Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeaky Brakes

Spyder Garage

Default Squeaky Brakes

I purchased my new Spyder 6 months ago and everytime I applied the brakes to stop, they would squeak until a complete stop. Of course, my thought was new bike, new brakes and they will stop when I put some wear on them. Well...guess what? After the dealer's recommendation to do some hard breaking and 6 months later, they're still squeaking. My fellow Spyder Ryders, can you help me stop the squeaking?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Apply an anti squeak compound to the backs of the pads. This is now a standard procedure for the BRP techs. Also, there is a new compound pad that is a free upgrade if you are having problems. Check with your dealer to see if they have been installed.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

or just drive it..............
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

Ear plugs, worked great for me, no more sqeaking

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the world of the Spyder... 2+ years, 24,000 miles.... still have squeaky brakes. It's even been in for service 3 times for it and they had been changed at least once that I know of, maybe twice. You know a Spyder is coming when you hear those brakes. Some are worse than others and some don't do it at all... most do.

Good luck in silencing that nuisance. Meanwhile... Happy Spydering!!
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

BRP's Carlos told me yesterday that the company now has a third generation brake pad that's supposed to stop the squealing sound.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Are you guys trying the disc quiet? I have had NO noise since and it takes about half an hour.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcspyder View Post
    Apply an anti squeak compound to the backs of the pads. This is now a standard procedure for the BRP techs. Also, there is a new compound pad that is a free upgrade if you are having problems. Check with your dealer to see if they have been installed.
    Thanks bcspyder. I'll get with them,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jabba11 View Post
    or just drive it..............

Doing alot of that.. By the way, I like the Phantom look. Mine is identical except the windshield, wheels and exhaust.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcspyder View Post
    Are you guys trying the disc quiet? I have had NO noise since and it takes about half an hour.

What is the disc quiet? Explain please.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine Squeaks too

Mine have squeaked since the first day I rode it. Only have about 300 miles on it so far. My car brakes do the same thing and I have had them change and they still do it so I just figure I will get used to it like I did on the car.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Squeak

Elpaso;
    Disc Quiet is a product made by CRC and is available at most auto supply stores. I bought some about a year ago for my RS, but never got it applied. My RTS is now squeaking, so I guess it is time to use the product.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    BRP's Carlos told me yesterday that the company now has a third generation brake pad that's supposed to stop the squealing sound.
    Hmmm, I have heard that somewhere recently. Any chance the new pad is made by BP?

Spyder Garage

Default squeak gone

My spyder sounded louder then a semi when stopping.... drove me crazy... finally convinced the rep to replace the pads... "fixed the problem" ... had tried every remedy prior to that.
    The bikes/parts etc are put together on an assembly line... it's not unusual to expect the 30th/95th/205th/etc brake pad to be defective...I truly believe that was my problem.. dealer/rep did stand behind bike and fixed it....hang in there !!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1badspyder View Post
    I purchased my new Spyder 6 months ago and everytime I applied the brakes to stop, they would squeak until a complete stop. Of course, my thought was new bike, new brakes and they will stop when I put some wear on them. Well...guess what? After the dealer's recommendation to do some hard breaking and 6 months later, they're still squeaking. My fellow Spyder Ryders, can you help me stop the squeaking?
    For the money BRP gets for there machines stuff like this is just wrong.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine isn't squeaking as such, the noise is more like a cricket chirring. It seems to be coming from both front brakes. Is this the kind of noise others are talking about??
    John

2010 Spyder RT-S
    2010 Yamaha vMax
    2009 Yamaha vMax Dragbike, 284 RWHP 171# RWTQ
    2004 Yamaha vMax Supercharged
    1993 Yamaha GTS1000
    1999 Shelby Series 1 Supercharged
    1969 Camaro 502/T56
    1967 Shelby TransAm Mustang
    1966 427 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 289 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 427 Shelby Comp Cobra
    1964 289 Shelby Comp Cobra
    Way Too Many Others

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Dun! For now...

