Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Default Where do I find an explanation for Fault codes? Got code P0524

I have a fault code. Where do I find the explanation for them? I have an EDB fault, code P0524. Anybody have any ideas? I do have the CD shop manual.

Thanks
    Dwight

Spyder Garage

Low Engine Oil Pressure- most likely a bad switch

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont,
    I actually found the low oil pressure fault (PO524) but on the screen it also showed an EDB fault. I can't find what EDB is, but on page 151 of the owners manual under EDB fault is says it's a VSS malfunction and tells you to take it to the nearest dealer. Do I have two problems? What do you think?

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Ether way I would take it to your dealer (again).

Spyder Garage

Short of purchasing a shop manual, is there any place a list of fault codes can be found?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Midwest Manuals

You can't go wrong with a manual from Midwest-Manuals. It is only $25 on eBay.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Yep, back to the shop it goes! I called the dealer service desk and told him what was happening. First words out of his mouth "that sucks". I just picked it up Saturday after being in the shop for 17 days. In all fairness they did a good job, riding it home Saturday I finally got the same experience most of you did when you rode yours home, it worked like it should have. Took the wife for a nice long supper ride so she could see what it was like when it worked like it was supposed to. We were happy! Now I have to decide if I should put the Klicktronic shifter back on the Harley/CSC. We are supposed to leave May 29 for our big summer trip and I'm not sure the RT-S will be available and I do have some "trust" issue's with it now. I'll have to load the RT-S up on a trailer, the service guy said if the check engine light is flashing you shouldn't ride it. Hoping to get it there Wed afternoon. If it needs parts that means at least another 7 to 10 days down. What's a guy to do?

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Yep, back to the shop it goes! I called the dealer service desk and told him what was happening. First words out of his mouth "that sucks". I just picked it up Saturday after being in the shop for 17 days. In all fairness they did a good job, riding it home Saturday I finally got the same experience most of you did when you rode yours home, it worked like it should have. Took the wife for a nice long supper ride so she could see what it was like when it worked like it was supposed to. We were happy! Now I have to decide if I should put the Klicktronic shifter back on the Harley/CSC. We are supposed to leave May 29 for our big summer trip and I'm not sure the RT-S will be available and I do have some "trust" issue's with it now. I'll have to load the RT-S up on a trailer, the service guy said if the check engine light is flashing you shouldn't ride it. Hoping to get it there Wed afternoon. If it needs parts that means at least another 7 to 10 days down. What's a guy to do?

Dwight
    Dwight- Hopefully it won't take that long. Several RT's have experienced your symptoms and it was just a bad oil pressure switch. Its a quick quick fix.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Hey Widowmaker,
    I sure hope you're right!

Thanks
    Dwight

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey Widowmaker,
    I sure hope you're right!

Thanks
    Dwight
    I feel your pain!
    Please keep us posted.
    Best wishes

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Got it back Saturday. Runs fine. Service rep couldn't give me a specific reason for the problem. He said they thought it was corrosion on some connection? I'm not happy about that but what can I do? I've ridden it in the rain and washed it a couple of times, should I not do that? I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be a fair weather ride! I don't think they were sure they had fixed it, they took it on a 40 mile test ride. We leave the 29th for our summer trip, guess we'll take out and see how far we make it!

Dwight

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Got it back Saturday. Runs fine. Service rep couldn't give me a specific reason for the problem. He said they thought it was corrosion on some connection? I'm not happy about that but what can I do? I've ridden it in the rain and washed it a couple of times, should I not do that? I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be a fair weather ride! I don't think they were sure they had fixed it, they took it on a 40 mile test ride. We leave the 29th for our summer trip, guess we'll take out and see how far we make it! Dwight
    Possible causes: Damaged switch, damaged circuit wires, damaged connector, damaged ECM pins.
    Service actions: A. Measure resistance between harness connector 6-EOP and ground when engine stopped. (expected value < 2 ohms)
    B. Measure resistance between harness connector 6-EOP and ground when engine running. (expected value = open)
    C. Measure resistance from harness connector: 6-EOP to 5-ECM-A10 (expected value: < 2 ohms)
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

I have a fault code. Where do I find the explanation for them? I have an EDB fault, code P0524. Anybody have any ideas? I do have the CD shop manual.

Thanks
    Dwight
    You should get a shop manuel if you are going to do your own work on the Spyder.
    I just got a P0524 fault code on mine(2500 mi). I agree with Lamonster that it is probably a bad oil pressure switch. I am headed out to the garage with my Ohm meter to check it out.(I was already pulling the side panels to install my ISCI foot pegs.) The switch is supposed to measure <2 Ohms to ground with the engine off and Open Circuit with the engine running. I'll let you know what the diagnosis is.
    Last edited by Bootie; 05-22-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    Dwight- Hopefully it won't take that long. Several RT's have experienced your symptoms and it was just a bad oil pressure switch. Its a quick quick fix.
    Where did you get a new pressure switch. From the Dealer??Or can we pick one up somewhere else.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    Where did you get a new pressure switch. From the Dealer??Or can we pick one up somewhere else.
    I am sure it can be had elsewhere but why? We are all under warranty.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    I am sure it can be had elsewhere but why? We are all under warranty.
    Since it is a round trip of 300mi for me to return to the Dealer I kind of figured on doing the repair myself. Hence the question about where to get the switch.
    I have another question for y'uns. If the switch is supposed to be Open after the oil pressure comes up, I should be able just to pull the wire off of the switch and get the same result, NO? When I do that, I still get the P0524 indication. Do I need to clear the fault code first? If so, how do I do that?

