the engine, if I recall correctly.
    Engine was hot (20 mile drive from dealer), stopped and removed panel, restarted and idled about a minute before shut down. Immediately removed dip stick and oil level was at the dip stick threads (about two inches above full mark).

Spyder Garage

You checked the oil correctly. Engine was evidently over-full. This has happened with some other Spyders, when the tech checked the oil level cold...or after just idling until the gauge came up. No engine damage should have resulted. This is a dry sump engine, and it will usually withstand an oil level that is somewhat high or low, especially at lower rpm. You may have gotten some extra oil pushed into the airbox, however.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You checked the oil correctly. Engine was evidently over-full. This has happened with some other Spyders, when the tech checked the oil level cold...or after just idling until the gauge came up. No engine damage should have resulted. This is a dry sump engine, and it will usually withstand an oil level that is somewhat high or low, especially at lower rpm. You may have gotten some extra oil pushed into the airbox, however.