Just used CRC Desqueak- Rolls in neutral without a sound. Rode it around and worked the product into the rotors- Smooth as silk for the moment. I also lubed all of the linkage. Time will tell.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    Elpaso;
    Disc Quiet is a product made by CRC and is available at most auto supply stores. I bought some about a year ago for my RS, but never got it applied. My RTS is now squeaking, so I guess it is time to use the product.

Are you going to do it yourself, or take it to your dealer. read directioins, don't knoe where it goes?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by horse171 View Post
    My spyder sounded louder then a semi when stopping.... drove me crazy... finally convinced the rep to replace the pads... "fixed the problem" ... had tried every remedy prior to that.
    The bikes/parts etc are put together on an assembly line... it's not unusual to expect the 30th/95th/205th/etc brake pad to be defective...I truly believe that was my problem.. dealer/rep did stand behind bike and fixed it....hang in there !!!!
    Dealer will oder it for me, bur says he will charge me for parts and labor, bpc said its not a warranty issue because brakes are safe. I agree, but new vehicle should not squeke like all get out.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Default Squeaky brakes

elpaso;
    Maybe Carbolic can help with directions, since I haven't done mine yet, any instructions I could offer would be worth what they would cost you which is Nada! My understanding is that it is sprayed on the rotors. I still plan on doing it myself. If your dealer is going to charge you for parts and labor, I think I'd tell him to "Go take a powder", in a nice way.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by elpaso View Post
    Dealer will oder it for me, bur says he will charge me for parts and labor, bpc said its not a warranty issue because brakes are safe. I agree, but new vehicle should not squeke like all get out.
    I am far from a gearhead- This was easy- The CRC product is a spray powder- The front rotors were easy- I put the SPyder in neutral and used my hand to roll the bike slowly forward at the same time spraying 1 second blasts of the powder at the outside rotor until I had completed 1 revolution- You can easily see where you have been and what remains to be covered. I sprayed perpendicular to the rotors- I was well forward of the pads. Once completed, I went backwards on the inside of the front rotor. I repeated the process for the other side and rear. It is a bit tricky spraying from the left side of the rear because you have to spray through the wheel but still was not really a problem- When you reach a point in the wheel that does not permit you to spray 90 degrees perpindicular, just take the angle that is available. You can see that the powder is hitting the rotor.

Once complete, I rode the Spyder slowly, stopping to allow the pads to press the powder into the imperfections in the rotors. Initially, I had no breaks but after multiple stops and starts, I was good and best of all, NOT A SQUEAK, riding or pushing the bike in neutral. In particular, the bike moves very easily in neutral now. Next, I spray lubed the parking break linkage at the pedal and rear assembly as well as the calipers, just for good measure. It really was easy! Best of luck

Spyder Garage

Please understand that CRC makes two very different brake silencing products. CRC De-Squeak is an aerosol brake conditioner that is sprayed on the rotors to fill surface imperfections, silencing them for a while. CRC Disk Brake Quiet is a red liquid that is spread evenly on the back of the removed (or new) brake pads and allowed to cure. It forms a rubbery backing, which insulates the pads and reduces the vibration that causes the noise. One should follow the directions for either product very carefully, or brake function can be compromised. Using the wrong method with the wrong material could cause big problems!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Use a number 2 pencil to scribble on your rotors (discs). No more squeek.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake noise in reverse

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Please understand that CRC makes two very different brake silencing products. CRC De-Squeak is an aerosol brake conditioner that is sprayed on the rotors to fill surface imperfections, silencing them for a while. CRC Disk Brake Quiet is a red liquid that is spread evenly on the back of the removed (or new) brake pads and allowed to cure. It forms a rubbery backing, which insulates the pads and reduces the vibration that causes the noise. One should follow the directions for either product very carefully, or brake function can be compromised. Using the wrong method with the wrong material could cause big problems!
    I'm starting to experience a "groan" of sorts from the brakes when backing up. Do you think this is a brake noise that can be solved by using one of the CRC products?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just had my 3000 mile service done today. They installed the new break pads and the squeaking went away. Glad that I will not have to hear them squel anymore