Spyder Garage

Since it is a round trip of 300mi for me to return to the Dealer I kind of figured on doing the repair myself. Hence the question about where to get the switch.
    I have another question for y'uns. If the switch is supposed to be Open after the oil pressure comes up, I should be able just to pull the wire off of the switch and get the same result, NO? When I do that, I still get the P0524 indication. Do I need to clear the fault code first? If so, how do I do that?
    I think I answered my own question. The EOP switch seems to be OK. There is a dynamic test described in the manual. I'll go try that but now, the problem seems to be with the wiring.

Spyder Garage

I think I answered my own question. The EOP switch seems to be OK. There is a dynamic test described in the manual. I'll go try that but now, the problem seems to be with the wiring.
    Well, the circuit wiring seems to be OK. So the manual says TRY a new EOP switch. I suppose I'll have to haul it into the dealer for that. I have all the tupperware off so I'll have to trailer it itIt being Saturday at 4:00 I'll probably have to wait until Monday

Spyder Garage

Well, the circuit wiring seems to be OK. So the manual says TRY a new EOP switch. I suppose I'll have to haul it into the dealer for that. I have all the tupperware off so I'll have to trailer it itIt being Saturday at 4:00 I'll probably have to wait until Monday
    Same situation myself. Light clears when switch is disconnected, but code and limp mode do not. Disconnecting the battery will not reset it. If it is a reset issue, it must be done via BUDS, but I suspect new switches will be needed too, despite testing good with the ohmmeter. Call your dealer first, they are not likely to have one in stock.

My trailer is full of 18 replacement windows I puicked up last week. Now I have to figure where to put those so I can load the RTS. How do I get myself into these fixes?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Same situation myself. Light clears when switch is disconnected, but code and limp mode do not. Disconnecting the battery will not reset it. If it is a reset issue, it must be done via BUDS, but I suspect new switches will be needed too, despite testing good with the ohmmeter. Call your dealer first, they are not likely to have one in stock.

My trailer is full of 18 replacement windows I puicked up last week. Now I have to figure where to put those so I can load the RTS. How do I get myself into these fixes?
    Scotty, thanks for your input. I was just about to unhook the battery and see if that would reset the codes. I guess I won't waste my time now.
    There is an Aprilla dealer about 15min from my house. The Aprilla uses the same Rotax 990 engine. Maybe they will have the EOP switch. If they do, I'll just buy it and go ahead and replace mine. I still won't know what to do about the reset, though.

Do you know anything about this BUDS thingy. Can we purchase the computer and software. It seems like alot of waste to drive 300 miles just to have them reset the freekin' codes.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

every once in a while I get the p0524 error and limp mode when starting cold. Take off and get to 3rd gear and it goes away. Never does it when warm. The oil light never stays on after starting though. The oil level is full. Dealer unsure of what to do as they see no error codes.

Spyder Garage

... Can we purchase the computer and software...
    No.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Smile P0524 Fault Code

Quote Originally Posted by dave711 View Post
    every once in a while I get the p0524 error and limp mode when starting cold. Take off and get to 3rd gear and it goes away. Never does it when warm. The oil light never stays on after starting though. The oil level is full. Dealer unsure of what to do as they see no error codes.
    Well, I checked the EOP switch and the wiring, using a good Ohmmeter" and all seems well. I added enough oil to bring it to the "Full" mark (it was down a bit, I added 16oz). The fault codes were still in vogue so I did what Dave did and took it out on the road, got it up to 40 mph in 3rd gear and in about 1 minute the "limp" mode disappeared. I checked the fault codes when I got back to my house and it still said P0524. I took the ignition key out and put it back in and the fault code went away. It seems to be running fine now. I am going to take it out for a test ride this evening.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Bootie,
    Glad to hear that! I took mine to the shop for the P0524 and they couldn't find anything, said they thought it had a corroded connector! Doublespeak for " we don't know what is wrong". If it happens again I'll try your way.

Thanks
    Dwight

Spyder Garage

Bootie,
    Glad to hear that! I took mine to the shop for the P0524 and they couldn't find anything, said they thought it had a corroded connector! Doublespeak for " we don't know what is wrong". If it happens again I'll try your way.

Thanks
    Dwight
    I would worry a bit about your shop. The P0524 code is explained in the shop manual. The procedures to follow to troubleshoot it are in the manual, too. You check the sensor with an ohmmeter, then chech the wiring. If, at that point the oil light continues to be on (and the P0524 code remains) you are supposed to "try replacing the sensor".

Not sure that I am comfortable trying the 40 mph/3rd gear fix with the oil light on and having not taken a wet oil pressure test, even though the switch changes contact when the engine starts. I also have an oil leak somewhere, so mine will probably go into the shop.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!